RPG System Advice - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

RPG System Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I'd say World of Darkness, really. The system may not be perfect, but it can handle anything from the Stone Age to Modern Day.
With variable degrees of success, it sure can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyBox View Post
Also, quite importantly is what the game will actually focus on: A long weaving romance between two fated couples, each of them with an alternate version of themselves in a different reality (connected consciousness a useful plot tool here), would have different system requirements to a game primarily about investigation and problem solving.
Yeah, that was my point.
Admittedly, I was tempted to post the system requirements for, say, Super Mario and MK9, but I think it's not necessary to get the point across.

Some good systems mentioned above. If I were doing what you plan, and I have before, I would go with either Gurps (probably a lite version), BRP by Chaosium, or EABA 2.01 (by BTRC). You could also probably mash something together with a couple of the different Cortex settings.

Since the OP hasn't even logged in since later on the same day, I guess we'd have to wait a bit before he gives us more information on what tone he's going for.

Thanks for the advice so far folks. What is running through my mind is something along these lines.

Characters are initially based on Earth. Due to some disturbance in the Planes, Earth has become linked with another world, which is traditional fantasy. So I'm going with elves, magic, undead etc on the linked world. The characters are recruited into a government organisation that has been set up to investigate and control incursions onto Earth from the linked world. A lot of the game will be forays into the fantasy setting, but there will be adventures based on Earth also.

I have a lot of details to work out, but wanted to look into settings before proceeding.

One Roll Engine by Greg Stolze. Though it depends on if they should have seperate statistics for Fantasy and Real world. If not then One Roll Engine will be good. It can simulate expertise well.

What are you most familiar with? I have GM'd a game where there was crossover between a character's reality and dream life, and I will be the first to say that it can get complicated very quickly. For that reason, I'd stick with the system I'm most familiar with and alter it to fit my needs. I would simply use two sheets for each character with the modern world one a reiteration of the fantasy one with the fantasy bits sloughed off. For example, a 3.5 wizard becomes a likely 3.5 geek, no spell list and a new set of mundane feats. Unless of course, characters are statted differently in each case, in which I would use two sheets each character, regardless.

However, if you're confident in trying something new or want a single sheet per character, I like Shorikid's suggestion but I would expand it to any simple, skill based system (Window comes to mind) because you can simply double the number of specialty skills allowed (x number per realm) and when the characters are in a realm where that skill (i.e fire magic in the modern world) doesn't apply, the mechanics are simple: Don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Spectre View Post
Thanks for the advice so far folks. What is running through my mind is something along these lines.

Characters are initially based on Earth. Due to some disturbance in the Planes, Earth has become linked with another world, which is traditional fantasy. So I'm going with elves, magic, undead etc on the linked world. The characters are recruited into a government organisation that has been set up to investigate and control incursions onto Earth from the linked world. A lot of the game will be forays into the fantasy setting, but there will be adventures based on Earth also.

I have a lot of details to work out, but wanted to look into settings before proceeding.
Right, that's still easy to do with many different systems.
Are you looking for a grim and gritty game where characters can be killed by one lucky blow? Is maiming them an option? Do you want luck or skill to matter more? How tactical do you want it to be? Are relationships between characters important? Do you want a social system? Is madness a real threat? Is a wizard something to run from and shoot in the back, or someone who's balanced with other character choices?
And lastly, how big is your group?