Belgariad dream cast - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Belgariad dream cast

Belgariad dream cast

The Belgariad by David Eddings is by far one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. I think its past time the series gets its due on the big screen. I was wondering if anyone else had ideas as to who would play those iconic characters from the series? Below are my top picks (some are way more obvious than others. Also, keep in mind, this is a dream list. I'll be including only living people, but feel free to include anyone that comes to mind, living or dead). Also, this list assumes unlimited funds. I know that in real life, the list below would be nigh impossible, given all the money involved:

Belgarath: Sean Connery
Polgara: Angelica Huston or Jenniffer Connoly
Garion:
Ce'Nedra: Molly Quinn or Mena Suvari
Durnik: Viggo Mortensen or Mark Ruffalo
Aldur: Ian McKellan
Zedar: Christopher Lee
Mandorallen: Nathan Fillion or Chris Hemsworth
Barak: Gerard Butler or Brendan Gleeson
Silk: Steve Buscemi or Robert Downey Jr.
Beldin: Danny DeVito
Layla: Kathy Najimi
Sadi: Nathan Lane
Porenn: Sarah Michelle Gellar
Torak: This one is a tough call for me. I know he's crazy, but Tom Cruise? He put out a great performance in Magnolia. Maybe Johnny Depp.
Lelldorin: Orlando Bloom
Ctuchik:

I cannot believe they are finally making a movie for this. I reacted far too quickly to this. I could see Beldin as danny. Barak could be thor with some red beard dye

I dont really see connery for belgerath. He doesn't really do dirty well

As much as I loved the series when I first read them, they had a lot of flaws when i reread them again recently. Lots of copy-and-paste humor between characters, lots of dialogue that felt rehashed over and over again, etc. That said, I would totally support seeing them made into movies, were that ever to come about. I don't think it will, but it would be epic, I think.

Oh as far as I know, the Belgariad isn't being made into a series of movies, sad to say. Sorry for the false ray of hope. I've just been reading through the Belgariad for the millionth time. The Hobbit introduced me to fantasy. The Elenium and the Belgariad are the reasons I fell in love with it

True, the late great David Eddings rehashed quite a bit, but I love the way in which he wrote and the humor of his writing

I read his Elder Gods series, and they had the same problems with rehashing some of the content. Ultimately, the last book made me wish I'd never started the series to begin with. A complete travesty of an ending.

This would make an epic movie series or tv series in the vein of GOT.

I would "LOVE" to see The Wheel of Time made into a movie/tv series.. Or the Riftwar Saga.

I enjoyed the riftwar a lot. I only read the first two books though

Right there with you, Legate, on Sparhawk. The cynical humor just works better...and, honestly, both the Eleniumand the Tamuli books are just more polished than the Belgariad (although I do like both the Belgariad and the Mallorean, the latter especially for the called-out Lampshades Hanging on the plot formula being a repeat). Besides, the interaction between the various characters and the various Gods of the Elenium and Tamuli
are priceless...

The Wheel of Time would have to be either an epic miniseries (four episodes per each book minimum) or an HBO series with several series guaranteed (I figure two book per series, maybe). Ditto, in the end, for the Belgariad and the other quality works of Eddings; they are--like most good novels--just not suited for cutting down into movies.

As for your dream cast, JAM, you're going big, but with unlimited talent and draw, you can look everywhere (Hollywood, Britain, Canada, Australia, et cetera) and there are definitely a large number of quality British actors not really known in Hollywood who have the chops to give these characters the quality performances they deserve...and several smaller-time actors. Unfortunately, it's both late enough my brain isn't spitting out the names it usually can, and it has been long enough that I read the Belgariad and the Mallorean, that I would have to re-read them to have a good feel for all of the important characters to cast them. Also, don't forget for dreamcasting, you can reach through time, too...if you can find the perfect actor to play a part--even if they are currently dead--then you just simply find that actor's best-matched modern-day counterpart who works the same roles.

Good luck, and if my brain ever spits out suggestions later, I'll drop their names by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
More a fan of Sir Sparhawk, myself.
Too much violence for violence's sake in those books for my taste. I prefer the Belgariad/Mallorean for that reason.