Anime / Manga - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Anime / Manga

Steins;Gate was great. Really good show and possibly the best treatment of time travel I have seen anywhere. Not cyberpunk though. I haven't started on Robotics;Notes so I'll have to check some of the reviews and see if I want to watch that as well.

If you want something different in terms of Cyberpunk, you could try Dennou Coil which is described as Miyazaki does Ghost in the Shell. Fractale is an awesome watch, though its Post Cyberpunk (well so is GiTS), or rather Post Post Apocalypse Retro Cyberpunk. The movie Summer Wars is worth looking at. Higashi no Eden isn't quite Cyberpunk but it has a lot of related elements. Appleseed and Vexille of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
I haven't started on Robotics;Notes so I'll have to check some of the reviews and see if I want to watch that as well.
I watch the new episode every Sunday. It's okay. Again, it starts off pretty slow. I just watched episode 14 today, and I feel like it's only recently really started moving things forward. The disparate plot points haven't really tied together very well, up to this point.

Quote:
Higashi no Eden isn't quite Cyberpunk but it has a lot of related elements.
Higashi no Eden is pretty fantastic. I just wish the movies were half as good.

Quote:
Ultima - try Ergo Proxy. Though I have to admit I need to finish watching it. .
if you are anything similar like me, you will love this series and hate the ending...

On another note Witchhunter Robin and Black Lagoon are awesome.

One of the most well-rounded shows, in my opinion, is Full Metal Panic! (gotta get that exclamation point in there). It's got a little bit of everything... action, comedy, mechs, drama, romance. Though things change a little bit after the first season. Fumoffu (which is more like a spinoff) is just over the top batcrap silliness, and The Second Raid is pretty grimdark in places. They're still good, just very different from the first season (and each other).

For cyberpunk: Check out Texhnolyze and possibly Mardock Scramble. I actually haven't seen the latter yet, but I know a couple of people who were really into it. Texhnolyze on the other hand... well, suffice to say that you have to be of a certain disposition to enjoy it. The pace is a little slow, and it can be a little confusing at times, but I thought it was quite an amazing show. But it is dark as hell. Like, dark dark. You have been warned.

And of course, when giving out anime recommendations, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Slayers. Whoever you are, whatever you're into, just go watch it. Slayers Next is my favorite, and you can probably start there without any issues (the first season is pretty dated at this point), but it is an absolute classic series.

I wondered if someone was going to mention Slayers. I enjoyed the parts of it I've watched so far.

Taking from some of the shows I was watching, I made a few shots in the dark and compiled a small list of shows you might be interested in.

Another: Mystery, Horror, Psychlogical ( Viewer discretion advised ) A good show about a middle school class and their dealings with the supernatural. I found it really interesting and it kept me guessing throughout the show.

Baccano!: Action, Comedy, Horror, Supernatural ( Viewer discretion advised ) I am currently watching this and have only gotten through the first two episodes, but I hear it is amazing and has a similar style to Durarara in the way the story is told ( like the show heroes, where different stories intertwine with each other, to create a larger overall tale ).

Durarara: as suggested earlier. I quite liked the show, and I agree with what was said earlier about it.

Ergo Proxy: as suggested earlier. This one was a little hard to follow at times, but I got so attached to the characters (especially one of them) that I couldn't help but watch the entire thing to see what happened to them.

Fullmetal Alchemist/ FMA: Brotherhood: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy ( Viewer discretion advised ) Both are really good and worth watching but if you do watch both, be aware that they only change after about 12 episodes in, so everything will look the same until then. Still amazing shows worth considering.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary): Action, Mystery, Supernatural, Psychological ( Viewer discretion advised ) Middle school kid gets caught up in a game of a god and has to play for his life. I liked the show, but you should probably only watch this if you don't find Yandere unnerving really. There is a little bit of gore also, so if you're ready for that then this could be worth watching.

Samurai Champloo: Action, Drama ( Viewer discretion advised ) This show is amazing; imagine samurai, ronin, and badassery all in one high action show with at worst average fight scenes (most fights are fantastic). It is also funny at times, but this is definitely worth considering.

Stiens;Gate: as suggested earlier. I liked the show and its take on time travel. Definitely worth consideration.

Shows that may be more of a stretch than the others:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Drama, Psychological This is a magical girl anime (like Cardcaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon) but it is surprising how different from the stereotype of the series, and is definitely worth a watch if you are looking for something new. Get ready for an emotional roller coaster though; this show will evoke intense emotions if you are the kind of person to get attached to characters in a show.

Shiki: Horror, Mystery, Psychological ( Viewer discretion advised ) A different take on vampires that I think is worth watching, but the show is a little slow.

Un-Go: Drama, mystery, Psychological, Sci-fi This show is an odd one, but I found it really enjoyable and it does a good job at keeping you interested throughout the episodes, even if some of them feel disjointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleSyllable View Post
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Drama, Psychological This is a magical girl anime (like Cardcaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon) but it is surprising how different from the stereotype of the series, and is definitely worth a watch if you are looking for something new. Get ready for an emotional roller coaster though; this show will evoke intense emotions if you are the kind of person to get attached to characters in a show.
This. Madoka is not just different from Magical Girl anime, it's a total deconstruction which subverts many of the tropes of the genre. You don't really get the feel of the story until the end of episode 3, but by then it's too late to stop.

For Action I second Black Lagoon, Berserk (both the TV and the movies), and Samurai Champloo. Ga-Rei Zero and Claymore also had some good action scenes mixed with Drama. for Movies: Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust are old and good anime classics.

I also found the One Piece Manga to be good, even though I couldn't continue with the anime and in general am not a big fan of shounen shenanigans.

For Cyberpunk-like anime: Texhnolyze, it's a bit weird at times but captures the cyberpunk genre almost perfectly. Serial Experiments Lain also is considered cyberpunk by some, though the weirdness factor goes through the roof here. And Battle Angel Alita. It's old-school, but still good.

Quote:
I favor action. I'm having a tough time with Radical Edward on Cowboy Bebop. She is a just too over the top for me. It's tough to ignore her. Drama would be good too. I tried the Host club the crossdressing girl posing as a boy was too much for me. Maybe I just need to ease into the humor / comedy.
You definitively need more anime-sillieness/weirdness conditioning, if you find Edward and cross-dressing off-putting, For starters, watch Hayate the Combat Butler and Full Metal Panic (seasons 1-3). They'll make you get used to anime tropes very quickly.