Dunkirk - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Dunkirk

Dunkirk

Trailer

Despite Nolan's hit or miss track record with me, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one just because I've always been a fan of WW2 movies and Dunkirk is something that really isn't in the public conciouss, at least in America. Hopefully this movie can help with that. Anyone else looking forward to at least seeing this?

Looks interesting. Very different from the usual "rar rar USA!" WW2 films we get.

I wonder how much artistic license they'll take with the events.

Saw a trailer for this before Rogue One and thought it looked decent and reasonably accurate as far as could be told from the trailer and my admittedly cursory knowledge of the actual history. Probably a dollar theater movie for me as I don't think my movie going buddy is interested and I rarely shell out the bucks for first run unless I'm going with friends, but it's something I'd probably prefer to see on the big screen.

Not too much is known, but apparently they will be sung several boats that were actually used at Dunkirk, which is nice. I'm really excited for this film for a few reasons, first being that while I don't have any American relatives who thought in the war, I do have British ones. The second is that the multiple seperate POV reminds me of war movies like Bridge too Far and Battle of Britain, which I've always liked.

I know there was some push back because the marketing team was touting the stars and those-in-the-know knew that the heavy Hollywood hitters were bit parts (at least compared to the undiscovered newbies they got to lead).

I try not to hold too much weight on the lack of well known actors and actresses because everyone starts somewhere*, but I don't care for the switcheroo marketing ploy being used. It's a war movie (+), unknown tale (to most) (+), with a well known Director (+).. it doesn't need to resort to parlor tricks.

*Ironically, Tom Hardy's rise to fame came from getting a gig when nobody knew who he was... and now he's one of the guys they're tossing on the poster... but is not a lead role.

Note: I'm also working on early release information. They may have decided to expand the roles of Hardy, Murphy, etc due to corporate demands, I don't know.

I remember the evacuation being the end of an old B&W movie (Bogart?), but yeah, I don't think it's ever been the central focus of a major movie before.

I'm pretty sure there was a movie years ago where the Evacuation played a substantial role. But, I'll be damned if I can think of the title right now.

I love me a good Oscar-bait WWII movie, so I'm all in on this. Quality director, quality cast, gonna be hard to mess this up. And Warner Brothers has a reasonable record of minimizing producer interference, so I think we'll be in luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saithor View Post
Not too much is known, but apparently they will be sung several boats that were actually used at Dunkirk, which is nice.
There are quite a few of the 'Little Ships' still around yes.