Gibberish Language Tags - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Gibberish Language Tags

That looks fantastic! I tried it in a hidden thread in one of my games. Seems to work just fine. I sense a heavy German influence in the sample translation set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The Risus gibberish translator has bee set up. Format is

[rlang=language;translator_set]what your character says[/rlang]

At the moment we only have one translation set, anyone that wants another needs to provide me 2kb of nonsense text.

In other words, for now use
[rlang=language]what your character says[/rlang]

People that wanted this should now test it, let me know how it goes.
Lorem Ipsum is designed specifically for this purpose (I believe it's originally Latin). As a web designer I use it all the time to "put text here" visually so we can get a feel for the website as it will actually look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
That looks fantastic! I tried it in a hidden thread in one of my games. Seems to work just fine. I sense a heavy German influence in the sample translation set...
Indeed. One of the things I like about it is can reflect flavour of text

The random block of text used for the default translation set is, in fact, a snippet from the German wikipedia article "Wiki"

For those of you considering submitting a new translation set:

* While any text will work, best results will be obtained if the text provided has a representative usage of word parts, consonants, and vowels for the language to be represented.
* If you give us a piece in English, the output of the "translator" can be expected to be fairly similar to the input.
* Special character support is not web-universal, so stick to ASCII (recognizing this will likely require some effort to transliterate on your part).

Another thought...is there a way I don't know of to limit language readability without using character sheets? This is mainly for such systems as don't have character sheets attached, though I guess you could hack around that by having them fill out a D&D sheet in the language section only.

There's always the option of
private text within an OCC tag, but of course you must already know who can and can't understand that language.

[ooc=private text][private=CarpeGuitarrem]Like this![/private][/ooc]

Awesome! Thanks guys!

EDIT: What about taking a similar snippet from each major language group? (This is already better than I could have asked for!)

EDIT2: I tested the readability issue, and it seemed to work for me... (My character spoke halfling -> could see & read the halfling language text. He did not speak gnome - > a gnome language mouseover did not show)

Alright, I've been given a few more translation sets I'l add this weekend. As for a snippet from each major language group, thanks for volunteering, that's great. Just attach it here in this thread when you are done.