Lord of Greed - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Lord of Greed

Lord of Greed

Hi there again. Something struck me as odd about the Lord of Greed. OK, a couple of things.

First, shouldn't his hitdice be 34d12+306 plus the hitdice(15d4) and bonus for him having 15 levels of Sorcerer(Con Mod * 15)? Also, wouldn't that increase his saves, skill points, and a few other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about. I'd have to check saves and the like, but I'm sure those should probably be readjusted.

I think he should have one more feat. He's got 11 listed and should have 12 I think (1,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33). That is not including the extra feats he would get from his Sorcerer levels.

He should know a lot more spells. You've only got 3 first level spells listed and he should know 6. He should know 6 of every level up to 6 and 4 seventh.

What is his Quicken spell-like ability?

What is his weapon focus? Wouldn't Improved Natural weaponry be better maybe? Would he want the extra bonus to hit or improving his damage?

NOTE: OK, I'm wondering if it maybe got a little confusing. An ancient Red can cast spells like a 15th level Sorcerer, so I was actually assuming you tacked on 15 MORE levels of Sorcerer to it. Does he have 15 more levels of Sorcerer, in which case he needs a lot of adjusting or does he just have 15 levels of Sorcerer from Red Dragon, in which case you should probably remove that from the Stat block.

If you want, I could probably tonight or tomorrow get around to restating him, or at least making suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arholly View Post
Hi there again. Something struck me as odd about the Lord of Greed. OK, a couple of things.

First, shouldn't his hitdice be 34d12+306 plus the hitdice(15d4) and bonus for him having 15 levels of Sorcerer(Con Mod * 15)? Also, wouldn't that increase his saves, skill points, and a few other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about. I'd have to check saves and the like, but I'm sure those should probably be readjusted.

I think he should have one more feat. He's got 11 listed and should have 12 I think (1,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33). That is not including the extra feats he would get from his Sorcerer levels.

He should know a lot more spells. You've only got 3 first level spells listed and he should know 6. He should know 6 of every level up to 6 and 4 seventh.

What is his Quicken spell-like ability?

What is his weapon focus? Wouldn't Improved Natural weaponry be better maybe? Would he want the extra bonus to hit or improving his damage?

NOTE: OK, I'm wondering if it maybe got a little confusing. An ancient Red can cast spells like a 15th level Sorcerer, so I was actually assuming you tacked on 15 MORE levels of Sorcerer to it. Does he have 15 more levels of Sorcerer, in which case he needs a lot of adjusting or does he just have 15 levels of Sorcerer from Red Dragon, in which case you should probably remove that from the Stat block.

If you want, I could probably tonight or tomorrow get around to restating him, or at least making suggestions.
Yes, he just has the normal red stuff, so that is a bit confusing. Again, I appreciate the feedback and will remove the confusing notation.

As a side note, do you know 4E. I am getting ready to make a big site conversion and could use your analytical mind in my corner.

Do I know 4E? I have the books, but would need to bone up on it more to help with the conversion. I could help though, sure.

Are you going to have 3.5e and 4e or just 4e?

Quote:
Do I know 4E? I have the books, but would need to bone up on it more to help with the conversion. I could help though, sure.
If you feel like boning up, we'd appreciate your help.

Quote:
Are you going to have 3.5e and 4e or just 4e?
I'll keep the 3.5 site up too.

Sure, no problem. I'll dust off the three core books and start reviewing. I'll ask more questions in the development section...

OK. I found a few more problems with this guy. I know, he's a major bad guy and likely never to be fought, but for some reason, I really love the Lord of Greed.

Problems:
  • Incomplete Spell list (should have way more spells per level)
  • Can't have the feat: Dodge (Dex isn't high enough)
  • Hitpoints don't take into account Amulet of Health +2
  • Breath Weapon DC doesn't take into account Amulet of Health.
  • Skill points are off.
  • His feats are off in general. Should have another feat and one could be Epic.
  • Quicken Spell-like ability doesn't make sense unless it's fireball or something else like that. Makes more sense to give him Flyby Attack since it seems to imply that in his history.
  • Weapon Focus is a bad selection. He's better off with another feat (Improved Multiattack is a good option)

I've actually mocked up an idea of how he might look and possible spell selections based on his history and what he's lord of. Given his Greed, I made a good portion of his spells things to protect items, which seems a bit odd for a Sorcerer, but whatever, it works. So, he's got things like Identify, Firetrap, and Arcane lock to name a few. Seemed to make sense thematically.

I stated him up in PCGEN using nothing but the SRD, so everything should be good. Feel free to comment, flame, whatever.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lord of Greed.zip (33.0 KB, 0 views)

I used DM Genie to create him, so it's possible that that led to these problems. I appreciate your analysis. Can you show your work?

What do you mean show my work? Sure I can. I did attach some files showing what I did in the previous post. What specifically are you looking for and I'll be glad to help.

Quote:
What do you mean show my work? Sure I can. I did attach some files showing what I did in the previous post. What specifically are you looking for and I'll be glad to help.
I'll check out what you attached. What I meant is tell my how you arrived at your calcs.

Well, the feats are calculated:

That gives him 12 feats.

For skills I maxed out everything that was class I think that you had.

The number of spells he should have I pulled from the SRD and just picked ones above what you had already selected and based on the history.

I did swap some feats to make him more effective in the air, since I can't imagine he'd like to fight on the ground and it's also kind of based on his history as well.

What else do you need to know?