New GM: Hidden dice rolls, etc. - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

New GM: Hidden dice rolls, etc.

New GM: Hidden dice rolls, etc.

I'm preparing my first game and I'd like to know how to hide dice rolls from players, and everything else a GM shield takes care of in a tabletop game.

Each game you GM does come with a GM Screen, though I've always found it awkward to use since you have to go to the Game Profile to get to it and it needs to be in a separate window/tab if you're in the middle of writing a post. Useful for links or info you use a lot and want to have handy though.

Me, I just stick things in private tags, either in the post itself or you could create a separate thread and exclude your players from viewing it (which is effectively acting like the GM screen, requiring another window/tab open, etc.). If the outcome of the roll is pending (ie you need to know the result before you can post reactions), I stick a WIP up outside the private tags so players don't post before it's done.

Pretty much stating what was already said, though I would also just advise (as you are new) if you are really worried about keeping whats behind the screen a secret don't take on any Readers to your game if the situation presents itself. Readers can see your private threads, etc.

Highly recommending the MW GUIDES linked in my signature to any new GM.

Besides helping you with mechanical things, it will also help you in many other ways. A new GM skipping them is not at all recommended, you will learn a lot.

I happen to own a full set of real dice. I just roll them. I mean- you're the DM- and if the rolls are private regardless- may as well speed things up by doing it in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post
Highly recommending the MW GUIDES linked in my signature to any new GM.

Besides helping you with mechanical things, it will also help you in many other ways. A new GM skipping them is not at all recommended, you will learn a lot.
I've read them, but I hadn't come across a "secret GM section" so I was curious what people did. Hiding them like a private message is an option, but I was wondering if there was something I was missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
I happen to own a full set of real dice. I just roll them. I mean- you're the DM- and if the rolls are private regardless- may as well speed things up by doing it in the real world.
That's a bit hard to do where I work.

You could always just create a private thread that no one is able to see. Works just fine for most purposes, though if you have mods in your game... not so much.

@quolox:

There is a section on post formatting and private tags as I recall, it also mentions to be familiar with all basic functions of the forum, private tags being one. I do believe that's there, twice. I could double check... but it's easiest just to use private tags, or better yet, not bother.

There was a big discussion about this a couple months ago. Many GM's just don't bother hiding the dice. After a few rolls the PC's can figure out what they need to roll anyway, so the mystery you were trying to create is gone.

Honestly the only time I use private rolls is for secret stuff the PC's shouldn't know (such as to check their perception and such) and sometimes I'll even roll those in the open. If your playgroup is half decent and not a bunch of meta munchkins they won't likely make it into a big deal.

Personally, I use a mix of private text and my GM-only folder. I like being able to go back and reference things if needed, but that's a personal preference. I'll second what hecklenjyde said about posting a "Work In Progress" notification to your players if you plan to use private text.

If you want something faster than using the dice/roll tags here on MW and don't feel like using physical dice, there are various dice-rollers on the interwebs that can take care of your needs. For instance, the SRD has a useful one.