D&D online - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

D&D online

UO is actually the game in which I created my favorite dnd character, Aidlian. It was on an RP server, he was a half-elf mage who served as a guard for the human cities, until the prince pissed him off and he went to serve the elves instead. He was small and weak, and his spells weren't very strong, but he focused on polymorphing into a daemon and "HARR'ing" people to death. The orcs of the server feared him =o It was the first time anyone ever told me that they feared me in pvp.

Ah, that game... I could literally go on for days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
I did a lot of research on MMOs when my friends wanted to form a guild. Everything fell apart when 1 friends computer crashed, another friend didn't meet system requirements, and I couldn't play the MMO I wanted to play because I don't have a Windows OS.

In the end, we compared stats, options, support, gaming community, visual appeal, and affordability.

At the top of our lists were:
  1. Atlantica Online
  2. Rift
  3. World of Warcraft

DDO was in the second set of three in our list, because the playthrough videos we got to watch seemed dry and monotonous. The graphics were okay, but not top tier, and race/class options weren't as varied as we'd hoped. The combat seemed repetitive and unoriginal. I hope I'm wrong about that... and I guess I'll never know, because the guild fell apart before we even started. At any rate. If it turns out that DDO rocks, I might be interested in joining you, because I like the system more than all the other ones... though Atlantica did seem really cool too.
I've played Guild Wars (the original w/o expansions), WoW, Atlantica, DDO, and Aion.

GW was alright for being F2P. I got my elite signet but never bothered to finish the story; got bored with not being able to advance. It was kinda fun nuking things into the dirt as a Pyromancer, though.

I quit WoW at the end of the Burning Crusade, letting my warrior retire in the skies of Nagrand. About ten months later, I rolled up a DK on the wife's account and played around in Northrend a bit; I found WotLK to be pretty and full of eye candy, but the dungeons and raids were disgustingly easy. The main turnoffs for me were the obscene amount of farming needed for raids, the lackluster "e-sport" PvP, and the fact that SO MANY players can't understand that standing in fire is bad for your health. I hear they're coming out with a fourth expansion now?

Atlantica was interesting at first, but after killing Dracula I had no desire to continue. The tons of grinding, ultra-predictable story, and occasionally clunky play controls were what turned me off. The crafting system was frustrating, in my opinion.

DDO was fun, and if it hadn't been for the lag and the frequent freezes, I'd probably still be playing it. My main was a level 16 Radiant Servant of the Sovereign Host, and he pretty much facerolled everything. I hear they have Artificers and Druids now, so I imagine there have been some changes... but I used to just mass buff the group and let my radiant aura do the healing while I meleed or chucked maximized extended blade barriers all over the battlefield. I pretty much soloed the marut in that one dungeon when I was level 11... and it was on Elite. I also killed the momma dragon with an all level 13 party... on elite. For a change of pace, I had alts: a Bbn 10ish/Rog 2, a TWF Assassin, and a lowbie Sorceror. If memory serves, I used to play on the Ghallanda server.

Aion had lots of eye candy, but terrible PvP balance. This is a Bad Thing in a game that is really all about the PvP. Self-flight was cool, but meleers were absolutely hosed in aerial combat. Also, the crafting system SUCKED.

I haven't played in awile, I use to play in orion , I logged in yesterday to make a screen shot for a character, and I found the starting area on the server empty, was depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
I haven't played in awile, I use to play in orion , I logged in yesterday to make a screen shot for a character, and I found the starting area on the server empty, was depressing.
Thus why Blizzard decided to stop making main cities outside of Stormwind and Orgrimmar in the last two expansions. Not only was it depressing in BC/WotLK for new players to enter their supposed faction capitols and see no one, but now look at all the modeling done in Dalaran, Shatt, and Silvermoon City which never gets seen. I still don't even know WHERE Exodar is.

DDO does not have the same wandering factor that WoW has, the main zones act as mission hubs, and you go in a self contained dungon as a group of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
DDO does not have the same wandering factor that WoW has, the main zones act as mission hubs, and you go in a self contained dungon as a group of 5
Yep. More, since your advancement is entirely quest-driven (you don't get XP for individual kills), you can't just find a quiet place in the wilderness to grind XP. You must return to town to get and turn in quests to advance.

I haven't played in several months, but I never had a problem finding players to group with from Levels 1-8. Once I hit Level 9, I had a hard time finding other players because of that blasted Stone of Experience they were handing out to jump PCs to Level 16 so they could play the new Underdark expansion. Since that's history at this point (they stopped handing out SoE in August), new players should be fine.