Congratulations Europe - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Congratulations Europe

Congratulations Europe

Congratulations to the European Union or rather for all its over 500 Million people for winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Being here as a foreigner I cannot tell you how valuable the idea behind Europe is, regardless of all economic issues it faces.
Deeply moved. I hope this will be a linchpin for you to overcome the current troubles and rise again in the spirit of unity and friendship.

.... Germany is in europe....

Germany actually runs Europe via the EU so the Third Reich might get it's wish after all (albeit 60 years after trying force). They want to destroy the UK's banking sector in favour of putting all of UK banking in Germany.

This is a big deal because banking is the biggest sector in the UK after the manufacturing sector was made extinct in the mid 80s (anyone else remember the miner's strikes?). If our banking sector goes, we really will be up a certain brown stinky creek without canoe or paddle.

It costs us a load of money to be in the EU (50 or 500 million a year I'm not sure and the shower's about to be free so I want to jump on that) and we're not getting value for money from EU membership.

Sorry but I'm in favour of the UK going "auf wiedersehen" to the EU. It started out as free trade but has become a political farce controlled by Merkul (not seen her name spelt so may well have spelt it wrong) and her Teutonic cronies and until it goes back to it's roots I'm all for pulling out. I'd be happy to go back or stay if it went back to being a free trade system.

/end rant.

Apologies for the rant. EU politics makes my blood boil and Merkul is not popular with me because of what she's doing with/in the EU. I admire her for being clever but she's really abusing her gifts.

I have my own thoughts on the current economic issues and the problems that come with it. It's certainly not an easy time for Europe. Still, the fact that before the Union this continent has more or less been at constant war and now it is not is an achievement in and of itself. An achievement that deserves to be celebrated because after all there is more that connects than that differentiates. The EU is sort of a prototype to me of what the UN could be. A ruling body for mankind that connects as opposed to the national identities that create rifts between us.
I've travelled extensively and it makes me sick to see how we blame each other instead of working together. It's simply a convenient thing to do, especially with how business works these days. But it's not really a sensible way to go for us as a people.

Not many living politicians have their heart set to make the EU more than an economical project right now and that's sad. The fathers of the union thought differently.

Really? I thought Jean Monnet primarily envisioned the Eu (back in the ECSC days) as a way to avoid war, by tying the coal and steel industries together, thus ensuring that armament production on the part of Germany could not take place without alerting France. That it would lead to peace was the express reason for the creation. Economics was a bonus.
But the idea of having the EU as a ruling body would have horrified Monnet - unless that body was French.

I appreciate your sentiments, Raven Queen. Thanks for sharing them. What's the general mood in Europe itself? Celebratory, reflective, proud, or is it more cynical and argumentative?

It's unfortunate the response in this thread is so cynical. You'd think folks could allow for there to be *one* hopeful, positive thread on the forum. Perhaps the naysayers should start their own thread and let this one be.

The simple fact of the matter is that Europe is at peace. Regardless of whether you're happy with the current state of affairs, regardless if you think they deserve the award or not, it doesn't really matter.

37 million killed and wounded in WW1.
50 - 70 million military and civilians killed in WW2.

I'm happy we're not looking to do this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
Germany actually runs Europe via the EU so the Third Reich might get it's wish after all (albeit 60 years after trying force). They want to destroy the UK's banking sector in favour of putting all of UK banking in Germany.

This is a big deal because banking is the biggest sector in the UK after the manufacturing sector was made extinct in the mid 80s (anyone else remember the miner's strikes?). If our banking sector goes, we really will be up a certain brown stinky creek without canoe or paddle.

It costs us a load of money to be in the EU (50 or 500 million a year I'm not sure and the shower's about to be free so I want to jump on that) and we're not getting value for money from EU membership.

Sorry but I'm in favour of the UK going "auf wiedersehen" to the EU. It started out as free trade but has become a political farce controlled by Merkul (not seen her name spelt so may well have spelt it wrong) and her Teutonic cronies and until it goes back to it's roots I'm all for pulling out. I'd be happy to go back or stay if it went back to being a free trade system.

/end rant.

Apologies for the rant. EU politics makes my blood boil and Merkul is not popular with me because of what she's doing with/in the EU. I admire her for being clever but she's really abusing her gifts.
Merkel.

Just going to ignore the whole 'Germany has taken over Europe' bit and move on to the rest.

Funny, because my French relatives have no love for the UK's EU decisions either. My relatives find that Germany, if anything, is still trying to solve the problem rather than being obstructionists about it. (the UK not ratifying the recent treaty was just another one among many stupidities I've seen of the UK meddling) I mean, really, If the UK wants to get out of the EU, I know of no EU country that'll have a cry about it. They didn't want the Euro, why are they still in the EU anyway?

They had never any intention to make this partnership work, they just wanted a say in those dealings.

In the word of a much wiser man than myself: The EU (aka the EEC once upon a time) should have said 'Non.' Quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967: De Gaulle says 'non' to Britain - again
At a news conference at the Elysee Palace in Paris, attended by more than 1,000 diplomats, civil servants and ministers as well as journalists, General de Gaulle accused Britain of a "deep-seated hostility" towards European construction.

He said London showed a "lack of interest" in the Common Market and would require a "radical transformation" before joining the EEC.

"The present Common Market is incompatible with the economy, as it now stands, of Britain," he said.

He went on to list a number of aspects of Britain's economy, from working practices to agriculture, which he said made Britain incompatible with Europe.
Statement from the man himself on the matter.