The /tg/ archive - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The /tg/ archive

The /tg/ archive

I always thought people were more familiar with this stuff, but recently I've found myself linking a few quite amazing threads for people to check out, so maybe not. Maybe that's to be expected; even ignoring the most infamous of them all, the various #chan boards are a crapshot if you're going to get anything SFW, let alone actual quality and worthwhile reading. And the tabletop gaming forum, /tg/ for short, is no different. Some might claim otherwise, but most are fully aware it is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

But despite the variance in quality, maybe even because of that, you wind up with the occasional gem, a diamond in the rough of hints, tips, and gaming sessions that inspire or wow. Things like this incredibly useful thread which I invite everyone here to read, where a GM shares a really neat method of taking his player character's assorted backgrounds and motivations and merging them together into a coherent and compelling adventure arc.

Of course, there's also things like storytiem[sic] with Wasteland Warrior, who hijacks a terrible awful troll thread to give us the story of his surprisingly creative and well-played Neutral Evil Fighter of the God of Slaughter, sharing a party with a wonderfully intelligent and inspiring Lawful Good Paladin (found in the Kendar Players Suck thread).

Or masterfully creative stuff, like a rap battle between a Lich and various PC heroes. Or what was thought to be an April Fools joke, a completely insane new system that was essentially a montage of everything else ever, somehow turning out to both be completely real and surprisingly fleshed out and quite playable.

Or maybe are just so damn hilarious you find yourself crying from laughter. Like the.... "creative" use of a DC 80 Escape Artist check.

Naturally, the disclaimer, and it's an important one. For all the great stuff I've found, it is still 4chan, and there are definitely some NSFW stuff here and there. Not nearly as common as you'd think, and actually quite rare outside of places where it's actually somehow on-topic (i.e. that DC80 thread mentioned above), but I'd still take appropriate precautions, and I've made a point of avoiding linking anything directly until I've had a chance to screen it and make sure its fine.

With all that said, I present to you, sup/tg/, the /tg/ archive site. Do yourself a favor, click archive and immediately sort by highest score. Then go down that there list and see if anything tickles your fancy. Oh, and try not to lose several hours in a Wiki Walk...

No, not at all. It's storytimes from an archive that's highly tabletop gaming related. O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
... Is this an ad for another gaming forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
No, not at all. It's storytimes from an archive that's highly tabletop gaming related. O.o
Its function of automatically deleting threads after a certain amount of time/disuse also makes it useless for the purposes of gaming forums. /tg/ is solely a discussion place with highly limited "storytimes" occasionally popping up (though rarely going anywhere). Speaking of which, has anyone tried playing a game based on that fan-made Eclipse Phase and Mass Effect crossover idea posited on one of their discussions? ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elround4 View Post
Its function of automatically deleting threads after a certain amount of time/disuse also makes it useless for the purposes of gaming forums. /tg/ is solely a discussion place with highly limited "storytimes" occasionally popping up (though rarely going anywhere). Speaking of which, has anyone tried playing a game based on that fan-made Eclipse Phase and Mass Effect crossover idea posited on one of their discussions? ^^
I completely agree that most of the discussion is limited at best. But that's what makes the archive so nice: those few diamonds that pop up are easily accessible if you sort the archive by score. All right there, all completely engrossing or hilarious if you're familiar with the topic/system being discussed. And sometimes just sheer utter stupidity that's hilarious as a result. For example, /tg/ trying to connect the dots and failing spectacularly.

For anyone who has ever played D&D and wonders about non-standard parties... The All Barbarian Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
I completely agree that most of the discussion is limited at best. But that's what makes the archive so nice: those few diamonds that pop up are easily accessible if you sort the archive by score. All right there, all completely engrossing or hilarious if you're familiar with the topic/system being discussed. And sometimes just sheer utter stupidity that's hilarious as a result. For example, /tg/ trying to connect the dots and failing spectacularly.
Good point. ^^

/tg/ plays chess.