Playtesters wanted for Fantasy Freeform System

Old Nov 9 '12, 8:06pm
Young Adult Dragon

Playtesters wanted for Fantasy Freeform System

Playtesters Sought for Fantasy Setting - Forum
Freeform
Ad Closes: Nov 16 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 6

You have been summoned by Lord Milton while enjoying yourself at Lord's Arena. A complex that features gladiator fights, gambling, booze and brothels. It even segregates by class.

Lord Milton has a proposition for you and a few others. You are playing level 6 characters.

As this is a play test, I am keeping the setting light. Play testers will get first access to the full campaign when it starts.
------

Hello everyone. I kid you not, you do not have to read the rules to play. It is a freeform game and far more about the story than it is about the crunch.

If you don't want to read the rules, just tell me a simple character concept and I can assign a class and stat that fits the character.

Application:

Name:
Race:
Concept:
Class:
Stat:

Detailed concept Information: What does your character do, how do they fight, how do they interact with the world in non-combat ways.

Detailed History and Background: Who is your character and what have they done.

As this is a play test I am only looking for about a paragraph in Concept and History/background.

Game Description:

I am looking for playtesters for a freeform fantasy system. It is designed to give a slight rule base to a freeform game.

The system is so simple, that you do not even have to read the rules. Just tell me what you want to play and the character is created.

This test game will involve a group of characters who are called before a powerful lord in a large city and tasked with a mission to enter a crypt.

For those who are curious how it works:

Players pick two words to describe their character. These two words tell us everything (crunchwise) that we need to know. The rest is up to you and the story you want to tell.

The first word is the characters class. Rogue, warrior, cleric, etc. The second word is a stat that shows unusual training/capabilities. Intelligence, Strength, Charisma.

All wizards are intelligent, but some are charismatic, some are strong, some are dexterous and some are even more intelligent than their peers.

For a Full break down on classes, stats and how they effect each other:

http://simfansys.wikispaces.com/

Name: Galvin Laurel
Race: Human
Concept: Stalwart Blacksmith
Class: Warrior
Stat: Constitution

Detailed concept Information: What does your character do, how do they fight, how do they interact with the world in non-combat ways.

Galvin is an honorable, stoic outdoorsman, he made a living crafting armor and weapons, and selling furs and leathers, or at least he did until his caravan was stolen from him. A survivor and usually a loner, Galvin prefers to deal craftily with one opponent at a time. He's no fool, and will take partners in adventuring, equipping arms and armor and maintaining them all as best he can, and aiding with his simple hunting traps. He is keen to negotiate and avoid conflict when possible, adopting an even-tempered negotiating approach to interactions with strangers and enemies who will listen.

A group of bandits ambushed him on a bridge, taking off with his carriage after throwing him off said bridge. They left him for dead, and however unlikely, his unconscious body washed upon a nearby riverbank. He is in the current town after walking with little more than the clothes on his back and the few things he had pocketed. Not concerned with revenge, Galvin would be interested in finding the bandits and retrieving his belongings, he is just as willing to start anew and start earning back what he lost through mercenary or adventuring work. (Think 7 Samurai)

@djdemiko:

I think that Durok should be Wisdom-Warrior, then. His fire-powers come from a Volcano God, after all, and the below paragraph should explain more.

Durok, when he isn't raging, is a gentle and quiet soul. He likes peace and tranquility - clean water, fresh meat, and the sounds of a clanking forge calm him. He believes that one's weapon is an extension of the wielder's soul, and that forging and caring for a weapon is an act of creation as important as giving birth; in this way, he attempts to respect the spirits of fire and earth that create life and enable him to forge. He is a gentle giant - but his temper runs very close to the surface. Disrespecting the world-spirits, breaking or damaging a weapon wantonly, and waste of any form (eg: killing just to kill) offend him, and he rages in response.

Name: Dash Gambit
Race: Wood Elf
Concept: A dashingly handsome socialite with a witty charm.
Class: Bard
Stat: Charisma

Dash is a ladies man. Through and through. His voice can melt any ladies heart from miles away. His smile can pierce even the frostiest of souls. In combat he has been known to make his enemy's feeble and confused, which Dash likes to think this is due to his bewildering beauty, or to rally his allies to great feats. Out of combat Dash is the face of any party. Dealing with social situations is what he lives for.

It was a snowy October, unseasonably cold for that time of year but Pentamire is a strange land High in the mountains. The weather seemed normal to the inhabitants of the town so Dash went along with it. He was singing in the Tavern in exchange for room and bored. Several of the lady's in the room had that glazed look in their eye when he finished singing. He wandered over to a table and sat down ordering a red wine. One of the ladies came and sat with him. She seemed of little notoriety and so Dash chatted back. The night went on, much wine was drank. Now this part of the story gets a little hazy, for you see Dash can't remember all of it... he was... shall we say.. without his wits.

A pounding on his door woke him from a groggy sleep. He stumbled over to the door and opened it. A rather large man was standing in it's threshold. He looked past Dash into the room and as he did so a look of pure rage appeared on his face. He started reaching for Dash who managed to stumble out of the way despite the lack of his faculties. This surprise action from the man zapped Dash back into some form of sobriety. He checked the room for what had caused this man to escalate to such rage. It didn't take him long to find it. A woman was sitting up in his bed, holding a blanket to herself. It occured to him that the crest on the large mans shoulder was none other than that of Lord Pentamere himself!! Oh Dash what did you do, but there was no time for thinking. He grabbed his sack from the floor and bolted for the door, he stumbled into the hallway pulling his pants on one leg at a time all the while running for his life.

Lord Pentamere bolted out into the hallway and gave chase. Dash ran halfway down the stairs and jumped over the railing lading on a nearby table. He hit the floor and skirted his way through the tables and chairs making his way to the door. He reached the door and glanced back behind him. Lord Pentemere had reached the floor and was barreling through the room like a bear. Tables and chairs went flying this way and that as if thrown by a giant. Dash's eyes nearly popped out of his head at this site. He thanked the inn keep for a lovely stay smirking at lord Pentemere then ran for his life down the street. He ran, harder than he had in a long time. He cut down ally ways, through markets, shops, every which way he could never once stopping to look back until he was safely through the town gates.

It was only then did he look back. He was in the clear. "Note to self Dash ol boy," He said with a smirk, "never come back to Pentemere."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsa Nehallena View Post
Andural - I assume fighters dont get spells
I think they do as long as it's a "fighter that uses int/wis/cha/whatever to get him some arcane/divine/awesome spells."

But, it's freeform, right?

weird. maybe ill change to a cleric focusing on strength, that could be interesting, goes and bashes people in to honor his god. Nothing would have to change about him actually except his "class", he could focus on enchanting magic etc to buff himself before battle then pwn face. Yea I like that so everything is the same except his class now. is that cool whoever is running this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andural View Post
I think they do as long as it's a "fighter that uses int/wis/cha/whatever to get him some arcane/divine/awesome spells."

But, it's freeform, right?
Andural is right. Anyone that takes Int as their stat gains the ability (if they choose) to have access to prepared arcane magics. WIsdom, divine magics and cha gives spontaneous magics.

It just gives you a bit of magic though. A hand full of spells you can cast and probably only use to modify your true abilities. A fighter with int might prepare a few protection spells each day or a cha fighter might snipe with beams of ice.

It's honestly a flavor thing . THere is no difference in this system between an archer concept shooting arrows and an arcane sniper shooting magic bolts.

Whitefox - I was just throwing words out How about this, write out 4-5 "spells" you want to be able to cast. I want to be able to create a fireball, I want to be able to fly, and lets see if we can come up with a theme Your questions have given me some serious doubts to my magic system Maybe it needs clear rules.

Pando - Creator's are artificers, they don't just make weapons, they can combine magic and/or technology depending on concept. So he may be a blacksmith, but he can create wands, he can make spark gauntlets, etc. Is that what you are looking for?

From your concept I would suggest Warrior (wilderness, strong melee/ranged fighter) and just flavor that he is a black smith. If you want him to make weird magic devices, then creator is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdemiko View Post
Whitefox - I was just throwing words out How about this, write out 4-5 "spells" you want to be able to cast. I want to be able to create a fireball, I want to be able to fly, and lets see if we can come up with a theme Your questions have given me some serious doubts to my magic system Maybe it needs clear rules.
1. Flight or Assisted Jumping - Pretty straight-forward, the ability to clear large heights.
2. Air Blade - A sharp blast of air that cuts as if it were a long, invisible, blade of air. Long range blast.
3. Wind Wall - A wall made of rushing wind, acts as a barrier against physical attacks, objects and creatures.
4. Haste - Increasing Matthew's speed and allowing him to attack as if he were a blur.
5. Battle Trance - The ability to hone his senses using magic; it slows down his perception of his opponents, giving him better reaction time and the ability to see the weakness in his opponent's attacks. He becomes completely focused on the battle, ignoring distractions.

I don't think that magic needs really comprehensive rules, but something like asking what the mage wants to do with his magic; for example I want Matthew to combine wind magic with some self-enhancement spells that supplement his melee abilities with magic. Then coming up with a broad system that allows the mage to do what he wants to do.

Do all characters that choose mental stats get spells? I didn't really have any spellcasting in mind when I made Morris' stat charisma. However, if mental stats automatically give spells, I guess I'll go with some enchantment or illusions.

3whitefox3 - How about wind and time. Wind would easily give you improved jumping at level 6, air blades and wind walls, I could also see magic armor caused by using wind to deflect incoming blows. Time would let you haste and slow enemies.

Theo - Picking a mental stat gives you the option of having a few spells (2 or 3) that fit your concept. You don't have to if you don't want. Keep in mind that in this system a rogue cha with spells is as powerful as a rogue cha without spells. As this is a one shot test game, I'm not worrying about any social effects of being or not being a spell caster.