Hearthstone - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Hearthstone

Arena can be stopped and started whenever you want thankfully.

Other noob tips for ez money: Once you play enough game you are able to get higher-paying quests on occasion. Once a day you can also cancel a quest to get a new one (just make sure not to cancel the intro quests!). This means if you always cancel the low-paying quests, every once in a while you'll pick up a higher paying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonyman View Post
Arena can be stopped and started whenever you want thankfully.

Other noob tips for ez money: Once you play enough game you are able to get higher-paying quests on occasion. Once a day you can also cancel a quest to get a new one (just make sure not to cancel the intro quests!). This means if you always cancel the low-paying quests, every once in a while you'll pick up a higher paying one.
It never ceases to amaze me just how good Blizzard is at developing games. That arena feature is one I didn't even expect. Fantastic.

That's basically the Blizzard business plan. Find a genre of game that is popular that they feel they can improve and make more accessible. Do that. Then make expansion packs.

Warcraft / Starcraft: Needed a fully balanced RTS game that you can play online. Blizzard perfected this.

Diablo: Computer RPGs were and are popular, Diablo turned them into a simple action game which became incredibly popular.

WoW: MMOs were already niche popular, Blizzard made them accessible to the masses and bam, multi-billion dollar industry that dominated the market so thoroughly that no one has been able to replicate their success.

Hearthstone: MtG: Duels of the Planeswalker players have been screaming for full deck building and better online options for years. Blizzard just delivered it and will now proceed to dominate online TCGs. Sorry, Hasbro you done blew it again. I guess Pathfinder wasn't enough of a lesson for you.

Meh. I love Blizzard as much as the next guy, but Starcraft is basically a Warhammer 40k skin over a slightly remodeled Warcraft game. And don't forget Heroes of the Storm, which is still losing handily to both League of Legends and DotA 2, when the original DotA was a wildly popular mod for one of their own games which they more or less ignored instead of capitalizing on.

They're definitely one of the best developers in the business, by sales or by public opinion, but they do make a lot of mistakes. Hearthstone is still quite buggy even after it's full release, despite probably being their biggest moneymaker going forward after WoW inevitably dies.

Is it in alpha? My mistake, I could have sworn it was in beta. Still, it's not losing because it's not even on the field yet. Considering the circumstances, it's still a significant fumble on Blizzard's part, even if they do somehow manage to carve up a piece of the MOBA pie later.

I will give them credit though, an optimized, bug-free Hearthstone will basically be the epitome of online card games. Honestly I think they did better for cards with HS than they did for MMOs with vanilla WoW.

*shrug* I don't think it is that buggy at the moment. No more buggy than a lot of other games have been at launch. I really like their business model, especially since it doesn't push you for paying, like a lot of other F2P games do.

I'm with Kerim. Hearthstone is simply the best free game I've ever played on a mobile device. I have never spent a cent on the game - not one - and I don't plan to. I love that I have competitive decks and can be a total cheapskate.

Well done, Blizzard. You won't make a dime off of me, but you let me play a great game regardless. This is payback for all the money I spent on Warcraft I and II all those years ago

They've done some patchwork fixes since release, but there's still a LOT of poorly-concealed issues.

One, cards being bounced back to your hand. They used to float over the board, or overlap with other cards in your hand, and you can still see them overlap for a second before the game kicks itself and the hand resorts. Sometimes both hands shift up or down an inch and sometimes obscure cards. Occasionally your cursor gets locked over your hand and you have to play a non-targeted card before you can play targeted ones. The game allows you to disconnect on multiple levels (I don't even know how), leading to games where you are technically DC'ed and the game is over, but it only looks like the timer stops counting down and cards are unplayable, and you can still talk to your opponent.

Oh, and the reason the game doesn't actually minimize even while alt-tabbed is alt-tabbing used to do strange, eldritch things to the gameboard, including card text straight out of the Necronomicon as seen below. So instead of fixing that, they just removed the ability to minimize the window!

So yes, the game is pretty damn buggy. They've just got it all stuffed under an awkward rug.

All games have bugs (speedrunners make careers finding them).. You could play the game for hours and not run into this stuff and none of this is super detrimental to the gameplay.. Really just kind of nitpicking at the game not being "perfect" (and no game is)..

Some of these are just aesthetic examples, yes, but the card overlap can prevent you from picking out the right card to play from your hand, and the hand-cursor-lock caused me to lose a ranked game that would have sent me to Rank 3. The DC one is also an auto-loss for both players, made all the more annoying by initially seeming like it could be salvaged. It should just DC you clearly and immediately, and I don't know why it doesn't.

And they're actually fairly common. I get hit by something disastrous once every 20 games or so, which I'd estimate is probably around 5 hours at best. It rarely takes more than 15 minutes to get through a game. It's not like, Battlefield levels of buggy horror, but it's not very good considering how much simpler the game is.