Libya consulate attack - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Libya consulate attack

I really think that's sorta the most minor dimension to this story...

At the end of the day though, it is a pretty significant issue for Muslims. I'm not condoning the action, but at the same time I will not defend the right of a bunch of bigots to kick hornet's nests with impunity. While the blood is on the hands of this currently nameless militia, the film makers had to have know that something like this would happen. I can't absolve them of at least a portion of the blame.

Sav, just so you know, the film makers never intended for that to be shown to arab audiences and had existed for quite some time. No one has a clue who translated into arabic for those folks to watch it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima22689 View Post
Sav, just so you know, the film makers never intended for that to be shown to arab audiences and had existed for quite some time. No one has a clue who translated into arabic for those folks to watch it in the first place.
So it's ok cause they tried to hide it?

I don't even see why they should have had to hide it. Let it be translated into all languages. A group of people that resort to murder as their first form of protest should probably not be a group that we cater to.

People shouldn't be forced to censor themselves because they fear offending someone in another country. Are Terry Jones and some of his friends complete morons for making a movie with the explicit purpose of fanning flames? Yes. But that dosen't justify violence, especially against people that have nothing to do with the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
So it's ok cause they tried to hide it?
They weren't trying to hide it, it simply wasn't met for an arab audience. If that's their opinion, and they want to make a movie about it, that's their right to do so. Even if it offends folks, they'll have to deal with the consequences, i'm sure the film makers aren't happy knowing they're indirectly responsible for an assault on a US embassy.