Wonder Woman - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Wonder Woman

Eeeee!!! Action! Swords! Lasso! Color! Old-timey war! Etta Candy! I'm so stoked!

...I mean, as always, trying to rein my expectations in to accept the movie for what it is. But this is looking great so far!

I like the continued use of her leitmotif from Batman v Superman - the part that plays over the title card and logo is the same part that plays during her big reveal in that movie. The music in general feels great.

It looks interesting. There's not a lot of superhero stories set during WWI; most 'Old War' heroes trend towards WW2. It's likely to get my money, anyway.

I'm actually interested in this because, of the major DC characters... I know next to nothing about Wonder Woman.

Wait, hang on. This is WAY too colorful to be DCU... She has blue in her outfit! I saw the sun shining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
Wait, hang on. This is WAY too colorful to be DCU... She has blue in her outfit! I saw the sun shining!
And there was dialogue that actually sounded like it was spoken by humans rather than robots programmed only to angst! That alone is an Oscar-worthy moment for DC movies.

Overall, this looks pretty solid, so I'll focus on the negatives. Because I am rude.

1- We need to kill everyone responsible for creating movie trailer music. It's all some rude hybrid of dubstep and stuff that belongs alongside rainy mood. I need to find whomever came up with that idea, and break his fingers one by one until he tells me why he inflicted that on the world.

2- This appears to be a WW1 setting movie. I guess to differentiate it from Captain America (though if that, then why the shield? No. Seriously. Why does she have a shield?), but the WW1 history should never see the war drift near Themyscira's waters.

3- No establishing shot of a strong villain for Diana to fight. You need a worthwhile villain for a movie like this one. Something that's more than a superhero joining a war not her own and slaughtering otherwise innocent soldiers. Sure, Man of Steel involved a bunch of people being murdered for no good reason, but that's part of why it sucked.

4- No motive establishment for her to pick a side in a war between countries she doesn't even know exist. Because it looks like all she's got is "this dude I like is on one side, so I'll join that side!"... and that... not great...

You can get away with "killing Nazis because they're rude Nazis", because they're literally Nazis... but let's be honest, the Central powers weren't exactly the pinnacles of evil or anything... you need a deeper cause than "dude (or babe) is hot" for an iconic hero like Wonder Woman. That works for caricature heroes like James Bond, sure, but not Wonder Woman.

So, in the end, I rate this trailer as okay, and class this movie in my "it might turn out not to be complete rude" list. Which is high praise for a DC title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
I'm actually interested in this because, of the major DC characters... I know next to nothing about Wonder Woman.
I have similar feelings. I also know nothing of suicide squad either, and that too looks awesome. (And Will Smith is playing Deadshot... Yes please.)

Question. Why does Wonder Woman have to fight for the USA? (Who wasn't really involved in WWI til the end anyway.) However, she is, and I am interested in how they will have the plot play out. (Who are WW's major rogues anyway?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Llael View Post
Why does Wonder Woman have to fight for the USA? (Who wasn't really involved in WWI til the end anyway.) However, she is, and I am interested in how they will have the plot play out.
The traditional origin story is that U.S. Air Force pilot Steve Trevorlanded on Themiscyra, which has been secluded from the world for thousands of years. Queen Hippolyta's daughter Diana brought him back to his country, to serve as an ambassador from Themiscyra to the world of Man and the U.S. in particular, which is Themiscyra's first step in reaching back out to the world they've been isolated from for so long, and a big step for Diana (who is younger and more naive and curious than most Amazons, what with being born from clay on an island of immortal women) wanting to see the outside world. Most versions of the story have her being forbidden from the competition to choose an ambassador, then competing in disguise before earning her right to see the world.

...basically, think The Little Mermaid, but less singing fishes and more weapons of war.

As for the war, the trailer showed bits of soldiers fighting Amazons on the beaches of Themiscyra. I'd guess the war came to Themiscyra and they decided to fight back. I'll be curious to see if Wonder Woman is fighting for the US or if she's more of a rogue agent working for Themiscyra's best interests, which for a term align with Steve Trevor and the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Llael View Post
(Who are WW's major rogues anyway?)
Given the Greek mythology aspect of Diana's origins, many of her enemies are Greek gods and mythological creatures, with the big one being Ares. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's revealed that Ares was a driving force behind the start of WWI.

BTW, the poster is also gorgeous: