Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

: Propah method to deploy Grease ;)

Propah method to deploy Grease ;)

If you didn't get it, propah = proper, lol.

Ok, Grease. If you're a ranged guy, is it best to put grease down in front of the enemy (like in a hallway), or ON the enemy. I *think* I understand grease, the intricate booger that it is.

If they're standing ON the grease ON MY TURN, then they must make the Reflex save or fall. So this only works if you cast it on them or if they foolishly end their turn in the grease.

If they pass through the grease on their turn, they must make a low DC balance check. Failure means they can't walk through it, and a low failure means they fall.

Question for this last bit: If they fail the balance check, does their movement end right then (thus putting them in the grease for my turn and a reflex save), or can they just turn around and leave it? So far, the enemies can just step out of the grease with no penalty.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't switch this power out. The best uses I found is to put it on the enemies weapon, so they must make a save every round, or to put it on approaching enemies so they usually fall down, though they will be up and out of the grease next round.

If the rest of your party doesn't suck, a one round delay can be pretty good. As for that "low DC Balance Check", stop, go look through the SRD or the Monster Manual at the monsters you least want to get in melee with. It won't stop ranged enemies or spellcasters, don't worry about them, look at the beatsticks, the guys who can Full Attack you to death in a single round. Found them? Now look at how many of them have any ranks in Balance at all. Most of them also have average to lousy Dex. They have better Reflex saves thanks to decent Hit Dice but little or no balance, which means about a 50/50 shot of effectively immobilizing them. Even if they pass, they move at half speed. Casting Grease on the enemy's weapon is usually a poorer choice, about the same chance of success, but no effect if it fails.

Gotcha. What about if they walk into the grease and fail their balance check, but don't fall. Can they use the rest of their move to back out? Or must they stop right there, so on my turn they must make a reflex save or fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
Gotcha. What about if they walk into the grease and fail their balance check, but don't fall...

they stop right there, so on my turn they must make a reflex save or fall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it canít move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall)
Straight from the SRD. I edited your quote a little bit, but the one from the SRD is undoctored.

Awesome, thanks so much!

Now, the question is: is it better to hit them with the grease so they must make a DC 16 reflex and fall, or put it in front of them so they must make the lower DC balance check to walk through it?

My GM makes it where the enemy can step out of the grease without a check (not walking through it). I kinda feel like they should have to make check to step out, but I'm not running this circus

"A creature can walk within or through the area at half normal speed with a DC10 Balance Check" Sounds to me like they should have to check to move at all. However, if you cast it so they are at the back edge of the area, even under your GM's ruling, they would need to step back out of the area and then go around, still slowing them down and preventing charges. And if they can't go around...

I'd prefer to try to make them make both the save and check if possible, so putting them in the back half of the area is probably the best tactic.