The Walking Dead -Season 2 - Page 37 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Walking Dead -Season 2

But, having not read the comic, lemme take a wild stab in the dark about katana girl's depth...

Started off normal in life, faced tragedy at the hands of the undead, trained herself to be a badass with katana sword, the two zombies are former loved ones...now she wanders around like the dude from kung-fu the tv show and generally engages in badassery?

How'm I doin so far? Is that the depth we're talking about?

Precisely, it's not her education or anything it's just the goofy visuals/props. I mean if she ties a bag of zombie parts to her waist and drags it behind her for scent and uses a hatchet or machete that most rural people have laying around the house it's a totally different situation than "person who took swordfighting lessons before the apocalypse who has a neighbor with a real katana and not a $30 at the mall version and she leashes zombies like dogs and trains them to walk with her instead of them constantly trying to eat her and being generally useless."

The level of depth to her character in the comics is obviously debatable from person to person but there is certainly no denying that the comics show more depth to her early on, as opposed to the thirty seconds you saw in the show.

What I want to know is why the hell did they waste so many bullets when the farm got attacked? If you're going to drive around in your cars and shoot at zombies, why would you not just save the bullets and run them over? Whether you kill them or not is irrelevant, you've knocked them down and quite possibly removed some limbs. They can be finished off melee style afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
The level of depth to her character in the comics is obviously debatable from person to person but there is certainly no denying that the comics show more depth to her early on, as opposed to the thirty seconds you saw in the show.

What I want to know is why the hell did they waste so many bullets when the farm got attacked? If you're going to drive around in your cars and shoot at zombies, why would you not just save the bullets and run them over? Whether you kill them or not is irrelevant, you've knocked them down and quite possibly removed some limbs. They can be finished off melee style afterwards.
Because they're still stupid enough and panicky enough to be too scared to get into melee unless absolutely necessary. At least that would be my assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Crow View Post
But, having not read the comic, lemme take a wild stab in the dark about katana girl's depth...

Started off normal in life, faced tragedy at the hands of the undead, trained herself to be a badass with katana sword, the two zombies are former loved ones...now she wanders around like the dude from kung-fu the tv show and generally engages in badassery?

How'm I doin so far? Is that the depth we're talking about?
Doing pretty crap so far, actually. Was a good, honest attempt though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post

Have you ever hit something with your car? A deer or something like that.. Granted they did it with one of the vehicles (an older one, so better chance of no damage), but usually when a car smashes into something, it gets pretty tore up.. So if they'd used their cars instead of their bullets and those cars got damaged... I think they'd be in a worse spot. In addition to popping a zombie up and it smashing through the windshield..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Have you ever hit something with your car? A deer or something like that.. Granted they did it with one of the vehicles (an older one, so better chance of no damage), but usually when a car smashes into something, it gets pretty tore up.. So if they'd used their cars instead of their bullets and those cars got damaged... I think they'd be in a worse spot. In addition to popping a zombie up and it smashing through the windshield..
Yeah I was thinking that last night...what if you run over one and it gets jammed in your wheel well? That would suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Sure, but I'm not really thinking full speed here. I mean the zombies in the show don't appear to be very damn durable, based on how they crumble when they're beaten with nothing more than a boot. Again, you don't really need to outright kill them when you hit them you just need to knock them down.

I suppose at that point though Greyfeld could be right in that they're not all together comfortable with their melee skills yet although it seems to me that there are quite a few gang-beating scenes with various objects. But I guess they may have had the superior numbers in those cases.

Of course there is bias. People have preferences when it comes to stories and characters. Some people like things they can relate to and down to earth stuff, others like things they aspire to be like, etc. Everyone has bias involved in things like this.

My bias is against sword wielding warriors when the part of the story that interest me the most is the survival of ordinary people in a world that sucks.