2017 Movie Watch - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

2017 Movie Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Which one? There are at least three movies of that title, one of which isn't even out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
The new Mummy movie, staring Tom Cruise, is a planned re-launch vehicle for the Universal Monsters. They have Frankenstein, The Mummy, Van Helsing and Dr. Jekyll movies currently being planned. There was talk of including Luke Evans reprising the role of Dracula, but from what I understand that has fallen thru. So, I think there will be another plan for that character.
Just "The Mummy". The original 1999 film most here are familiar with, in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Just "The Mummy". The original 1999 film most here are familiar with, in other words.
I believe you mean the 1999 re-make of the 1932 original. If you are asking whether the re-make was any good; then I say if you like action/horror/pulp type movies it was quite enjoyable, yes.

I have no idea if anyone already linked this because I'm just jumping to the end here, but I saw the thread title and this was the most relevant thing I could think of to contribute.

There are about 6 that I'd consider maybe seeing in the theater on a date, and 6 more I'll consider getting on disc or whatever from Netflix.
I remember being excited for a movie only to be so badly burned by a crapfest that I never wanted to go to the cinema again back in 2001. Took years for me to get over that to the point that I'd even consider going to the discount theater.
So I guess this is an OK selection for the year. Not like I ever bothered keeping track...

The Mummy (1999) was fun if somewhat forgettable. The less said about the sequels and spin-offs, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
The Mummy (1999) was fun if somewhat forgettable. The less said about the sequels and spin-offs, the better.
One of the Scorpion King movies was at least directed by Russel MulCahey, and was about 1/4 way decent.
But a good director cannot make up for both deficient script and weak actors. He did make the movie visually pretty.

My list of interest:

The Lego Batman Movie - Friday, February 10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Friday, May 5

Wonder Woman - Friday, June 2
The Mummy - Friday, June 9

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Friday, July 7

Ninjago - Friday, September 22

Blade Runner 2049 - Friday, October 6
Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Friday, October 6

Thor: Ragnarok - Friday, November 3
Justice League - Friday, November 17

Star Wars: Episode VIII - Friday, December 15

And I'm pretty iffy on a couple of those. To be honest, while some of the others might be OK, I know nothing about them. And as far as the ones I singled out, there's a fair chance I'll be waiting for the NetFlix dvd for most if not all of them.

Other than Ninjago, every one of those is probably a theater pic for me. Well, maybe not The Mummy. As for Ninjago, I'm a bit familiar with the concept because my friends kid never seems to stop watching that show, but I doubt I have enough interest to even get the disk. Sure I would love it if it was something that came out when I was younger and I'd actually watched the show myself but as is, not making the effort.

Yeah, that one is pretty low on my list. I find the cartoon... kinda boring. Legends of Chima was way more watchable, but I'm guessing it isn't as popular with kids.