The Deadliest Game: an urban adventure of deadly intrigue

Old Nov 8 '12, 9:02pm
Great Wyrm

The Deadliest Game: an urban adventure of deadly intrigue

The Deadliest Game - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Nov 25 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

So I decided to start up an urban campaign in a capital city of 200,000 ish souls in my homebrew world of Akuroth. Read up on the setting info here. The threads are listed in order of importance (top down) but for the richest understanding of the world and how you can make a character that feels organic to that world necessitate at least skimming all of it.

Character apps go here, please. Character creation instructions can also be found there, but here's the short of it:

Level 6, any 3.0/3.5 sources *except* ToB, ToM, Incarnum, Psionics, or Eberron (even if it was included in a core book later). No exceptions. If you want campaign-specific stuff from other settings, run it by me and I'll see if it works. Also, no BoVD for PCs. Pretty much anything/everything else is on the table. Level includes any racial HD.

Races: I'd rather not have anything more than +2 LA. Also it has to be a race that wouldn't be completely out of place in the city of Ninuroth as described in the setting information. So probably no outsiders or funky monsters or animals.

I'd like to have a balanced party but in the end it will come down to who has the best writing and backstories. Also just because this is an urban campaign doesn't mean I need or want only sneaky/guileful characters. Yes, rogues, bards, beguilers etc. fit well but I'd rather not have every application be for one of those types. I draw HEAVILY from Cityscape (obviously) so anything in there is fine/encouraged.

In your backgrounds at the end make sure you specify how and/or why you are in the city now (if you haven't been in the city forever anyway). Also if you end up having any strange/powerful/out-there magical items it'd be nice but not necessarily required to know how you acquired them, as regular people in Ninuroth can't just go out and throw down a pile of gold to buy a +2 vampiric greatsword of smiting, or whatever.

Game Description:

Soaring towers, gleaming palaces, grand banquets, shining armor, gold flowing like water; dirty shacks, grimy canals, moldy bread, cold nights in dirty rags. Only in Ninuroth, capital city of the nation of Halvar in the world of Akuroth, can such things coexist normally. A city of both luxurious excess and crippling poverty, of haves and have-nots, Ninuroth is the oldest and largest continually inhabited city in the world -- it's also one of the most quietly conflicted.

Perched at the seaside mouth of the great river Ninur, the city is home to an aging and decrepit king and his young trophy wife, who become less concerned with the fate of the people day by day -- and who have no heir. The distant and exotic land of Teth has its own problems, and is trying to weasel its way into Halvar's good graces to share in its wealth. The Great Houses squabble and scheme amongst themselves for power in the shadow of the king's impending death. Rumors of rebellion are stirring from a loosely-governed barony in the North. Accusations of corruption and treason are shot between many. The neglected and downtrodden struggle to make their voices heard. The city's various factions jostle and deal with each other and outside powers to solidify their footing among the people, the poor of whom continue to starve and despair, forgotten and unmourned by their supposedly benevolent rulers.

It's all business as usual in the First City of Man. That is, until someone comes along to change it. Could it be you?

Pretty much. I had them set up different initially, but I remembered that I needed the Combat Expertise feat to go into Kensai and since that has a 13 Int requirement I had to shift everything around to fit. It was worth making the change, though. Leaves my monk in a more balanced place with the stats he has now.

If I get 2 high stats by roll, I usually try to make that work somehow, maybe by using racial adjustments to even out a bad stat or something. I think having both very high and low stats is worth it compared to all "ok" stats...especially for a SAD character I don't really care if everything else sucks as long as the one or two stats I rely on the most are good...

But then, I don't often play MAD characters, so. yeah. It's very, very tough with MAD chars to get all your "necessary" stats to a point you're happy with...

Yeah, makes playing something like a monk, which takes a little of something from almost every single stat, difficult when you get really dodgy rolls. Tack onto that the need to meet prereqs for any prestige class you might enter and it suddenly becomes quite a bit more difficult having your stats so scattered. But, like you've said in the past, those of us with lower stats will probably end up shifting them a bit to fall into line with all these people who keep getting these crazy lucky rolls.

But then when you get people with rolls like this (Which we got someone with these, hahah) 18, 18, 17, 14, 12, 10, then that's just incredibly broken and makes no sense at all how someone is THAT strongly rounded. Especially when some people's highest roll was 16. That's when people rage quit life, hahah.

Two high there rest low is still pretty good; admittedly it's harder for MAD characters but it's awesome for many. Two 18s and a bunch of 10s is still better than two 15s and a bunch of 8-12s.

But then, this is why I prefer point-buy.

But it's never two 18s and a bunch of 10s, the rest of the rolls are usually pretty decent and with maybe one 10. Which is why I agree that point buy is far more balanced and fair. I've seen so many people quit games, as well as done it myself, because of the rolls for stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Not much interest yet for spellcasters, I see. Interesting.

If it has to do with the permit required of arcane casters, you can either just buy it (it's not THAT expensive, all things considered) or there are numerous creative ways to get around it. Feats like Invisible Spell, Deceptive Spell, Silent Spell etc...using a disguise while you cast a spell...or just making sure there aren't any guards nearby!
I'll play the supposed mage :+), though if he really is, heh.

I would like to ask if the Feat, Monastic Training, [Eberron Feat] can be allowed. All it does is allow Multi-classing with Monk without having to stop taking levels in Monk/other class.