The Official Yammering Thread - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

The Official Yammering Thread

glad to have you amirgrin!

also, thanks to agricolus for the compliment. I honestly didn't think that was my best work, but w/e, I am glad you appreciated it

Ina, welcome back. It's good to see you rejoin the fray.

Welcome to you as well Amirgrin.

@D

I'm thinking of possibly doing a johnstoning exercise here, for my own selfish world creating purposes though, but an exercise none the less. I haven't actually done one so I was wondering about any thoughts for throwing one together in this particular forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post
@D

I'm thinking of possibly doing a johnstoning exercise
I'm not familiar with the term, WOLT...?

Well, with a defined group one can take turns and make sure everyone has input, but with an open group (such as this public forum) it seems like that might turn into a total clusterbang. There is also the issue of not contradicting the established setting.

The project idea is to develop a loose timeline for a country (the primary one the characters adventure in) but there are A) certain things that have to happen and are locked as untouchable, and B) A bunch of small details that need addressing (premade assertions that were never thoroughly defined). There's also a ton of dead space that needs assertions to fill it.

Keeping this organized means it will need special rules above and beyond typical Johnstoning because one person might only pop in once, another might pop in 50 times, and as such it kills the point of the "collaborative effort" So I'm just trying to think it through before starting it up. Thoughts and Ideas?

... Can I be in the Johnstoning thing?

I actually had the exact opposite problem, and I think the solution we came up with would work effectively in this instance as well.

It was just two of us designing the setting. To keep things rolling, we decided that rather than a set number of turns, we simply kept going until the person who started decided that that specific part of the setting felt 'complete'. Then we moved on to either the next question or the next subject.

Absolutely White Fire. I'd love to have input that's why I'm bringing it to a writers guild, to get creative input from actual writers

If you think it's not too disorganized that way, then I'll try it out. I've actually never run an exercise like this so it should be fun to try out.

Another option would be to limit the number of posts by non-original posters per day (say one or two by non-original posters, as in posters who have already made posts on the thread) and limit the number of posts per question (to say 10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhitefire View Post
Another option would be to limit the number of posts by non-original posters per day (say one or two by non-original posters, as in posters who have already made posts on the thread) and limit the number of posts per question (to say 10).
I like the idea in principle, but I'm thinking that should just be a rough guideline. If something put forward is deemed a really great idea if should be included, plus from the nature of it, as each idea develops it can spawn ten more. If someone has a great idea I wouldn't want to stifle the creativity based on posting min/max's.

I think what might be important to determine also is when to close a topic. I like the idea you've put forth, in that it's closed when it's pretty much squared away, but that might make some things messy. Would it be a faux pas to potentially re-open a subject at a user request to expand it? I'm thinking that could have positive and negative consequences.