Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Armistice Day

Armistice Day

It is now turning the 11th of November in Australia, and as time marches inexorably on, the same will happen in Germany, France, the UK, the US, and everywhere else in the world. Take a deep breath, relax, remember the sixteen million who died, many horribly, fighting "The Last War."

Quote:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
-John McCrae, 1919

There is one other piece that I often think of this time of year, and perhaps you will appreciate it as much as I do.

Waltzing Matilda

Sadly, in my experience, it's no longer so much 'remembering them' as it is 'remembering that they were'.

It is worth noting that the idea of a "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" originated out of WW1, and those "Unknown Soldiers" are, generally speaking, soldiers from WW1.

I myself cannot come up with fitting words for those known only to God, so I will not attempt to do so. However, there are unknowns throughout history: Men, and yes, women too, who laid down their lives without even the benefit of their families having the chance for closure, simply a "Missing: Presumed Dead".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Sadly, in my experience, it's no longer so much 'remembering them' as it is 'remembering that they were'.
In the UK, we now use this day to remember the victims of all conflicts, past and ongoing.