Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.


Dresden Files Accelerated Edition

   
I just finished the book and i have a mixed opinion. I like mantles and conditions. They are pretty cool for setting with the "class-y paradigm" like d&d or nwod, and will be fun create more mantles for whatever (I am working in a avatar rpg with this)

Buuuuut... I thik there are many glitchs in this game yet.

The one that worries me the most is the rule of creating stunts. In a minor milestone you can create a stunt, and in a significant milestone you can take a stunt for another mantle. But what if i create a stunt similar to one of a another mantle? Glitchy

Also i dont understand the rule for swap mantles. Why my medic pc needs forget all about medicine for become a vampire/wizard/criminal/whatever?

Why i can only have fives debts? Also the rules dont state what happen when you complete all the indebted track

I really wanna like this game, but probably i will houserule all the milestone part.

(Sorry for my bad english )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkoseba View Post
The one that worries me the most is the rule of creating stunts. In a minor milestone you can create a stunt, and in a significant milestone you can take a stunt for another mantle. But what if i create a stunt similar to one of a another mantle? Glitchy
As far as it goes, that probably falls under GM discretion. I think the intent there is that you can't grab big changes between scenes, but could bust out a natural extension of your current abilities. Being similar and being the same is a fair sized gap in Fate. Even if two stunts do the same thing mechanical, their narrative can be completely different. For example, a Magical Practitioner couldn't buy the Medic stunt of First Aid (assuming they haven't already bought part of the Mantle) between scenes. Learning field medicine takes time and effort. However, they could buy a Biomancy stunt that does the same thing as First Aid, because they already have magic and its technically something they could do by spending a Fate point. Its really not a glitch, Fate has always worked like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkoseba View Post
Also i dont understand the rule for swap mantles. Why my medic pc needs forget all about medicine for become a vampire/wizard/criminal/whatever?
Who says they do? Swapping Mantles is a situational thing and could be narrated a whole bunch of ways. For the most part, I wouldn't say they 'forget' how to do whatever it is their old Mantle was so much as decide to change the direction of your narrative and the role that you intend to play. You can also retain bits of the old Mantle that you intend to keep using by buying them with refresh.

For an example, lets say your Medic breaks the law and becomes a Criminal. AKA, you decide to switch to the Criminal Mantle. Maybe their medical licences gets revoked. However, you still want to play the role of healer to some degree. So you could still buy First Aid and Medical Care using refresh, stating that while you might not be licensed any more, but you can still practice medicine.

But, the point of switching is that you don't have to keep your old stuff either. You could decide that your character has moved away from doctoring altogether. Its not that your character can't do medicine any more, they just choose not to. Or perhaps they actually can't. Let's say you decided to switch to the Red Court Vampire Mantle and didn't want to keep your Medic stuff any longer, that could be narrated as your character's bloodlust is so powerful it makes it impossible to work on living people anymore.

Not to mention that stunts are basically things you can just do with Fate points. If you still have an aspect like 'I Use to Be a Medic', you could invoke that aspect to provide someone one with emergency first aid or what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkoseba View Post
Why i can only have fives debts? Also the rules dont state what happen when you complete all the indebted track
Because five is the default number of boxes for tracks in DFA? I assume you could spend refresh and buy additional boxes if you wished.

If the track is full, then you can't take anymore debt unless you clear some up or default on one of your promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkoseba View Post
I really wanna like this game, but probably i will houserule all the milestone part.
The milestones are pretty much the same as they have been for pretty much three generations of Fate. Minor, get to swap some basic changes or minor adjustments to your character. Significant, you gain a skill point. Major, you get a point of refresh and can make some big adjustments to your overall character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee View Post
Because five is the default number of boxes for tracks in DFA? I assume you could spend refresh and buy additional boxes if you wished.

If the track is full, then you can't take anymore debt unless you clear some up or default on one of your promises.
Yeah, that its what the book says, but i am speaking thematically. Just imagine harry saying: Sorry murphy, i have 5 debts already, so i cant help you.
Instead of providing tools for support the roleplaying, this rules are struggling it.

That's not what Indebted is. You mark Indebted when someone does a favour for you, not when you help other people; helping them back is how you pay those debts, not how you accrue them.

...?

No, it isn't the same.

You obtain debt when a powerful entity or organization does something for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg. 117
Mark one or more boxes when you have accrued a debt to a powerful group, person, or entity. The number of boxes you mark depends on the magnitude of the favor done for you; the GM has final say.
That represents you owing them back a favour for the help you were given. However, you can only carry so much debt around with you before people lose confidence in your ability to actually repay your favours, hence if you have you track full and want to obtain new debt, you have to default on some of your old debt, which carries its own narrative consequences.

What these mechanics represent is, in a sense, your credibility. If you keep accruing more and more debt without ever repaying any of it, you lose credibility and risk pissing off the people who you are indebted to; that's what defaulting on debt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg. 117
Defaulting on a debt is an extremely dangerous practice, and the consequence for doing so should always be serious, putting the lender on a path of revenge or altering the character's reputation and access to resources. In addition, oaths made with supernatural entities are mystically binding, and breaking them usually renders you powerless to resist any attempt at restitution, or allows the entity to claim what you hold most dear as their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
...?

That represents you owing them back a favour for the help you were given. However, you can only carry so much debt around with you before people lose confidence in your ability to actually repay your favours, hence if you have you track full and want to obtain new debt, you have to default on some of your old debt, which carries its own narrative consequences.

What these mechanics represent is, in a sense, your credibility. If you keep accruing more and more debt without ever repaying any of it, you lose credibility and risk pissing off the people who you are indebted to; that's what defaulting on debt is.
Thanks! thats clarify for me.




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status