Monthly Challenge suggestion box - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Monthly Challenge suggestion box

Agreed. I tossed it out there as a test to see where the natural upper bound of challenge effort might lie. Seems like it was above the mark; perhaps it would be more suited to a group-type challenge instead of individual effort.

That, and your entry was pretty well-conceived to begin with and might have been a deterrent in the "oh, I can't beat that" sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
Agreed. I tossed it out there as a test to see where the natural upper bound of challenge effort might lie. Seems like it was above the mark; perhaps it would be more suited to a group-type challenge instead of individual effort.
Ah, I see. I wonder how well a "group challenge" would fair, however. I have a feeling that it would be difficult to collaborate on something like this without a clear 'leader.' Different GMs run different games and have varying opinions on what constitutes a good encounter, a good NPC, and even a good system. Without a clear 'person-in-charge' I fear that it would collapse into a number of stalemates. Of course, I tend to prefer individual projects over group projects, turning to a group only when I have hit upon a problem or when I am finished and I am looking for critiques and evaluations.

Quote:
That, and your entry was pretty well-conceived to begin with and might have been a deterrent in the "oh, I can't beat that" sort of way.
Oh, sorry. I spent several weeks working on it, but I certainly did not mean to deter any competition.

A Dungeon to go Dungeonering in would be a good Idea I think. It is pretty open for a lot of creativity.

Creating an entire dungeon is perhaps too ambitious for this sort of thing, I think. Not that I don't love putting dungeons together, but asking for that much I think deters entries due to time constraints. I know for myself the time investment needed for this month's challenge was a big part of why I didn't submit something.

Perhaps stick to dungeon rooms, or puzzles and riddles. Ready-to-use NPCs/themed monsters are always good as well.

I noticed the dungeon generator under site tools recently, perhaps a randomly generated dungeon could be generated and contestants required to put together a unifying story for the dungeon? The same dungeon for everyone I'd think and the dungeons can be scaled until an appropriate one is found.

That's a clever thought. It reduces the scope of a blank-sheet "build-a-dungeon" challenge to something a bit more manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
That's a clever thought. It reduces the scope of a blank-sheet "build-a-dungeon" challenge to something a bit more manageable.
I think it is too. :-) Would be interesting to see how people come of with different ideas from the same map.

I think there needs to be another challenge. There hasn't been one in three months, four if you count March. I would suggest something like create a diabolical puzzle for your characters to solve.

I would love to have another Challenge. There are a lot of great ideas already in this thread, so it's not like the font of inspiration has run dry.