Feeling like going back to high school and fighting demons?

Old Nov 9 '12, 12:38am
Young Dragon

Feeling like going back to high school and fighting demons?

High School Girls RPG - Forum
Miscellaneous
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Hello!

Well, this is a high school girls RPG campaign with the Magical Girls option. Fight against demons, protect your town, go to school, find a boyfriend (or girlfriend), miss a date because you were fighting demons, miss class because you overslept (hey, fighting demons during the night is tiring), explain why you get bruises, cuts, and scars so often... Well, that's about it. Anyone up for it?

Game Description:

Hello! Is anyone interested in a game of High School Girls RPG (a French amateur tabletop game where you play as high school girls)?

You are just an ordinary American high school girl. You know the drill. Going to class. Finding a boyfriend (or a girlfriend). Stuff like that.

Well, I lied. You are heiresses of a legendary demon hunting warrior clan. You must fight back against demonic schemes. You aren't as ordinary as you first thought, and your power is awakening. But surely spending the night fighting demons is no excuse for dozing off in class, or for turning in a project two days late...

So, are you ready to defend the part of the world under your responsibility?

The system is pretty simple. It uses only a 10 sided die compared to a skill.

Also, I would like between 3 and 5 players. That's all.

I just saw that you've been posting the rules. I'll have an app asap!

EDIT:
SHEET MOVED BELOW

Edit x2combo: I took mythomaniac because I was hoping for her to have not-the-greatest home life, and pathological liars tend to come from broken homes. Didn't look like there were any profiles that effectively showed that. It's also the reason that, while naive seems like it would have been great for the concept, I didn't take it.

Next, are skills and powers. Those work pretty much the same. You can take as many skills as your Intelligence score as mastered skills. These ignore the unskilled penalty, and as such are equal to your attribute. Some (like combat sports) cannot be used untrained (these are indicated by an X where the penalty should be). Other unmastered skill use your attribute minus the unskilled penalty as their values (between parenthesis after the skill name). A skill minimun value is 1. To increase a skill, you must first master it (it is possible to train in a skill to master it after character creation, I'll post the experience rules afterward).

fitness skills:

Brawl (-2)
Running (-2)
Riding (-6)
Climbing (-2)
Throwing/Throwing sports (0)
Swimming (-3)
Jumping (0)
Combat sports (X)
Team sports (-3)
sliding sports (X)

Intelligence skills:

Persuasion (-2)
Conversation (0)
Cooking (-1)
Ear bashing (0)
Computer Science (-5)
Acting (-2)
First aid (-2)
Cheating at exams (-2)

Dexterity skills:

Tumbling (-3)
Sewing (-2)
Drawing (-2)
Stealth (0)
Dodge (0)
Forgery (-2)
Make up (-1)
Parry (-3)
Painting (-2)
Artistic sports (X)
Motorbike (-2)
Bike (0)

Charisma skills

Attract attention (0)
Seduce (0)

Perception skills

Search (0)
Disguise (-1)
Photo (-1)
Shooting/shooting sports (-3)
Video (-1)

Emotion skills:

Singing/Karaoke (-1)
Dance (-2)
Party (0)
Fashion (0)
Music (X)
Good manners (-1)

You can also add bonus points to spend in any skill in the list. 8 points if your character 15 or younger, 10 if she 16-17, 12 if she is 18 or older.

Powers work in a similar way, except you need to have a power to use it, as those can't be used untrained. Also, as a rule mod, some powers are active (meaning you need to spend power points to use them), other are passive.

You have Emotion*4 maximum Power Points (PP). You recover PP by spending time not casting powers.

At first, you get Emotion/2 powers, rounded down. You also get (emotion/2 -1) points to spend to increase your powers, plus 1 point if your character is 16-17, and +2 points if she is 18 or older.

Powers are classified by sphere. Each sphere gets several powers, that can be as varied as you have imagination for it.

Animals (animal control, summoning animals...) (Emotions)
One for each element (You can get a generic attack, it's power depending on your ranks, or a hindering power) (Depends on the element, water can get a high pressure attack able to cut through materials or a fog spell, fire can get a generic flame throwing attack or a mirage (using heat to mess with sight).
Appearance (invisibility, clothing change...) (Mostly Int)
Blessings (healing, soothing stress and tiredness...) (Emotions)
Magical protection (shields and things like that) (Dext or Intelligence)
Movement (teleport, flying...) (Physical stats)
Mind manipulation (Intelligence)
Curses (The opposite of blessings)
Light (Blinding light...)
Sound (deafening sound...)
Self enhancements (passive) (Toughness, Armored Body, Combat Prowess, Sixth sense, analytical mind (analyzing opponents for weaknesses...), speed)

Powers will manifest during the first encounter with the demons, by the way. So no mention of them in the background.

Using a skill or power is pretty simple. Just roll 1D10, and if you roll under or equal to your skill or power, you succeed in using it.

That was pretty long. Next, school subjects and finishing touch, and it will be done.

PS: Lundgren: So far so good. I understand what you mean about pathological liars and broken homes... Haven't you read that from Cracked?

I don't get what you meant to do with skills... Did you checked your attribute value for your skills and applied the penalty for it (except for mastered skills), and then added the points you had available? And the max for a power or skill is 10.

Also, when you buy a sphere, could you please tell me what kind of powers you plan on having and using? So I can stat them, since not all of them might have the same attribute (like self enhancement includes toughness and armored body (both fitness), combat prowess (dex), Six Sense (Perception), Analytical mind (Int) and speed (Dex)). Points in a sphere at character creation applies to all the sphere, but experience apply only with the powers you will be using.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Edit: Alright, let me try to explain again. All skills except those marked as X start with your attribute minus the penalty if untrained, all trained skills start with your attribute. (If you decide to master Computer Sciences, you start with 5 (your Int). If you decide to master Music, you start with 10 (your emotion).) (example: Your brawl would be 4 (6 (Fitness) - 2 (penalty)), if you didn't mastered Computer Sciences, it would be 1 (5 (Int) - 5 (Penalty), but skills cannot go under 1).) After choosing your mastered skills, you can spend points in any skill not marked X (unless you mastered them). I probably wasn't clear enough, and it's a bit of a quirky system...

Edit 2: You can spend point in any skill not marked X (unless you master a skill marked X).

Edit 3: An unmastered skill start at a value equal to attribute - penalty (example: running: 6 - 2 equal 4 in your case). Except for skills marked X. Those cannot be used untrained.

Answer: As long as they aren't marked X, yes.

Edit: skills are good for now. Now for powers, they work a lot like mastered skills. So your blessings start at 10 (Emotion based powers), the maximal value. Barriers work on Fitness (6). Animals work on Emotions (10), water and light on Intelligence (5). You can spend your 5 points to enhance your spheres, and when you will use specific powers, they will have a chance of improving.

Now, let's review the power effect.

Is that okay?

Can we put points in skills we haven't mastered or not?

Edit: Alright. How do things look now?

Edit 2 (sort of): All of those look fine to me! I'll edit the sheet to take stats into account in a moment.

Now, school subjects and finishing touches, and after that, character generation will be over. Then, I'll explain how combat and magical combat works.

You have 7 subjects. (If I make a mistake in naming classes, or in choosing actual classes, feel free to correct me), and can take up to 3 optional classes.

English
World History and Geography
Language course 1
Language course 2

Algebra
Physics and Chemistry
Natural Sciences

Optional class 1
Optional class 2
Optional class 3

In each subject, your character has a score equal to Intelligence + points spend (max 20). You have 40 points, + 5 per optional class taken.

Note: if an optional class is also a skill (like Computer Science), you use double the skill instead of Intelligence + points. You still get the + 5 subject points per optional class taken.

Finishing touch:

Where does your character live? What is her family like? What does she always has in her pockets? Does she have some secrets?

What does she likes to do? Is she a member of some club?

What are her friends like? Her enemies? A boyfriend (or girlfriend)? Or someone she likes more than others?

What kind of items does she possesses? A Playstation? Sports equipment? A computer? Some comics or manga? A personal diary?

Next, the rules.

Alrighty, thanks.

EDIT: And the completed sheet!

Amy Yuki

Final Edit: This was amazingly fun to make a character for.

Perfect, Lundgren, you're all set, apart from a little detail: your Computer Science optional class level is equal to twice your Computer Science skill, and that's all. To increase your optional class score, you need to increase your skill. Now, rules explanation time!

The general rules are pretty straightforward. 1D10, you must roll under your attribute or skill. Emotion checks are the odd ones out: you must roll above your Emotions to keep them in control. (10 is always a success.) So high emotion is a double edged sword: sure, you get more powers. But you are also more emotionally vulnerable. If you like to play an emotionally vulnerable character, go ahead. If not, then between 6 and 8 is a good score.

School subject work differently. I am not really familiar with the grade system... The system is made for a grade from 0 to 20, like in France (cause it's a French tabletop RPG). The base system is, when going to an exam, you score in the subject your score - 2D10 + 10 + bonus for being extra studious (or - penalty for not studying seriously). It is used to make a grade between 0 and 20. So I need the help of someone more familiar with the grade system to convert that part.

Then, since you will be expected to fight against demons, here are the rules for combat and magical attacks:

Combat: You start by rolling initiative. 1D10 + Dex. Higher rolls go first. In case of a tie, higher Dex goes first, then higher Fitness. If both are equal, reroll to see whom goes first.

Any character attacks once during his/her/it's turn.

The attacker rolls for the attack using his/her/it's Brawl skill (or combat sports, if he has it). The defender rolls either his/her/it's parry skill or his/her/it's dodge skill to avoid the attack. The higher success margins wins. In case of a tie, a defender's success or if both miss, the blow/shot/spell fails to connect.

Multiple attacks: Any attack after the first that a defender has to try to avoid gives him/her/it a -2 cumulative penalty. So if your magical girl is attacked by 3 demons, the first attack is resolved normally. The second one gives a -2 penalty to the magical girl defense. The third one a -4.

Special cases:

1: Characters with 7 in Combat Sports can use it instead of parrying. Also, they can use 2 melee attacks per round, and suffer only a -1 cumulative penalty when faced with multiple attacks.

2: A magical girl with the Combat Prowess power 5 to 7 gets an extra attack and defense, A Combat Prowess power of 8 or 9 gives two, and a Combat Prowess of 10 gives three extra attacks and defenses.

3: Using a ranged weapon uses either the Shooting/Shooting sports skill or Throwing/Throwing sports skills. In the former case, a parry is impossible, unless you are at point blank range (you can also parry for your friend if you are at that range). Also, if your magical girl somehow manages to acquire an automatic gun (or if she has to face a mind controlled SWAT/US Army member with such a gun), a burst gives a +1 bonus to hit, expands 10 rounds, and 1D10 rounds hit, damage is rolled for each round.

4: (Homebrew) Anyone with a skill of 6 in Combat Sports, 8 in Brawl, or 4 in Combat Prowess can deal non lethal melee attacks. The target cannot get lower than 0 Hit points, and as such cannot die, although it can fall into a coma. Anyone with 8 in combat prowess can use non lethal attacks with ranged weapons. All it takes if you meet the requirements is to declare it.

Magical combat:

Magical attacks cannot be parried. (Homebrew) Also, if you have 6 ranks in a power, you can use it non lethally (see above)

Standard attack: Make an roll under your power. If you you deal damage depending on your ranks in the power, and how many power points you spend (1 to 3).

Area attack: You attack everything in an area. A high pressure circular water burst, a fireball... You can spend 8, 10, or 12 power points to deal more devastation. You make one power roll against every target. Dodge rolls against area attacks are done at a -2 penalty. With 8 point, you can affect a radius of 5 to 10 meters (your choice), burst center up to 40 meters away. With 10 points, a radius of 8 to 15 meters, burst center up to 60 meters away. With 12 points, a radius of 10 to 20 meters, burst center up to 80 meters away. (Sorry for my use of metric system, but it is the system used by scientists after all... 2 meters are approximatively equal to 5 feet if you want a quick, dirty and approximate conversion.) Making an area attack takes your entire round.

And then, you get combination attacks.

First, take the lower power value of all participant (they do not need to use the same power. Even opposite powers (water/fire) work. This determines the maximal number of magical girls able to make the attack. Then, average the power score of every magical girl. The one whom spend the more points makes the roll with the average value. Then, the defender makes a dodge roll, with a penalty depending on how many magical girls launched a combination attack. (2 to 3: -1. 4 to 5: -2. More than 5: -3). Everyone rolls damage, all damage is added and doubled. Such an attack costs more power points though: it requires one additional power point per attacker for all attacker (for example, 3 attackers means each of them spends 3 more PP for the attack). (BTW, it is possible to make a combined area attack.)

Anytime a high school student is hit in combat, he/she must roll an emotion check to keep control of herself. If you have mastered Brawl, Combat Sports, the courageous trait, or have access to Combat Prowess, your emotions are considered one point lower for this purpose (the four previous conditions are cumulative). Failure means you react badly to the hit, even if it didn't deal damage (panic, rage, freezing...). Also, different conditions can help, like a soothing spell or things like that.

Damage: An ordinary person has 3*Fitness Health Points (HP). Loss of less than one third HP is a light wound. Loss of between one third and two third HP is a serious wound, imposing a -2 penalty to all rolls. Loss of more than two third HP is critical wound. When critically wounded, a character needs to succeed at a Fitness roll or pass out. Then, he suffers a -4 penalty to all rolls. 0 HP is a coma. [homebrew] Negative HP is a dying status. You must roll fitness every minute (with one less second for every negative HP) until you either receive first aid or fail and die. [/homebrew]

Healing: [homebrew] You recover Fitness HP per night of rest. Non magical girl recover 1 HP per night of rest. Someone healing another one during this night's sleep adds his success margin to a first aid roll to this value (half as much in the case of a non magical girl). [/homebrew]

Special case: Magical girls or demons with the Toughness self enhancement power add thrice their toughness to their HP.

Everybody gets it? If you have any question, feel free to ask.

Next and last rule parts: Sickness, tiredness and experience.

Makes sense to me.
Seems you could get the grading system into an American standard by just multiplying the result by 5.
Since most highschools in the US have it set up something like this:
A - 92 - 100
B - 83 - 91
C - 74 - 82
D - 65 - 73
F - Below 65

A perfect grade (20) on the rolls would correlate to a perfect grade (100%).
Probably not the prettiest conversion, though.