"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation. - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

"The Dark Tower" live-action adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
"The first scene should be Roland frantically running up a spiraling stone staircase. Maybe he stops every few steps and yanks on a locked door before moving on. He finally gets to the top of the stairs and bursts through the last door. Roland is blinded by a bright light and then finds himself in the middle of a desert. At first he seems confused but then the confusion leaves his face and he starts walking. A wide shot clearly shows a horn hanging from his pack.

Now the story can start normally, but we don't have to worry about the movies being different from the books, because this is a completely different cycle. The movies would technically be sequels to the books, rather than adaptations."

"I like it... But it should be a cameo of Clint Eastwood running up the Tower... then Idris comes out the other side of the door. That would be a mind ****."
I would watch the $&@! out of that.

But Hollywood wouldn't get caught dead doing something that insightful and appropriate with a story, so I'm not getting my hopes up. The Gunslinger is such a surreal story compared to the rest of the series I don't think a lot of the movie industry has the stomach to make something that isn't focus group tested to gross 500 million dollars. I'm not saying The Dark Tower is perfect. It could certainly use fresh eyes to tighten up its bloated story, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I might be a touch cynical about this, but if it gets made the right way I'd be elated to say I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavarius View Post
I would watch the $&@! out of that.

But Hollywood wouldn't get caught dead doing something that insightful and appropriate with a story, so I'm not getting my hopes up. The Gunslinger is such a surreal story compared to the rest of the series I don't think a lot of the movie industry has the stomach to make something that isn't focus group tested to gross 500 million dollars. I'm not saying The Dark Tower is perfect. It could certainly use fresh eyes to tighten up its bloated story, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I might be a touch cynical about this, but if it gets made the right way I'd be elated to say I was wrong.
Believe me: the realization that so much good material won't make the leap from dead trees to the silver screen because of real-world politics is something that keeps me depressed when I think of live-action adaptations.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with politics as it does an unwillingness to do anything that isn't "mainstream." Artsy stuff doesn't make much money.

(I sound like an insufferably snotty d-bag when I say that.)

Quote:
I'm not sure it has anything to do with politics as it does an unwillingness to do anything that isn't "mainstream." Artsy stuff doesn't make much money.

(I sound like an insufferably snotty d-bag when I say that.)
I propose a compromise: it is a combination of politics and the unwillingness of the majority to give unorthodox films a chance.

What say you ?

Quote:
Okay. I still don't know what politics you mean, though, but I'll take your word on it.
There is a lot of material in the novels that is a combination of bizarre and rough (be it violence, sexuality, language, imagery, etc). Were said material to be represented fully, the live-action adaptations could easily push the "R" rating to its absolute limit, if not squarely achieve an NC-17 rating.

Basically, not unorthodox or outside the mainstream, but rather so offensive that there's no way a major studio is going to bank on a return on investment with a big budget live-action adaptation of King's magnum opus that doesn't mince words.

That's not to say I think this particular adaptation is a failure before launch. With an R-rating, the filmmakers can get into the meat of Roland's journey and still impress. It is just that, given Hollywood's adherence to it's own instruction manual, there are likely going to be parts omitted not because of time limitations but because they don't want to stir up the hornet's nest.

I agree with that. I just wouldn't have called it politics. Either way, yeah, it's going to be an adaptation first. If I'm being fair and honest, I wouldn't want the story page for page anyway. That would make a horrible movie.

As long as they edit out all of the "king using the story to work out his mortality issues post accident" stuff from 5-7 (and Special Edition 1) I think I can live with the adaptation.