Anime / Manga - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Anime / Manga

I maintain Super Sentai/Power Rangers lifted the idea of the Sentai (super team) from Kagaku Ninja-tai Gatchaman which predates it by a few years. I'm slowly working my way through that series, which I watched as its western incarnation Battle of the Planets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
What you'll suggest Super Sentai, but not Kamen Rider?!!! Also...eh, the series individually are hits and misses, I hate Decade...but some people will fight me if I say that out loud.
True, I did forget Kamen Rider. Not sure how, I am a bigger fan of that than Super Sentai. I liked Decade, was it my favorite series? No. I think that the problem people have with Decade was the alternate worlds not being exact to the other Riders. I understood that before watching Decade and enjoyed it more. If someone was going to start with Super Sentai, I'd say watch Gokaiger. With amazing plot and characters, it's hard not to like. It also gives you a feel for which sentai team to watch afterwards from what you like in it. As for Kamen Rider, Wizard would be a good start. It isn't too far in and it is strong so far. The funny thing is, you can find Super Sentai and Kamen Rider references in a lot of anime. Like Persona has the Neo featherman which is a parody off Choujin Sentai Jetman. The Great Saiyaman in Dragonball Z is a Kamen Rider reference. Heck, I don't know how much you guys are into Japanese Music, but Gackt sings songs for Kamen Rider Decade.

Any who, Neon Genesis Evangelion was a huge let down for me. I got use to the whole, fighting angels thing, then it just took a dump truck of psychology issues and shoved it down a funnel in my throat in the second half. Another Manga I could suggest is Dragon Drive. I absolutely loved that one. The first half is better than the second, but worth reading in my opinion. One anime I should really rewatch is Shaman King. Gosh, so many things that I need to watch, but I don't know how people watch so many series so fast.

You know what you might consider, this is going back to anime suggestions, Big O...any american who has cable will likely have seen in on Adult Swim, but otherwise it's a decent Giant Robot Anime, sort of gives that Bruce Tim feel personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
Melverne - Crunchyroll has some nice titles. I think you can get a two week trial free. I also get 48 hour passes every month (I subscribe a year at a time) so I usually have one or more to hand out.
@ Krimson: Are the videos dubbed or subtitled? I'm guessing the video quality is better than youtube which can be spotty at times.

Mostly subs. I don't watch dubs but if they have them it's not very much. Code Geass might have dubs as well as subs.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Samurai Champloo on the list yet. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. It's kinda like Cowboy Bebop... only with katanas. And no space travel. It's got the same general ratio of stupid and silly to seriousness.

I'm not big on action stuff, I go more for Psychological and Seinen stuff. So I don't have too much to offer you by way of recommendation. Ummmm... hm. Well, Detroit Metal City is fairly over the top at times, but then, death metal and stuff. So that might not be that great for you.

Err... Excel Saga is also kind of wacky. This is hard.

Deadman Wonderland is a bit excessive at times, but I really enjoyed it. I'm actually reading the manga, but the anime is more or less the same, it just stops short because it's only like 13 episodes. It's also missing several characters [not that you would need them really, they weren't that important, but I enjoyed them]. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it will ever finish- it looks like it's almost done, but it's on hiatus for now because the authoress had a baby.

Narutaru I read as well. It's also a deconstruction if I'm not mistaken [which I might be] of the Pet Monster genre, like Pokemon and the like. It's... depressing. Good, but... also, the end is just confusing.

I should stop. I just realzied most of the things I like are depressing. Gunslinger Girl, Madoka Magica, Higurashi and Umineko... Forget me, I only bring misery. /sob

Sword Art Online.

I've only recently gotten back in to anime, but this has just become one of my favorite shows of all time. Mind you, the first 15 episodes are definitely the best part of the first series.