Gaming Computers - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Gaming Computers

Gaming Computers

What are the specs for your guys' computers? Do you use them primarily for gaming, work, or otherwise?

I'm working on building my own computer for gaming. I've already got a case and a hard drive (a 500GB SSD), as well as 4GB of DDR3 RAM. I'm getting an ASUS M5A78L-M LX motherboard, an AMD FX-6100 Black 3.3 GHZ Hex-Core processor, and a Radeon Sapphire HD 6670 video card. All total, it's about $450, and it should produce a pretty good gaming computer.

I just finished upgrading mine a couple days ago.

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP motherboard
Intel Core i5 3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3 GHz quad-core CPU
MSI geforce gtx 560 1gb GPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

After rebates and taxes and everything, it was a little under $600. I already had a 400GB HDD and a solid PSU. Course, I had some difficulties that made me shell out some more cash for a new case and a new dvd drive, but that's beside the point lol.

I don't know much about hardware, but if you have 64-bit OS, you should get 8GB RAM. And if you don't, you should get one. I say this, because a lot of games are running minimum specs at 2GB RAM, and it's only going to get higher. Investing in doubling your RAM will keep you from having to upgrade your memory again in just a couple years.

I've been running my current iteration of my computer for about three years now:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3.0GHz quad core)
2x Radeon 4850's
8GB RAM
ASUS M3A78-T MoBo
256GB SSD (which the MoBo can't even fully realize, due to it being a SATA 3 SSD on a SATA 2 MoBo)
Lots of other "traditional" HDD's

Honestly, I typically do a lot of gaming on it, and it hasn't given me any issues up until now. Guild Wars 2 is fine on it, Red Orchestra 2 is fine on it, Shogun 2 Total War is fine on it, but a beta I'm in which has an NDA still (which is processor intensive) will net me only about 10FPS during "busy" time.

I have no idea what I have. I use it strictly for the internet. I do console gaming because I can't keep up with the cost of comp upgrades to play each new game. I tried for 5 years early on and it seemed like every time I bought a new game my comp was outdated. And I bought new games like once every couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
I have no idea what I have. I use it strictly for the internet. I do console gaming because I can't keep up with the cost of comp upgrades to play each new game. I tried for 5 years early on and it seemed like every time I bought a new game my comp was outdated. And I bought new games like once every couple of months.
I don't know what "early on" is supposed to be, but these days, updating your computer for gaming is a once-every-five-years sort of thing.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
4 GB RAM
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Mobo
2.0 TB HDD and a 500 MB HDD, 7200 RPM
Dual ATI Radeon HD 5770s Cross-fired

It's about two and a half years old now, but I've still yet to have any problems running anything, then again I don't play much more than Starcraft 2.. It ran Batman Arkham City and Skyrim with no problems. Should probably up the RAM, but since I haven't had any problems, I haven't bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
I don't know what "early on" is supposed to be, but these days, updating your computer for gaming is a once-every-five-years sort of thing.
Late 90's til maybe 2001 or so I would guess.

What I know about my computer(because I looked it up :3):
* Acer TravelMate 5740G
* Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU
* Ram: 4GB
* System Type: 32 bit operating system

No clue if this is good or bad, but I use it for internet and World of Warcraft.

Acer Aspire X1420G
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645
Ram: 4GB
Windows 7 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce6150SE nforce 430
Realtek HD audio