A Duel to the DEATH! (In Seattle?) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

A Duel to the DEATH! (In Seattle?)

Cool. So I guess Phoenix Jones is a self-styled crime fighter? Interesting. When we were kids, if there was a neighborhood bully, he usually got his comeuppance in one way or another, and if he went home with a black eye, his parents usually knew why and he got it even worse at home. it's good to see a citizen using a "less civilized" method of helping out.

I'm not normally a fan of vigilantism, but this is, well... badass. That said, once the cops are there, I see no reason to invoke mutual combat.

What's interesting to me about this is the notion that wearing a costume actually starts to makes sense. The cops immediately know who called 911 and who's more likely to behave themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving View Post
What's interesting to me about this is the notion that wearing a costume actually starts to makes sense. The cops immediately know who called 911 and who's more likely to behave themselves.
Sort of. The Seattle police haven't been fond of Pheonix Jones for a while, though that may have changed in recent years.

I was speaking more in the abstract than in the case of Phoenix Jones. It does sort of occur to me that PJ has a reputation as a grandstanding jerk. It also occurs to me that Spider-Man more ore less suffers from the same problem in Marvel. Which doesn't mean a thing, unless it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
I'm not normally a fan of vigilantism, but this is, well... badass. That said, once the cops are there, I see no reason to invoke mutual combat.
Normally, agreed. But your typical street basass sociopath has little or no respect for the police, and none whatsoever for the general pop. He just may need a reminder to wake him up a little. I wouldn't throw this under the blanket of 'vigilantism' yet, as it hasn't escalated into what you normally think of when you use the word - just people looking out for themselves, although that is a little stretch in the other direction.

Someone get some commercial grade spider-string zapping wrist thingies for PJ - he'd be more effective if he could enter the scene vertically!

Remember, we're not that far past duels in social order.

I watched a few other PJ videos and I don't see him doing anything useful. He separates antagonists briefly but cannot conclude the situations without violence. I haven't seen him stop a street fight and once he gets into it he's not that effective.

The mortal kombat law is awesome though. Presumably it needs police to monitor so it doesn't get out of hand. In the UK we have an informal arrangement for women only called Handbags at Dawn, because bouncers and police don't like to get involved in streetfights, especially between women.