Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

President Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Why bring your programming in touch with reality when you can make reality?
True, but it's not to that level yet. Unless they've said we're at war with Albania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
MSNBC is probably the most guilty party by a considerable margin. I forget where the survey was, but it showed that Fox actually had the most factual reporting at around 48-54%, with their commentary being rather extreme and rather disingenuous. Overall, Mainstream Media is unreliable on a good day, and they don't seem to have grasped the fact that they're out of touch with America.
I'm gonna have to see your source for this, especially if you're going to claim fox as the most factual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Why bring your programming in touch with reality when you can make reality?

Hehehe love that gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkadept View Post
I'm gonna have to see your source for this, especially if you're going to claim fox as the most factual
Yeah, I'd be interested to see that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Blame the 24 hour news cycle. Viewership and ratings become more important than delivering the news as a result.
I do! Specifically, capitalism. And therefore for-profit news organizations that are ultimately owned by multinational entertainment conglomerates. Part of why you hear me shilling for NPR all the time.

Like others, I want to see Flinch's proof. Mostly because - let's be honest - I don't think he has any. But here I sit, ready to be proven wrong.

I will toss in some counter evidence, though, that suggests the exact opposite to be true: these sources claim that Fox News viewers are less informed than any other news viewership, including those who literally watch no news at all. You'll notice the links are from generally reliable, mostly non-partisan sources as well. Here we go:

1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoz.../#114637206189

2. http://www.businessinsider.com/study...-at-all-2012-5

3. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-fact-checks-/

For number three, there's a video attached, but the others are read-only, for what it's worth. In the end, it seems like the debate comes down to, "Are Fox News viewers the most misinformed," versus, "Are Fox News viewers almost the most misinformed?" It isn't a great debate to be a part of as a Fox News viewer, I would imagine.

I, too, would like proof of Fox having the most factually correct, but slanted, news coverage. (Though I can certainly see how the slant would result in a grossly misinformed audiance.)

I've been trying to find this too. The thing is, nothing out there seems to be rating Fox's actual news reporting. It always conglomerates the news with the editorial shows. politifact's ratings mostly focus on the opinion people rather than the news reporting. I suppose we are getting to the point where there is no difference between news reporting and opinion journalism?

But if Finch is correct, it would be in that separation.

Ahhh, I see what you mean. So, while it is possible that Fox News reporting - and reporting only - is factually accurate, their editorializing results in the most misinformed viewership. I'm not sure I buy that, but it at least seems within the realm of possibility. Still, like the damned stickler that I am, I'd like to see some proof supporting it.

Yes, basically. When Fox tells you what happened, it might have a high degree of accuracy. When the next show comes on then you have Hannity telling you what to think about it and the accuracy... Deteriorates. Most of what is on the 24 hour news is editorial since actual news just doesn't fill up that much time. That's the model CNN struck. I already talked about how people just read headlines and assume the headline was the literal truth, when the text of the news may be vastly different and even contradict the headline. Reporters write articles while editors write headlines. There's your misinformation right there.