4E: The Lord of Wrath - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E: The Lord of Wrath

4E: The Lord of Wrath

Here is my conversion of the Lord of Wrath for 4E. He's an interesting figure: he is both a devil and a demon in the body of a Pit Fiend. When he is not bloodied, he's Nabarus the pit fiend devil. But when he is bloodied, his rage overcomes him and the Balor that he usually suppresses inside him gains control of his body; he becomes his alter ego Bakahul. Thus when he is unbloodied one uses the first stat block and when bloodied the second.

Between both personalities he shares only two action points. How should I note this?

Otherwise, I welcome comments and suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrath1.jpg (161.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wrath2.jpg (170.1 KB, 0 views)

Re: Action points. How would giving each "half" an action point work?

What I meant was that since he has a total of 2, I would give 1 to each.

Perhaps you should consider formatting the stat block differently. The way it's presented, it looks like he heals completely when bloodied and gets 2 more Action Points.

I think it might be less confusing if you could keep all the data in a single block.

My plan was to put notations after the hitpoints and action points as well as a text explanation to switch stat blocks when he becomes bloodied. Maybe I will do a mock-up of the page so you can see how it would look.

Powerwise, how does he look for a 32-level solo?

Unless you plan to have the character "heal and switch back" during the encounter, it may be less confusing to future DMs if you stat as two separate monsters. You can start with the two blocks, just like you have, but forget "switch blocks when (first) bloodied". I think that is more grounds for fluff and exposition then mechanics anyway.

It also allows for the initial character to have a "on first bloodied" reaction, like some sort of close burst as he starts to lose control. When the initial character "dies", that is when you can have another reaction. "Replace with Bakahul, and transfer any remaining AP." I don't know if you want to transfer any ongoing damage or effects, it may be more dramatic that way that everything is shed.

Does that make sense? The PS's will have to defeat one after the other in one way or another. Otherwise, if they PC's retreat or fail, the healing, "mental recovery" and return to initial state will all take place off-scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
Unless you plan to have the character "heal and switch back" during the encounter, it may be less confusing to future DMs if you stat as two separate monsters. You can start with the two blocks, just like you have, but forget "switch blocks when (first) bloodied". I think that is more grounds for fluff and exposition then mechanics anyway.

It also allows for the initial character to have a "on first bloodied" reaction, like some sort of close burst as he starts to lose control. When the initial character "dies", that is when you can have another reaction. "Replace with Bakahul, and transfer any remaining AP." I don't know if you want to transfer any ongoing damage or effects, it may be more dramatic that way that everything is shed.

Does that make sense? The PS's will have to defeat one after the other in one way or another. Otherwise, if they PC's retreat or fail, the healing, "mental recovery" and return to initial state will all take place off-scene.
Very similar to what I was thinking.

Things get squicky, though, with this idea. If Bakahul's HP total is the same, but he only shows up when Nabarus is bloodied, it looks like Bakahul gets a full heal.

Since Defenses, HP, and APs all stay the same across forms, perhaps a second block defined as "when bloodied, replace Nabarus' powers with the following"? You're bending standards with this guy; proper notation is gonna be a bitch.

Some other observations:

Nabarus

Tactical Teleport: If the LoW is a Solo, why would there be allies around to teleport? The DMG specifically states
Quote:
Solo monsters are specifically designed to appear as single opponents against a group of PCs of the same level.
Seems like this power is pretty useless. Perhaps reduce it to an encounter power and allow him to teleport enemies out of range?

Tempest of Wrath: Why only an Encounter? This guy is pretty much the personification of Wrath and is a challenge for 5 epic-level PCs. I'd have this recharge on 4, 5, 6. The "allies gain" bit is again at odds with the LoW as a solo monster. There should be no allies in the encounter.

Bakahul

Shouldn't he be more dangerous when bloodied? Loss of Fear Aura means opponents will hit more often - a LOT more often. The boost in the Fire Aura isn't going to offset this. In fact, it will simply encourage the PCs to move in close to drop him faster. Consider removing the Fear Aura from Nabarus and giving it to Bakahul.

Ongoing Fire 10 from his attacks seems low. I've an 11th level Warden with Resist Fire 10. Since energy resistance applies each time the target takes damage, most Epic characters won't even bat an eye at Ongoing 10. Shouldn't ongoing damage at the Epic tier be closer to 20?

Also, Bakahul loses an attack. Nabarus' Angry Frenzy gives him 2 attacks. Bakahul can only make 1 attack per round. Perhaps reduce Flaming Tail to a Minor Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Some other observations:

Nabarus

Tactical Teleport: If the LoW is a Solo, why would there be allies around to teleport? The DMG specifically states

Seems like this power is pretty useless. Perhaps reduce it to an encounter power and allow him to teleport enemies out of range?

Tempest of Wrath: Why only an Encounter? This guy is pretty much the personification of Wrath and is a challenge for 5 epic-level PCs. I'd have this recharge on 4, 5, 6. The "allies gain" bit is again at odds with the LoW as a solo monster. There should be no allies in the encounter.
I don't think it's true that solos are never to be used with allies. I think solos and minions are often used together.

I made the other power an encounter power so that a similar power would "recharge" when he switches to Bakahul.

Quote:
Bakahul

Shouldn't he be more dangerous when bloodied? Loss of Fear Aura means opponents will hit more often - a LOT more often. The boost in the Fire Aura isn't going to offset this. In fact, it will simply encourage the PCs to move in close to drop him faster. Consider removing the Fear Aura from Nabarus and giving it to Bakahul.

Ongoing Fire 10 from his attacks seems low. I've an 11th level Warden with Resist Fire 10. Since energy resistance applies each time the target takes damage, most Epic characters won't even bat an eye at Ongoing 10. Shouldn't ongoing damage at the Epic tier be closer to 20?

Also, Bakahul loses an attack. Nabarus' Angry Frenzy gives him 2 attacks. Bakahul can only make 1 attack per round. Perhaps reduce Flaming Tail to a Minor Action?
Good comments. I think I could allow Bakahul to keep the fear aura and could raise his ongoing. Note though that he can do a close burst 5 as a standard action, so I don't know that he loses an attack.