looking for a D&D 3.5 non combat game

As written:

Nonviolence - To fulfill your vow, you must not cause harm or suffering to humanoid or monstrous humanoid foes. You may not deal real damage or ability damage to such foes through spells or weapons, though you may deal nonlethal damage. You may not target them with death effects, disintegrate, pain effects, or other spells that have the immediate
potential to cause death, suffering, or great harm.

Peace - To fulfill your vow, you must not cause harm to any living creature (constructs and undead are not included in this
prohibition). You may not deal real damage or ability damage to such creatures through spells or weapons, though you may deal nonlethal damage. You may not target them with death effects, disintegrate, or other spells that have the immediate potential to cause death or great harm. You also may not use nondamaging spells to incapacitate or weaken living foes so that your allies can kill them—if you incapacitate a foe, you must take him prisoner.

Seems pretty straightforward, but many DMs use direct interpretation to screw players who take the vows. My interpretation is that the vows allow you to partake in combat, but you must strive to not kill, nor allow your party to kill, unless the monsters are non-living.

I kind of feel like the writers of those feats were not taking into account many circumstances, like fighting evil outsiders. Imagine trying to defend yourself against a Balor on its home plane without killing it. Take a Balor prisoner? Does not sound like a good idea.

IMHO they poorly worded/reasoned the Peace feat. I would amend the latter to allow for allies' killing a foe IF there was no other peaceful solution. Or just extend the exceptions to both unliving and irredeemably evil/violent creatures.

Quote:
cause harm or suffering to humanoid or monstrous humanoid
This one to me says you can fight a demon. A demons not a monstrous humanoid is it? It's an Outsider.

The second is also open to interpretation. Is "Living" something that exists on the material plane and solely on the material plane? Angels are not alive- are they? They exist in the celestial realms.

*shrugs*

I'd be quite interested in joining a nonviolent 3.5 game. It would be interesting to see how pacifist characters with different skillsets work together.

Just out of curiosity, would you consider a dungeon or such where there are traps, puzzles and other dangers but no real battles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora View Post

Just out of curiosity, would you consider a dungeon or such where there are traps, puzzles and other dangers but no real battles?
That would definitely be a method of keeping to the mostly non-combat style of game, however, a dungeon crawl mostly ignores the other aspects of the Vows that I'm wanting to play with, which are interpersonal skills such as diplomacy.

That's cool. I was just trying to drum up interest to convince someone to run something akin to ToH without any (or near to none) combat.

Just a suggestion: I just made a bounty hunting game where the purpose is to capture rather than outright kill various outlaws, non-lethal damage is a must have, healing your partner is going to be important too, as he can't simply lay waste to the enemy and scorch the earth upon which they stand.

It also requires a decent amount of interaction with NPCs to obtain information and assistance.

Just in case this is the kind of game you were looking for, obviously in some cases kill or capture may be a fools choice.