Issue Four: Do You Believe In Magic?

After all the chaos, personal injury, and property damaged which occurred over the last ten seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila
Energystar takes a step forward.

"Marko perhaps you may have made a bit of a mistake. You don't really think that you can get past ALL of us do you? It is VERY unlikely. So I suppose your decision is this, get the mess knocked out of you or surrender and go back to your cell, this time with the inhibitors permanently applied. Either way, the later happens, it is just how much you are going to hurt that is in debate."

As she says this she takes out her staff and begins to spin it in her hand. She also readies a Gravitic Force Field if he comes after her.
Marko, standing in a classic boxing stance, takes a look around the room and pauses, momentarily, to study the face of each hero and police officer in the room, as if seeing them for the first time. Everyone is pretty much in a ready stance and staring back at Marko, except for Cap, who is still trying to use the desk to stand up and mumbling to himself something incorherant.

Marko looks back at 'Star and places his open hands behind his head. "I may be stupid, but I ain't no dummy", he alleges.

Officers swarm around him shouting "Get down! Get down!" as he is manacled and chained and led away.

One of the officers who was knocked unconscious when Marko escaped claims he was released by the Jackal who, like Marko, is an old enemy of Spider-Man's. No one else seems to have seen the Jackal enter or exit the place, and a search of the facility fails to turn him up. A quick check of the Avengers' files indicates that the Jackal supposedly died several years back.

Once Marko is secured, the adoring media begins to descend upon the holding center. Several photograph the damage inside before the police make them all move back outside. Cap becomes capable of walking a straight line and speaking English again just before you head out. Walking outside, an array of flashes go off as press and public gather around to catch of glimpse of their heroic Marvels. Ahhh...your adoring public...

Yellow result on a Monstrous Popularity check for EnergyStar followed by a Yellow result on a Poor Reason for Marko.
Short, but well played!

Would you like to...
1) Hang out and answer some questions for the press
2) Tell them you will hold a press conference later (since Hank indicated one had been requested...even though he said it might not be a good idea with Blue Marvel AWOL) and head back to the mansion
3) Decline to answer questions, don't mention a press conference, and just head back to the mansion

Beyond that, what would your individual characters like to do for the remainder of the morning and afternoon?

Maelstrom, allergic to attention, as always, sneaks out the back, turning into Beorn in a closet somewhere before so as not to draw attention. He wanders off afoot back to HQ, leaving the others to their scrum.

Looking at his baggy coat, worn down shoes and weatherstained shirt, he briefly suffers the urge to run away, but reminds himself that the Avengers offer him the best chance of getting home that he is likely to find, and so he wanders the long trip back. Anyway, he had left the letter there and he wanted it.

Pulsar, knowing that hanging around in the open like that is likely to draw the wrath of AIM on bystanders, briefly and politely mentions that there will be a press conference later.

Have faith in your heroes! He shouts as he flies back to base.

Energystar, ever the media whore, says, "I will stay and answer a few questions, however, I can't guarantee that I can answer every one's. Cap here was hit pretty hard and I would like to make sure he is OK." She smiles widely at the crowd and grabs Cap's arm and whispers to him, "You ain't leaving me alone this time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Ji (Pulsar)
Pulsar, knowing that hanging around in the open like that is likely to draw the wrath of AIM on bystanders, briefly and politely mentions that there will be a press conference later.
”Have faith in your heroes!”, he shouts as he flies back to base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag (Maelstrom)
Maelstrom, allergic to attention, as always, sneaks out the back, turning into Beorn in a closet somewhere before so as not to draw attention. He wanders off afoot back to HQ, leaving the others to their scrum.
Beorn’s musing is interrupted by the sound of thrusters overhead as he looks up to see Pulsar flying back towards Avenger’s mansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila (EnergyStar)
Energystar, ever the media whore, says, "I will stay and answer a few questions, however, I can't guarantee that I can answer every one's. Cap here was hit pretty hard and I would like to make sure he is OK." She smiles widely at the crowd and grabs Cap's arm and whispers to him, "You ain't leaving me alone this time."
Cap immediately smiles nicely to all the paparazzi as he tells EnergyStar "You’re going to owe me for this", through gritted, smiling teeth. EnergyStar relates the details of what happened, as best she knows. Several other reporters also ask for confirmation of Pulsar’s statement that there will be a press conference later today. EnergyStar glances over at Cap, still smiling, who is moving his head from side to side in a barely perceptible motion, as if to indicate “No. Please say no.”

"We are aware that you are all very anxious to have a press conference with this new team. We are up to our ears in familiarizing ourselves with our new home and catching up on everything the Avengers were up to. As soon as things get a little less hectic I am sure we will be inviting you all to speak with us. Hank Pym will be the one calling you when we have more time to give to you. You deserve an adequate amount of time to ask your questions. We have time for a couple more questions."

A chain-smoking, trenchcoat-clad reporter from the Daily Bugle, Ben Urich, has a few interesting questions, including:
Any leads on the missing Avengers?
Where’s the rest of the team (Human Torch, Blue Marvel, etc.)?
If you’re Avengers now, what does this mean for the future of the AEF? Has that team officially folded?
Any news on what the flying object was that struck the Fantastic Four's tower last night?
One of the officers here identified Marko's accomplice as the supposed-to-be-dead Jackal. Do you suppose there's any connection between this and the tourist couple who reported being rescued last night from a mugging by the supposed-to-be-dead Captain Mar-Vell?

Back at the mansion, Beorn arrives quite a bit later than Pulsar. Returning to where he thought he left his letter, he finds it missing. Beorn's thoughts race for a minute, trying to remember what he did with it or where he put it until he is greeted by Bova. "Are you looking for your picture, dear? I put it on the refridgerator." Bova leads Beorn over to the fridge, which is now decorated with at least one drawing of each hero, including a six-legged, antennaed, Hank-Pym as Ant-Man. A varied assortment of sports team, corporate, and organization logo magnets hold the various artwork in place. On Beorn's, somehow fittingly, a NASA magnet is attached to the upper right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
A chain-smoking, trenchcoat-clad reporter from the Daily Bugle, Ben Urich, has a few interesting questions, including:
Any leads on the missing Avengers?
”First off it is a pleasure to take my first question from you Mr. Urich. Your reputation precedes you. We DO have a couple leads, they have come from conscientious citizens. We encourage anyone who has any information to contact us, we ensure you that you will remain anonymous. The leads we have are still being investigated so we don’t want to disclose what they are at this time. I promise you all we be informed if there is a breakthrough.

Quote:
Where’s the rest of the team (Human Torch, Blue Marvel, etc.)?
”Not to worry, they are just fine.”

Quote:
If you’re Avengers now, what does this mean for the future of the AEF? Has that team officially folded?
”Well that is certainly a great question. When the missing Avengers are found, I am certain they will return to their positions before. That will mean that the Buffalo Team will return. Whether that team will be the AEF is not certain. Let’s just get our guys back.”

Quote:
Any news on what the flying object was that struck the Fantastic Four's tower last night?
”Yes we were there when it happened. It turned out to be Thanos. He did little else but make demands and then disappear before we were able to blink. We are also looking into that. We are in full research mode.”

Quote:
One of the officers here identified Marko's accomplice as the supposed-to-be-dead Jackal. Do you suppose there's any connection between this and the tourist couple who reported being rescued last night from a mugging by the supposed-to-be-dead Captain Mar-Vell?
”We also just received that information, we have a lot to talk about when we get back to HQ. Now that’s all for now folks. We will give you information when we get it. Thanks for the warm welcome. I have to get Cap back now to have him checked out.”

She smiles widely and begins to fly while holding on to Cap.

Cut Scene

A couple hours later...

Dr. Stephen Strange, looking tired and haggard, sits down in front of the television, his hands trembling, as he sips a cup of hot tea. Turning on the news, he sits back, attempting to relax and distance himself from whatever is troubling his mind. Footage of an interview, recorded earlier, is being played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Urich
"Any news on what the flying object was that struck the Fantastic Four's tower last night?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyStar
”Yes we were there when it happened. It turned out to be Thanos...”
PPFFPFTPTTFF!!!

Dr. Strange spits out a mouthful of hot tea, soaking himself and his television.

"By the Magic Missiles of Mordekainen!", he shouts to himself. "Wong! Bring me my other blue tunic!"

As they head back to the mansion, Cap tells EnergyStar "You know, you could have just said the incident at F4HQ was caused by a benevolent silver-clad alien female looking for assistance from the Fantastic Four rather than mention Thanos. I'm just sayin'...just throwin' it out there..."

Cut Scene #2

Two figures, darkened by shadow, continue a private conversation...
"Hydro-Base? Are you certain?"
"Yes; sometime this week. Possibly as early as tomorrow."
The first figure brrods for a few seconds.
"Excellent work. Keep me informed of these pretender's actions, but don't get caught."

End Scene #2

Cut Scene #3

Dr. Hank Pym tinkers around in his lab, occasionally caching a glimpse of the news on an arm-mounted TV connected to one of the racks in his lab. Sipping a hot cup of coffee, Hank's attention is focused on the set when they begin to replay an earlier interview with EnergyStar and Cap. Hank smiles to himself as he hears 'Star's well articulated responses to Urich's first three questions.

Quote:
"Any news on what the flying object was that struck the Fantastic Four's tower last night?"
Quote:
PPFFPFTPTTFF!!!

Dr. Pym spits out a mouthful of hot coffee, soaking himself and his lab equipment.

"Holy Spit!", he shouts to himself. "Rover! Bring me my other red jumpsuit!"

End Cut Scene #3

Cut Scene #4

Many years in the future...

Far across the void of space, in a remote galaxy, an alien vessel travels between distant stars. Onboard, an alien Kre'ell scientist, absorbing moisture from a warm container of Ct'lu'klu, adjusts various levels and knobs attempting to tune his long-range listening device to recieve transmissions broadcast along the elctromagnetic spectrum from distant reaches of space. Eventually, the static clears, and he begins to recieve a transmission from Earth - a broadcast whose energy waves have travelled years to reach this point in space. The Kre'ell switches on his Universal Translator...

Quote:
Quote:
PPFFPFTPTTFF!!!

The Kre'ell scientist spits out a mouthful of Ct'lu'klu, soaking himself and his reciever equipment.

"C'thu'lhu Nik-Nak!", he shouts to himself. "Belefro! Bring me my other Kalu'rika'na!"

End Cut Scene #4

Dr. Pym, coffee covering the front of his jumpsuit, pokes his head out of the lab for the first time in hours. "EnergyStar?", he calls, "Can I speak to you privately in here for a moment?"

Anything else the characters would like to accomplish today?