"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation. - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, for all that Idris Elba is he is not Hugh Jackman and that means I'm disappointed. On the other hand though, him playing Roland makes it a lot more likely that Susannah will go over well. I'll allow myself a little optimism on this one.

There better be a scene where the camera pans downward from a high angle to cover Roland and Oy as they're running through Lud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmePghg9nCY

One beneficial side effect of adaptations like these is that they help out those with severe racial/ethnic prejudice, meager imaginations, or sheer unwillingness to give something a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaughter001 View Post
I probably would never watch a film/tv adaptation. The first three books of the Dark Tower were excellent--especially the Drawing of the Three, which easily tops my top 20 of favorite novels of all time--but after 3, the whole series really fell flat for me. It felt as though King were trying to tie all of his work together in a long, over-complicated (yet childishly simple) plot that just.......didn't work for me.

As for Idris Elba. I guess he'd be alright. He's definitely not one of my favored actors, but I suppose I always imagined Roland as very Clint Eastwood in my mind.
While I would definitely watch a series (TV or movie, although HBO series would be best IMO) of the Dark Tower, I generally agree that after Book 3 the series went...sideways.

I didn't mind King's allusions to the Dark Tower being the centerpiece of his multiverse, but after Book 4 and Black House (the last "real" DT book IMO) the world connecting seemed to take center stage, as opposed to actually telling the Ka-Tet's story.

Post 3 also starts this theme of stories within stories...so most of 4 is a flashback set in another story world altogether. 5 contains the sequel to Salems' Lot. 6 and 7 nullify some stories (Insomnia) and continue others (the Breakers).

...and the thing that really grinds my gears ...King's hijacking of the series as a cathartic exercise to get over his near death.

It's almost like after Book 4 / Black House, he just got bored of the actual characters (Roland, RF, even the Crimson King) unless he could use them some literary devices with which to itch whatever scratch he had that day.

Idris Elba would be a pretty cool choice, I've finished the first 3 books in the series and am currently reading the next one, I would really like seeing him play Roland Deschain. After seeing Deadpool break records at the box office as an R-Rated film i would live to see an R-Rated Fantasy film, since it's such an uncommon genre for films and often aren't very well received, with a few exceptions like the fellowship trilogy. What I'd would be really worried about is what kind of budget it would get as a film series because decent effects can either make or break these kind of films.

I hope it is good. In the article they talk about filling out the series (and the earlier books) with a tv show and other media. That could work.