Are you a Star Wars fan? I'm beginning to question if I am... - Page 44 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Are you a Star Wars fan? I'm beginning to question if I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
As a counterpoint, we do have some frame of reference in the movies. Decades pass between Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi, but Tatooine society hasn't changed a bit.
And since we're talking EU here for the social stasis, you visit Tatooine in KOTOR. It might not be absolutely identical to the other movies, but it's incredibly similar. You could drop Luke right into any Tatooine scene from KOTOR and he wouldn't feel out of place. And that was 4,000 years before Luke's time.

4,000 years ago on Earth, writing was a clever bit of magic that a few sages in the fertile crescent and North Africa were experimenting with. We've gone through a few changes on planet Earth since then. Technological stasis okay, I can swallow, but that amount of time and you'd think that something would change in terms of patterns of settlement, culture among the sand people, what constitutes an "Outer Rim" as opposed to a civilized world, or, hell, at least the architectural styles of Tatooine structures and town layouts.

But nope, all the same.

You know, a lot of that stems from lazy writing on the part of the KotOR folks. In the original comic series from Dark Horse, the tech was a good bit different. Hyper space beacons, sabres on battery packs, riding flying beasts into war was not too crazy. Rail guns on capital ships and much higher slower hyperdrives. That, and unless I am baddly mistaken what is now considered Mid-Rim was the Frontier then. The video games....changed all that.

Quote:
As a counterpoint, we do have some frame of reference in the movies. Decades pass between Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi, but Tatooine society hasn't changed a bit.
we donöt really see an awful lot of Tatooine to be able to say with any degree of certainty the whole planet hasn't changed a bit from Ep. 1 to 5. Who knows, maybe slavery has been abolished and it's only criminal bosses like Jabba the Hutt that still have some. There's the same criminal element, but that's because - IIRC - Hutts have very long life-spans.
We see (the same) farmers in Ep. 2 (or whenever Anakin goes berserk on the Tusken Raiders) and in A New Hope, sure...but it's not like in our world there are no farms that have been in use by the same family for some 3 or 4 generations at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
You know, a lot of that stems from lazy writing on the part of the KotOR folks. In the original comic series from Dark Horse, the tech was a good bit different. Hyper space beacons, sabres on battery packs, riding flying beasts into war was not too crazy. Rail guns on capital ships and much higher slower hyperdrives. That, and unless I am baddly mistaken what is now considered Mid-Rim was the Frontier then. The video games....changed all that.
"Lazy writing on the kotor side."

This talking about a game where Lucusarts vetoed a lesbian jedi and romance arc because the executives were homophobic and thought it broke lore or something like that.

All you need to look at to disprove the kotor people as lazy is look at the insane detail and amount of research chris did before he tore the setting to pieces in kotor 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigredo View Post
we donöt really see an awful lot of Tatooine to be able to say with any degree of certainty the whole planet hasn't changed a bit from Ep. 1 to 5. Who knows, maybe slavery has been abolished and it's only criminal bosses like Jabba the Hutt that still have some. There's the same criminal element, but that's because - IIRC - Hutts have very long life-spans.
We see (the same) farmers in Ep. 2 (or whenever Anakin goes berserk on the Tusken Raiders) and in A New Hope, sure...but it's not like in our world there are no farms that have been in use by the same family for some 3 or 4 generations at least.
Mos Eisly was seen in both Phantom Menace and New Hope. Seemed identical, plus or minus specific people.

Quote:
Mos Eisly was seen in both Phantom Menace and New Hope. Seemed identical, plus or minus specific people.
Actually, almost no Mos Eisley in TPM: that was Mos Espa. Not that they really looked that different, but Espa had a lot more strange characters that looked like they weren't even in the same universe as their surroundings.

That's another problem with sci-fi in general, so I don't think I can just judge Star Wars for that.

If people writing science fiction gave alien races or planets realistic social structures, aka their entire race/planet is not based on one gimmick and one gimmick only i.e "Gangster Planet", there would be basically no reason to have space travel in order to tell the story they wanted to tell with the exact same characters, factions and so on. You could just tell the entire story on one world.

Meanwhile, giving said races/planet realistic social structures, would involve so much infernal filler and background lore that it would basically require a full movie or book for every single hyperspace jump.

It's a matter of practically and keeping the story actually moving.

Quote:
...the hustle and bustle of a spaceport would not change an awful lot, same for the buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigredo View Post
...the hustle and bustle of a spaceport would not change an awful lot, same for the buildings.
Building design would change - they get worn down and replaced. Cairo today looks nothing like the Cairo of 200 years ago, much less 2000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Building design would change - they get worn down and replaced. Cairo today looks nothing like the Cairo of 200 years ago, much less 2000 years ago.
The Colosseum in Rome still stands, after ca. 2000 years. Venice has not changed much in centuries, despite the fact that you can find a supermarket where once there was an artisan shop. The Central station in Milan has not been touched on the outside since 1931. Some bits change, other may stay the same.

Since we are not talking about a real world where you can walk around and see the small changes in the signs of cantinas, it stands to reason that places would look pretty much exactly the same between Ep. 1 and Ep. 4.