Notices

character creation questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solan View Post
I've also taken one starting spell from the Net Wizard's Grimoire: Wizard's Ward vs Steel Weapons.

I am also seeing if i can get myself access to Hauberk of Sublime Lightness from HoH:S ... if I can get the lab total, might I be able to gain access to a lab text for this?

As to age, I thought I would start my character a little older ... he does have Strong Faerie Blood, which means he doesn't start aging until 50. If this feels overpowered, I can certainly start with a lower gauntlet age.
I've limited spells for a good reason. Wizard's Ward may not be taken before gauntlet. After gauntlet, you can invent a spell. The Fixer (one of the best Ars players alive, btw) is quite right about the He requisite. And: If you add a He requisite, you won't be able to carry or wear anything made of metal or wood.
On the Ars Magica forum, most people use wards that give a bonus against attacks made with metal or wood, which is quite elegant. But again these are spells for after the gauntlet.

I've never come across the major fairie blood pre apprenticeship exploit (and I've known ArM5 for very long). So even if it gives you quite an advantage, use it (let your conscience be your limit). 100xp more or less won't be game-breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornaer View Post
Well, pay for wise one then.

He is 35? Did I do my Maths wrong? I calculated 29 at gauntlet.

Lycanthrope is fine with me - it fits well.
I have Wise one already

I am not 35, the newly post magi at top of his app says 35 at gauntlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornaer View Post
I've limited spells for a good reason. Wizard's Ward may not be taken before gauntlet. After gauntlet, you can invent a spell. The Fixer (one of the best Ars players alive, btw) is quite right about the He requisite. And: If you add a He requisite, you won't be able to carry or wear anything made of metal or wood.
On the Ars Magica forum, most people use wards that give a bonus against attacks made with metal or wood, which is quite elegant. But again these are spells for after the gauntlet.

I've never come across the major fairie blood pre apprenticeship exploit (and I've known ArM5 for very long). So even if it gives you quite an advantage, use it (let your conscience be your limit). 100xp more or less won't be game-breaking.
That all sounds fair. Rereading the Wizard's Ward versus Steel Weapons ReTe 25, where it simply provides soak and doesn't completely repel metal, would I still be able to wield and wear metal? Also, by my calculation, I have a lab total of 38 towards researching ReTe Ward Spells. This would mean I could invent the Ward vs Steel Weapons in two seasons of lab work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solan View Post
That all sounds fair. Rereading the Wizard's Ward versus Steel Weapons ReTe 25, where it simply provides soak and doesn't completely repel metal, would I still be able to wield and wear metal? Also, by my calculation, I have a lab total of 38 towards researching ReTe Ward Spells. This would mean I could invent the Ward vs Steel Weapons in two seasons of lab work?
To see a ward based on the alternative concept, look at ReIg25 (ward againsat heat and flames). And yes, it would allow you to wield weapons (ruins the medieval flair otherwise, what I won't allow is imbibing the material(s) warded against though).

2*(38-25)= 13*2 = 26, enough indeed for the ReTe lab total. One season to open, two seasons to put in. You'll need some more He to add a ward against wooden weapons, but Ars magica is about character growth.
If you are enchanting an item anyway, consider making it your talisman.

To all: Don't forget adding specialties. Not only do they give a bonus, but they also go a long way to peronalize the character.

The Faerie-raised Magic virtue state this;
"You may spend experience points
from Exposure, Adventure, and Practice
on spells that mimic faerie powers or
other supernatural effects your character
has observed that season.
"

But how should I use this in the post gauntlet session, can I assume that most spells can mimic a supernatural effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Steel View Post
The Faerie-raised Magic virtue state this;
"You may spend experience points
from Exposure, Adventure, and Practice
on spells that mimic faerie powers or
other supernatural effects your character
has observed that season.
"

But how should I use this in the post gauntlet session, can I assume that most spells can mimic a supernatural effect?
Another virtue I am looking forward to exploring. I guess you get your 30xp per year and can buy spells more cheaply than others (normally a lvl 30 spell costs 30 xp in extremely detailed chargen; you get it for 10xp). You can invent any spell you like as long as we can agree on it. I have most of the books, so if you say where you've seen it, I'll normally accept it; or if you describe the effect, maybe a spell like that already exists. If you want a special effect that is not hermetic, I'll try and find a fair level (using books like Realms of Power: Magic).