Gibberish Language Tags - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Gibberish Language Tags

I would like to see elven and draconic added to the translation languages since they are often used by spellcasters to add flavor to a post.

Here is a website I typically use for
20 languages are listed
language translations. I have never seen any type of copyright on it, but I'm also not sure how accurate the translator is with respect to languages such as elven or whether it's gibberish. http://www.tilansia.com/langconvert.php

MOD = If this post is inappropriate or violates any rules of the forum, please accept my sincere apologies and delete immediately. I'm just trying to help. Thank you.

I agree with at least Elven and Draconic. Though many of the other textbook D&D languages would be nice, as well.

Thank you guys, for all your hard work. This new language thing looks fantastic

a bit confused here:

1) only a player can use lang since the pc is tied to the players?

2) how about on gm side -- what if there are multiple npc? how would gm specify an npc lang speech, like sheetroll ("2;intimidate, check")?

3) is there a way gm can test this tag since there is no indication that gm can specify a pc or npc to speak in a language?

sice, as I understand it, the languages are about the flavor for those not understanding it, might I suggest Arabic, Chinese (if done phoneticall either Mandarin or Cantoneese) and Swahili as languages with very distinctive languages whose feel gives a broader base of choices? Of course there is also Vulcan and Klingon in terms of popular fictional languages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahltwo View Post
a bit confused here:

1) only a player can use lang since the pc is tied to the players?

2) how about on gm side -- what if there are multiple npc? how would gm specify an npc lang speech, like sheetroll ("2;intimidate, check")?
The combination with

3) is there a way gm can test this tag since there is no indication that gm can specify a pc or npc to speak in a language?
Dispel Confusion.

Specifically, though:
1) No, anyone can use language tags. However, in a game forum, only GMs and those players with a sheet in the game that has the appropriate language listed can read the 'plain text' inside the lang tags.

2) A GM's special status in his game forum allows him to read the plain text of language tags. If he wants an NPC to speak in a specific language, he uses the lang tags normally.

Combining lang tags and sheetdice should work. The syntax would be [lang=GM Speech]These are not the elves you're looking for;[sd=1;Bluff][/sd][/lang]
However, this won't work properly with [rlang] tags as there is nothing in the tags that could be translated.

Using lang tags for NPC rolls seems... strange, though. Private text or ooc-private would probably be easier - and less prone to be screwed up by incorrect nestling.

3) In his own game ? By logging out and reading things as guest. However, that won't work for private games / threads, obviously. But if the GM sees something like the following, he can assume that the lang tag is working:

German: I'm a test sentence
Ich bin ein Testsatz

(Note: As this is no game, actual lang tags won't work here. The example is made with an ooc tag. The syntax for the example would be [lang=German]Ich bin ein Testsatz; I'm a test sentence[/lang]

The new [rlang] tags work the same way, except that the 'foreign' (i.e. displayed) text is created automatically. The link to the wiki help page above provides details.

The wookiee one doesn't seem to be working yet. Is it not implemented yet or did I mess something up?

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra99 View Post
The wookiee one doesn't seem to be working yet. Is it not implemented yet or did I mess something up?
It works. You just spelled the third one differently (Thisis instead of This is), which yields a different result.

Looks ok to me, what is wrong with it?
EDIT: Unless whispers ninja is right but I assumed that didn't count as not working.