Rogue One - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rogue One

I am looking forward to this movie far more then I did with TFA.

As someone who was heavily invested in the EU, I enjoyed the first half of TFA, I was surprised at how much I liked Rey, Finn and Poe as characters. However, Darth Snape was annoying and the First Order/Snoke was never properly explained.

The super-weapon was stupid, anything involving hyperspace jumps from inside ships/into planets should of resulted in death, I am pretty sure they use comm links in hyperspace.

I would of been perfectly happy with the movie if the superweapon never existed, and the ending was more or less what happened except simply a rescue operation.

I mostly look to see if I'll have fun watching the movie. I couldn't care less if it is a proper tribute to the rest of the series or not. Let the film students analyze it to death. Rogue One looks like a fun movie (something that seems to have been forgotten about fantasy movies lately).

The best way I can describe my problem with TFA is; you are reading a book, and you get to chapter 7 and suddenly the author re-tells in detail what happened in chapter 1. The main SW story line is an ongoing saga; as such new chapters should advance said story line, not rehash previous material. Of course this is neither here-nor-there as the original story line is now quite dead to me.

Personally, I've thought for some time now that the original story should have been left at RotJ and that an anthology idea should have been looked at sooner. The original story has been told, but there is a ton of stuff still out there to work with.

As to the Han Solo vehicle...frankly, I would prefer to see something about Wedge Antillies, or Crix Medine and his men's mutiny and escape from the Empire. I like the character of Solo and all that, but I'm not really interested in learning more about his history. There are more interesting characters out there in the SW Universe. Heck, I'd be more interested in seeing a movie detailing the actual formation of The Alliance.

One thing is for sure. Rogue One has got me very keen to run an Alliance SpecForce game.

Let's keep discussion contained to Rogue One. The last TFA thread was shut down for good reason - we get it, some of you disliked the movie, move on with your lives. No need to turn everything remotely Star Wars related into yet another diatribe/rant thread about how you dislike a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
I know it is still about a month and half until release, but I was curious as to what others predict about the film?

Personally, I think it will be the Star Wars film that TFA should have been. The action seems to be high and the characters developed and interesting. I for one am eagerly awaiting this one.

The only thing, so far, that I have that resembles a complaint is I wish they had Wayne Pygram reprising the role of Governor Tarkin.
Haven't seen a single trailer yet.

My only beef with Rogue One is in the when of it coming out. I wish Disney would stick to the current trilogy, and THEN come out with the anthology films.

Other than that, I'll see it. Cuz, Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diancecht View Post
Haven't seen a single trailer yet.
On purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
My only beef with Rogue One is in the when of it coming out. I wish Disney would stick to the current trilogy, and THEN come out with the anthology films.

Other than that, I'll see it. Cuz, Star Wars.
Well, then I would have to wait for two years before a real Star Wars movie comes out.

I hope this sets up some good material for Rogue Squadron; Whether that be Mark Hamil et ala doing voice acting for a cartoon or a recast of Wedge Antillies and we explore the Squadron post Hoth... On the other hand, if this fails in any way, it's another piece of the EU that we will be sure to lose.

As to the movie itself. They rewrote the Creation of the Death Star. Figured they would, but hey, I'd rather have the guy the Emperor killed (several) times, for that failure, then this new take on the Death Star design. (Hell I just remembered they killed that part of the story round episode 2...)

I do like the grittier feel, the Imperial Architecture returning, Vader, and in general Imperial Weaponry. (Even if the AT-ATs are supposed to be a response to the increasing rebel threat, and probably wouldn't have been ready til after the Battle of Yavin.) Hope that they don't have Incoms X-Wings yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
Yeah that's right, we should be seeing Z-95 head hunters.
Are Z-95's still cannon, or are they part of the EU now?