"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation. - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation.

"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation.

What do you think of the idea of Idris Elba playing Roland Deschain?

How would you feel if the first film (and quite possibly subsequent installments) were rated PG-13?

Sounds fine to me. Much of the Dark Tower story can be told without going into R rated territory. As for Idris Elba, he's apparently a good actor and King himself seems to approve. I have no issues with him as Roland.

I think Idris Elba is a fantastic choice - his voice is very similar to the voice I had in my head when reading the books.

That said, I need to finish the series, because I never got to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
I think Idris Elba is a fantastic choice - his voice is very similar to the voice I had in my head when reading the books.

That said, I need to finish the series, because I never got to do that.
I've been putting off "Through the Keyhole" for a couple of years now. I need to finish that one. I think I was in Grade 7 when the first book came out. I remember reading it in one night and then waiting for YEARS for Drawing of the Three, though that wait was nothing compared to the wait for the 7th book.

Dark Tower remains my favourite story. I think Stephen King did such an amazing job blending genres, and Drawing of the Three in particular is an amazing book. That said, I would really hope that they don't mess it up...

Is Idris too good, though? I always felt that The Gunslinger was a good coming-out party for Roland. A silly notion, since it's his first novel, but given the information passed along in later novels, it all kind of makes sense. He's a badass, but he's not quite the badass he is in the subsequent books. Would Idris' gravitas ruin that vibe? He's like Denzel Washington* or Tom Cruise# (both doing it in very different ways) in that you immediately get their 'best' and they don't play downtrodden or mild characters very well.

* Not to compare Idris only to another Black Actor, but Denzel was my best example of someone not able to play down his awesomeness. Even in The Equalizer, and Taking of Pelham, everyone in the room should have known he wasn't just Joe Smith Everyman. It's like if you walked your 5 year old into his or her kindergarten classroom and 'Ahnold' greeted you with a firm handshake. You know sh!ts about to go down.

# I know Tom Cruise is very divisive and you either like him or hate him, but at least you know what you're getting with all of his movies. Same with Will Smith and/or Mark Wahlberg. You're getting exactly what you expect (and, in some sense, hope for) when they are your headliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
* Not to compare Idris only to another Black Actor, but Denzel was my best example of someone not able to play down his awesomeness. Even in The Equalizer, and Taking of Pelham, everyone in the room should have known he wasn't just Joe Smith Everyman.
Did you see him in Flight? He was an absolute mess, way downtrodden and not much gravitas at all. Somewhat craven, reprehensible, human etc.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I thought it was a great performance.

I worry about the possible PG-13 rating. Several scenes (including deaths, natch) and Detta's mouth are going to seem almost farcical if watered down to teen territory.

I probably would never watch a film/tv adaptation. The first three books of the Dark Tower were excellent--especially the Drawing of the Three, which easily tops my top 20 of favorite novels of all time--but after 3, the whole series really fell flat for me. It felt as though King were trying to tie all of his work together in a long, over-complicated (yet childishly simple) plot that just.......didn't work for me.

As for Idris Elba. I guess he'd be alright. He's definitely not one of my favored actors, but I suppose I always imagined Roland as very Clint Eastwood in my mind.