Increasing the stat rolls - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Increasing the stat rolls

sounds like alot of extra work, what is the benefit of it though?

Some DMs like the extra work, and in some cases, it makes the game more challenging, while in others it's easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdemiko View Post
Technically [3d6 and 1d20] are no different, neither one creates higher stats or lower stats.
Actually, they are very different. As you said yourself, the maxima and minima are different. Further, whilst the average roll is the same, the variance is very different - as you also said, 3d6 is far more clustered. So everything you said was right, apart from your conclusion.

My favorite rolling method comes from 2e Dark Sun. 4d4+4 (8-20 before racial mods). I have never tried this in 3e, but it would just highlight the over-all badassery of the PCs... assuming important NPCs did not also benefit from elevated stats.

Personally I am done with random Stat / HP generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowbane View Post
My favorite rolling method comes from 2e Dark Sun. 4d4+4 (8-20 before racial mods). I have never tried this in 3e, but it would just highlight the over-all badassery of the PCs... assuming important NPCs did not also benefit from elevated stats.

Personally I am done with random Stat / HP generation.
See i HATE point buys, it leaves a bad taste in mouth. Point buys are a min/max wet dream. I rather roll dice and get a large range of different stats for PCs then then all be carbon copies of each other. I rather allow 1 or 2 rerolls on dice below 10 then just buy my stats.

Yes sometimes you get a luck PC who has higher than normal stats then the rest, i say good for him!

BTW Hi Drowbane, long time no see *waves*

If I do a campaign with high stats, I just add a template or two to the creatures they encounter. A dire rat isnt a problem for a hero of equal level with 18 strength as his lowest stat, but what about a Psuedonatural Spellwarped Horrid Magebred Dire Rat? or in terms of villains, a Vampiric Lich Fey'ri.

The main reason you'd use high stats is if you've got a truly epic campaign planned, but It's just too deadly for the standard character. And unlike tomb of horrors, you actually want them to win with the same character. Personally its multiple elder evils; I want players to get creative. If you have Pandorym and Atrophus in the same campaign, see which of your players decides to try to harness the godkiller against the world eater. Or Ragnora/Atrophus; what happens when an endless generator of Life energy collides with a void of life energy?

On the topic of point buy; I like either way, but while I don't consider myself a min/maxer (That requires a competent understanding of how to play the game as a player >_<) I prefer Point-buy. Gives me a sense of control.

Melee Attackers

Allowing players to have an extra +2 (3) to hit can be remedied immediately by giving a monster +2 (3) AC, giving them the average extra damage anticipated in extra HP (eg: +2 to hit = 10%, give the mob an additional 10% HP x number in the party so a party of 4 would give the mob an additonal 40% hp), additional monsters ...

or

... make the monsters hit harder as well, extra +2 to hit, extra +3 to damage

Finger Wigglers

Give the monsters spell resistance, give them extra HP (as per fighters), add the number of monsters met ...

or

... add range attacks to the monster / sneak attack / invisibility / etc to be able to hit the finger wiggler directly

Thats all fine and good but then you might go too far and have a TPK on your hands, its a hard thing to balance IMO. I just dont see the value of all the extra work and problems but that is me

It's not just you, wrathgon.

If I want my party to be uber and face a difficult challenge, they'll start at a higher level. Problem solved, with no random template-stacking needed.