Notices

Song of Ice and Fire RPG

Song of Ice and Fire RPG

Looking for some players for an RPG!

yea whenever you guys get an idea put them on here so I can let you know if it looks all good, once we have decent number of people we can get to playing. Also if you have any ideas for a specific type of storyline you would like to run then let me know that as well.

Once I get some input as far as storyline preferences then I can put together out actual setting etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud View Post
Interested in this. Tossing around a few ideas.

Hey Lock, if you're making a scheming, non-combat type, any use for a loyal retainer?
What schemer doesn't have a use for someone like that? Daud before I start developing my character do you have a preferences on what kingdom we'll be from? My Level of nobility? Primary source of income?

In regards to the setting:
Of the two options I would prefer the second. Despite the rebellion the era to follow was a little too peaceful for my taste. I'm not necessarily saying it should be during a war but I'd prefer a little less stability.

dragon8u - first off awesome name, secondly we are going to be using a really freeform system which essentially has no system. This will be much closer to collective storytelling and actual roleplaying than the typical system which includes lot of calculation.

lock426 - sounds good to me. hopefully you guys will keep giving me some more ideas, my plan is that on friday I will compile all the input ive gotten and put together a specific setting for us. Based on what you've said I think a type of larger war in westeros could be interesting, perhaps a war of succession with many warring factions. If we go down that road we would probably have to pick one faction/kingdom that all the pcs would have to be aligned with.

Oh also I here is a sample character I put together, the background stuff doesnt hve to be this long but this is basic idea of info im looking for in a character. Also I may end up using this character at some point

Ser Ari Dawnstar of Sunspear

Name: Ser Ari Dawnstar, also called "Ogre the One Stroke" and by some he is known simply as "Ogre"
Family: Ser Arlan Dawnstar (father), Lady Rhoana Dalt of Lemonwood(mother), Ser Doran Dawnstar (older brother), Lady Lysene Qorgyle of Sandstone(sister-in-law), Rhiannon (younger sister)
Religion: the seven
Class: man at arms
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Green

Allegiance: Seven Kingdoms of Westeros/Dorne ---> Sealord of Braavos ---> unnamed Queen

Background: Ari was the second son to lord Arlan Dawnstar of Sunspear. As such he had infinitely less expectations placed on him than his older brother who was named after their leige lord, the prince of Dorne. Growing up in sunspear and being of higher social standing allowed him to pursue his love of swordsmanship from a young age. Fascinated by the knights that would appear in court and by foreign warriors alike including Tyroshi, Lysene, and Braavosi swordsman that would come into port, Ari dedicated his life to swordplay even quickly besting his elder brother.

Acknowledged as a prodigy early on this talent was fostered and Ari grew to become incredibly proficient as a swordsman. He was even occasionally sent across the Narrow sea to participate in tournaments to earn respect for his family, his leige lord and even a name for himself. Due to a particular technique of his where often he would win duels in a single strike, resembling an iaido swordsplay technique but instead of a katana, primarily using a braavosi blade, Ari earned the nickname "Ogre the One Stroke." Through out many of the Free cities of Essos Ari was called this due to his technique (one stroke) and the fact that he was barbaric because he was from Westeros (Ogre).

Eventually his renown grew enough that Prince Doran thought it appropriate to knight this fine swordsman. Ari was a knight in name but still more a tourney and prize fighter in truth. He was often entered in tourneys in westeros and won great fame in the sword events but did not compete in the tilts so he would never become the most renowned of knights in the seven kingdoms.

One day back in Dorne, Ari spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, a mummer from Braavos. She had beautiful golden hair and a face that knew sorrow but most intriguing of all was her voice. Her songs were mesmerizing and echoed that sorrow that her face knew so well but gave it such beauty. Ari was swept away by it all. She called herself Oriana and it turned out she was blind, born that way. The two of them fell in love quickly and Ari convinced her to leave her troupe to stay with him in Dorne, she could be his wife or at least his paramour.

Meanwhile, as this secret romance was budding, Ari was unknowingly placed into a marriage contract with the Lady Priscilla of Nightsong to help build a foundation of friendship between Dorne and Highgarden. Ari found out about this arrangement and decided to keep Oriana a secret for the time being, hoping to bring her up at a more convenient time. Priscilla turned out to be a very controlling, jealous and honestly a bit crazy woman. Ari knew he could never tell her or anyone about Oriana if he was to go through with this marriage which he was about to oppose but Oriana convinced him otherwise telling him that he had an obligation to play out and that this union could help to create peace, no matter what she would still be his. So Oriana stayed his little secret.

The marriage went through and relations between Highgarden and Dorne began to improve as a result. Unfortunately about a year into the marriage Priscilla's suspicions led her to discover Oriana. The next time Ari went to visit her they were abducted by a large guard and brought before Priscilla. Bound and held down by four men, Oriana was killed in front of Ari and as this was happening, Priscilla used a knife to stab out Ari's right eye and was about to get the left as well to complete the effect of having his lover killed before him as his last sight, but through sheer will and unbridled emotion Ari was able to break free from his captors. He was like a flash and grabbed a sword, killed the four men who were there and was about to kill his wife when she revealed to him that she was pregnant, he only believed it when he was able to see the bump and somehow he was able to resist and allowed Priscilla to live. He gathered up Oriana's body and left Nightsong for Braavos.

There he brought Oriana's ashes and after finding out where she was born he placed them there to honor her memory by bringing her back home. For the next several months he began to drink heavily and would go out at night and start fights in the streets against other Braavos earning a rather sinister reputation. His swordplay was still certainly impressive but diminished from before due to having lost an eye and his overwhelming grief.

Eventually Ari was confronted by Syrio Forel and was defeated in a duel. Syrio was able to see the deep suffering in this man and decided to help him by taking him on as a student and trained Ari in the ways of the water dancer. After years of training, this allowed Ari to become an even better swordsman than he had before because he learned to utilize all of his senses to high degrees to predict enemies' movements. The teachings of Syrio also were able to help Ari move past his grief by accepting that the fact that his life had been spared meant there was still meaning in it. Death comes for all men, but at the proper time and someday that time would come but not today.

One night Ari had a dream of a young woman with crown who was surrounded by foes and Ari defended her from these enemies and when they were defeated he felt a sense of peace and wholeness. He decided he had to find this mysterious "queen" and felt that he would have to return to westeros to do so. So after 6 years away, Ari was finally returning to Westeros to try and find his "queen".

lock426- yes he was. i wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics of Ser Ari, this is just a sample of what id expect, but depending on the scenario we decide to run, Ser Ari could show up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock426 View Post
What schemer doesn't have a use for someone like that? Daud before I start developing my character do you have a preferences on what kingdom we'll be from? My Level of nobility? Primary source of income?
I was kind of imagining maybe you'd be a character of a lower nobility, a lord/lady pretty much only in title. Not a lot of land, not a lot of resources, but cunning and charismatic enough to make what little you have go very, very far. As far as the kingdom, it doesn't really matter to me.

I have two ideas for your retainer; one's a gruff sellsword who follows you out of interest first and income second; skilled with a variety of weapons but wins a lot of fights with dirty tricks and generally dishonorable (but effective) means of combat. The other is a Water Dancer, a poor girl who grew up into a woman in a man's world, and after a life of rape and abuse has more or less identified herself as being a man. This one would probably require our characters to have a much more connected backstory than the first. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud View Post
I was kind of imagining maybe you'd be a character of a lower nobility, a lord/lady pretty much only in title. Not a lot of land, not a lot of resources, but cunning and charismatic enough to make what little you have go very, very far. As far as the kingdom, it doesn't really matter to me.

I have two ideas for your retainer; one's a gruff sellsword who follows you out of interest first and income second; skilled with a variety of weapons but wins a lot of fights with dirty tricks and generally dishonorable (but effective) means of combat. The other is a Water Dancer, a poor girl who grew up into a woman in a man's world, and after a life of rape and abuse has more or less identified herself as being a man. This one would probably require our characters to have a much more connected backstory than the first. Thoughts?
That's not too far off from what I was planning. Especially the lack of resources as I need an excuse for why I'm traveling so much. My preference of the two options is the sell sword. I was considering making my kingdom the crown lands. that way I won't be compelled to automatically take my liege lords side in any conflicts that arise or be branded a traitor.

lock426 - Im not sure if the logic behind having the crown lands as your kingdoms location would allow you a lot of freedom. Basically whoever controls king's landing/the iron throne owns you. So if we re going with a war of succession then one faction would likely be in current control of that land, the other scenario is you are in the middle of the battlefield because everyone wants to control that central location above all else. So if you want any sort of freedom at all in declaring your support, do not put yourself in the crown lands. In fact I would suggest moving as far from it as possible, maybe even be located in Essos looking to gain some benefit via involvement in Westeros, sort of like Illyrio.