Fantastic Journeys

Old Nov 5 '12, 1:20am
Young Dragon

Fantastic Journeys

Walkers - Forum
GURPS - Fantasy
Ad Closes: Nov 28 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Whatever your life in your home realm you have now entered into something much greater. As a walker you will see many things that those limited to a single realm will never see , and you may be the only thing standing against a threat to the entire multiverse.

I am thinking 200/-75 for characters with the Campaign TL being 5

though you can personally come from any realm between 0 and 5 some possibly divergent such as a TL 3+2 realm that accomplishes the same thing using magic or a material unique to that realm rather than the normal methods

Game Description:

You are one of a group of incredibly rare individuals. You are a Walker able to to jump between realms. You will start the game after just becoming aware of your abilities after unwillingly being transported to a small pocket realm where you find several others as surprised as you are. You have only whatever you were carrying when your transportation occurred.

This game is loosely inspired by things such as Magic the gathering and the Pendragon Adventure Book series. Your characters will end up traveling across realms and while there will be an overarching threat there will be significant freedom to pursue your own ends and try and find other plot hooks

Here's a question for you: Survival, Naturalist, etc. are specific to planet. Are different dimensions effectively different planets or are they all considered the same planet?

They are effectively different planets though in many regards such as basic flora and fauna they will be quite similar except for some of the more exotic worlds. I'll likely end up giving penalties depending on the difference between them but not as harsh as in BS unless it is one of the more exotic worlds

This looks interesting, but what I am not seeing is how the group will be cohesive. If we have six people from six planets and backgrounds spready across five TL's, and the players will be sandbox to pursue their own goals when they land on a new world...

The game sounds like low-tech/fantasy sliders.

At low TL's travel wasn't a big deal so some may not even realize they are on a different planet. And I would expect that the overriding concern for each would be to go home.

Unless there is some outside influence as to why we would not be focusing on going home? Recruited to save worlds? Tasked to observe and report on significant chronological events?

Sliders seemed to be just a matter of surviving in whatever environment they landed in until they could jump again, and each time hoping this jump took them home.

I can easily come up with a character. Coming up with a concept that is going to do more than try and go home is where I am running into a block with the information provided.

Part of what may keep the group together at first will be working together to try and get home if that's their aim as the ability to travel is not reliable to start. There will also be an overarching threat to multiple worlds that would likely draw the characters in to a more cohesive unit.

And as to why you would not just run home there are several possible reasons, you are an outcast on your own world, you have a love of exploration, you feel a need to take advanced tech/magic back to your people etc