Telepathy vs Detect Thoughts - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Telepathy vs Detect Thoughts

That description looks exactly the same, Cthulhu, unless I'm missing something. And besides, Pathfinder is bland and homogenized. =(

So, to summarize:
Telepathy is not Detect Thoughts. Telepathy can 'hear' only thoughts that are purposefully conveyed.

Telepathy is two-directional. It allows 'speaking' as well as 'listening' even when the telepath's conversation partner does not have a similar ability.

By RAW, Pseudodragons CANNOT read thoughts beyond those purposefully conveyed as part of a telepathic conversation. There might be some cause (beyond mere whim) for a DM to choose to houserule a capability beyond conventional telepathy.

Yeah...I was under the impression the general description for monster telepathy was different. Ugh. Sorry.

But then again both descriptions are pretty clear that 'telepathy', as a monster power, is just communication...talking. The entry for the PF pseudodragon makes no mention of this mysterious mind reading capability pulled from fluff text (take that as you will if you find PF stuff anathema).

Err...'bland and homogenized'? Its nearly identical to D&D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
So, to summarize:
Telepathy is not Detect Thoughts. Telepathy can 'hear' only thoughts that are purposefully conveyed.

Telepathy is two-directional. It allows 'speaking' as well as 'listening' even when the telepath's conversation partner does not have a similar ability.

By RAW, Pseudodragons CANNOT read thoughts beyond those purposefully conveyed as part of a telepathic conversation. There might be some cause (beyond mere whim) for a DM to choose to houserule a capability beyond conventional telepathy.
I'm happy with this.

Quote:
Err...'bland and homogenized'? Its nearly identical to D&D...
Without veering off topic too much to explain myself, I believe Pathfinder is a step towards 4th edition. It's boiled down, and last time I played it, everyone felt the same regardless of their class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoka View Post
Without veering off topic too much to explain myself, I believe Pathfinder is a step towards 4th edition. It's boiled down, and last time I played it, everyone felt the same regardless of their class.
I can't say I'm not mystified by this since I can run 3rd edition modules in PF without a hitch, as well as the reverse with PF mods. The mechanical differences are negligible really.

Ahh well. To each his own.

Telepathy, by definition is not a 'mind-reading' ability such as detect thoughts. Telepathy is more or less voluntary communication concept. while the initiator of the telepathic conversation can direct his voice into the mind of the reciever, the receiver must willingly respond to the telepath for there to be any effect.

It's like placing a phone call. You can't just dial someone's number and hear that person on the other end whether they pick up or not. Even then, if they pick up, they can still put you on mute as they speak to someone else or mutter to themselves something they don't want you to hear.