Wonder Woman - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Wonder Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
Given the Greek mythology aspect of Diana's origins, many of her enemies are Greek gods and mythological creatures, with the big one being Ares. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's revealed that Ares was a driving force behind the start of WWI.
Makes sense. Given the odd way the War was set off that wouldn't even be a bad rationalization if one wasn't well versed in Prussian, Russian, French and English history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Llael View Post
Makes sense. Given the odd way the War was set off that wouldn't even be a bad rationalization if one wasn't well versed in Prussian, Russian, French and English history.
Ares is going to be a better story for most people than a sandwich.

Trailer looks good.

I feel sorry for the Germans. Even in WW1 when both sides were as bad as each other, they still get cast as the evil canon fodder.

The last "joke" annoyed me too and made me cringe a tad.

Other than that it looks promising.

Yeah, this is going to hugely depend on stuff we aren't seeing here like the villain or her motive in fighting against the Central Powers (and why that doesn't just turn the war into a cakewalk). Visuals look good, color palate is only a little skewed instead of that weird murky mess of the Superman movies. Very cautiously optimistic.

Ares would be my bet as well for the Big Bad in this. I am cautiously hopeful for this movie. However, I am curious as to why the change from WWII to WWI? But, it really doesn't matter to much.

The Justice League Trailer looks pretty good as well. I'm thinking that the DCU is finally bringing it's A game.

I think it's like someone said before: so it doesn't look like more Captain America. As for why they have the sheild, I would imagine it's because that was standard for Greek warriors and it sort of completes her armored look what with the skirt, the greaves and arm guards. The shield was a vital part of the Greek armor system since they didn't wear a full cuirass.

I'm not sure I like the super glowy CGI lariat though. It seems out of place.

She was created in 1941 and fought in WW2 against the Axis. It's always been WW2. As for this production, I couldn't say where or if those plans changed.

Hey, a DC trailer that doesn't give the whole movie away! I'm probably going to see this in theaters, if only to send the message to studio execs that female leads are a thing I want more of.

The WWI question has come up in interviews before, and if I recall correctly (I can't find the exact quote), it basically comes down to WWI being done far less often in film and therefore being more unique. I'm guessing that's a less cynical way of saying they're trying to avoid Captain America comparisons - both characters wear bright costumes, fight with shields and other weapons, and fight in a war before disappearing from the world and human history until finally coming out in modern times to be a superhero, while also falling for a descendant of their love interest from the first war. I personally think a lot of it might also come down to thematic elements - per BvS, Diana withdrew from the world due to the horrors of war overwhelming and disillusioning her. (This article speculates a lot about that.) I feel that's a lot easier to do with WWI, which was both more primitive and had less clear 'good' and 'evil' sides by modern POV.

Ironically, while looking up sources, this article also clarified the villain for the movie.
Quote:
After costar Saïd Taghmaoui posted that photo of Pine in period clothing, it was reported that Pine will also be playing Trevor’s grandfather, also named Steve Trevor. It’s this Trevor, presumably a pilot, who will crash-land on Themyscira, and after meeting Diana, he’ll help her defeat the main antagonist Ares. Flash-forward approximately 100 years, and Trevor’s grandson (the one who will presumably appear in sequels) will assist her in taking down the Greek god of war again. So the Trevor family’s history will be established while the world deals with its first World War, though whether they’ll fight Ares on the battlefield or in a more urban setting remains to be seen.