The Deadliest Game: an urban adventure of deadly intrigue

Old Nov 8 '12, 9:02pm
Great Wyrm

The Deadliest Game: an urban adventure of deadly intrigue

The Deadliest Game - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Nov 25 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

So I decided to start up an urban campaign in a capital city of 200,000 ish souls in my homebrew world of Akuroth. Read up on the setting info here. The threads are listed in order of importance (top down) but for the richest understanding of the world and how you can make a character that feels organic to that world necessitate at least skimming all of it.

Character apps go here, please. Character creation instructions can also be found there, but here's the short of it:

Level 6, any 3.0/3.5 sources *except* ToB, ToM, Incarnum, Psionics, or Eberron (even if it was included in a core book later). No exceptions. If you want campaign-specific stuff from other settings, run it by me and I'll see if it works. Also, no BoVD for PCs. Pretty much anything/everything else is on the table. Level includes any racial HD.

Races: I'd rather not have anything more than +2 LA. Also it has to be a race that wouldn't be completely out of place in the city of Ninuroth as described in the setting information. So probably no outsiders or funky monsters or animals.

I'd like to have a balanced party but in the end it will come down to who has the best writing and backstories. Also just because this is an urban campaign doesn't mean I need or want only sneaky/guileful characters. Yes, rogues, bards, beguilers etc. fit well but I'd rather not have every application be for one of those types. I draw HEAVILY from Cityscape (obviously) so anything in there is fine/encouraged.

In your backgrounds at the end make sure you specify how and/or why you are in the city now (if you haven't been in the city forever anyway). Also if you end up having any strange/powerful/out-there magical items it'd be nice but not necessarily required to know how you acquired them, as regular people in Ninuroth can't just go out and throw down a pile of gold to buy a +2 vampiric greatsword of smiting, or whatever.

Game Description:

Soaring towers, gleaming palaces, grand banquets, shining armor, gold flowing like water; dirty shacks, grimy canals, moldy bread, cold nights in dirty rags. Only in Ninuroth, capital city of the nation of Halvar in the world of Akuroth, can such things coexist normally. A city of both luxurious excess and crippling poverty, of haves and have-nots, Ninuroth is the oldest and largest continually inhabited city in the world -- it's also one of the most quietly conflicted.

Perched at the seaside mouth of the great river Ninur, the city is home to an aging and decrepit king and his young trophy wife, who become less concerned with the fate of the people day by day -- and who have no heir. The distant and exotic land of Teth has its own problems, and is trying to weasel its way into Halvar's good graces to share in its wealth. The Great Houses squabble and scheme amongst themselves for power in the shadow of the king's impending death. Rumors of rebellion are stirring from a loosely-governed barony in the North. Accusations of corruption and treason are shot between many. The neglected and downtrodden struggle to make their voices heard. The city's various factions jostle and deal with each other and outside powers to solidify their footing among the people, the poor of whom continue to starve and despair, forgotten and unmourned by their supposedly benevolent rulers.

It's all business as usual in the First City of Man. That is, until someone comes along to change it. Could it be you?

Half orc is fresh enough for me, I usually don't use them because of the bad stuff on them, but desert half orcs are nice.

+2 con -2 int, perfect for divine

If +2 LA is preferred, how are we handling monster HD? Are we just ignoring it?

Well, HD would be included if it's more than 1 HD. If it's a level-adjusted monster with 1 HD, just ignore that 1 HD. But if it has 2 HD or more then both HD are included. So ECL not including character class would be the LA + the HD.

+2 LA is the maximum preferred LA, I'm not saying I WANT players to apply with +2 LA races, I'm just saying that's the maximum I am willing to consider. I would prefer non-adjusted races but +1 and +2 LA races are not off the table.

Ah, okay, thanks. I was looking over the races and thought about a varag with a bit of a colored past as a fighting beast and hunting aid, since they're a goblinoid they should exist in the world. Just an idea.

EDIT: Varags are +2 LA with 3 monster HD, so that would mean it would be ECL 4 before class levels, correct? Well, if that's fine that I play one. If not many people are playing LA races then I may just play something like an illumian.

Actually it would be ECL 5 before class levels...LA + HD + class levels. You're welcome to try to make something of it if you want.

Ah, so the varag would come into this as a level 2 in class level, but still have an HD of 5? Since they have a monster HD of 3, so that plus 2 from class levels?
I've played D&D since I was little, but never dealt with monster HD. It was always handled with some sort of house rule, so excuse my ignorance, heheh.

no, it could only have 1 class level because starting level is 6 for this game. Varag has 3 racial HD, add their +2 LA and you get 5, leaving 1 level left for a class starting for this game.

Aiight, thanks. So in the long run you're going to be quite a bit under-powered compared to others who don't have a LA, it seems. Considering it would take the equivalent of getting from level 6 to 7 to get to level 2, correct? Thus slowing down your overall class progression. Might be easier to apply a template and use a buy-off, if that's being done..Or, well, not use a high LA race, heheh.

LOL yeah, personally I think it's best to just go with a LA 0 or LA+1 race and enjoy the power of class levels rather than racial abilities and HD...unless you are in a very high-powered game and are playing an ogre mage or a mind flayer or something. :P

Yeah, since early on it's beast, but then you soon feel left behind like an 18 year old freshman in high school, hahah. So I may go with my original idea of aasimar or illumian knight.