Rogue One - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rogue One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
On purpose?

I don't watch movies all that often due to work and real life activities. I wasn't even aware that there was one coming out this year.

0.o

I live under a rock metaphorically speaking. For instance, it was just this past weekend that I learned that there's a new Harry Potter-derived spinoff with the script written by JKR herself coming out in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
I feel like I've played some Star Wars video games where they showed walkers that looked very similar to AT-AT's but were not. Maybe something in the Rogue Squadron series?

Probably Empire at War. In that the Empire had AT-AA walker units.

Hey, I'm all for Z-95's. Built in shields with late models getting Hyperdrives. (Non-Canon).

As to the Imperials being competent, I think the problem has been that they are great in a pitched battle or hitting Static targets, but Guerillas make jokes out of most standing armies anyway. (See any war fought since WWII.) I've firmly believed that the Imperials are great at their job, accurate like any US Army regular at least and brutally effiecent at suppressing populations. Sadly Star Wars screen time is dominated by plot armored characters. Case and point, Leia gets shot at the en of Episode 6. When it doesn't really impact her ability to fight. (Gets the last stormtrooper kill of the Planetary Battle too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diancecht View Post
I don't watch movies all that often due to work and real life activities. I wasn't even aware that there was one coming out this year.

0.o

I live under a rock metaphorically speaking. For instance, it was just this past weekend that I learned that there's a new Harry Potter-derived spinoff with the script written by JKR herself coming out in a couple of months.
Whoa.

The opening of ANH shows how effective Stormtroopers are. However, the rest of the movie is naked plot armour.

They do badly for the rest of the film because their opponent was either too skilled or they were letting the targets escape. I honestly don't understand where all the "Stormtroopers are terrible at what they do" jokes come from. Except Endor. That was plot armor.

That being said, I would love seeing their true ability shown off on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmons View Post
They do badly for the rest of the film because their opponent was either too skilled or they were letting the targets escape. I honestly don't understand where all the "Stormtroopers are terrible at what they do" jokes come from. Except Endor. That was plot armor.

That being said, I would love seeing their true ability shown off on screen.
I don't know about that. Luke and co. were pretty inept on the Death Star, even before the plan to let them go was enacted. Hoth also showed how good the Stormtrooper corps was. I'm not sure what happened on Endor, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
Actually, it really doesn't. Walkers like that would be rather expensive to produce for a cargo transport. Not to mention they are rather slow. A hover/repulsor lift vehicle would be much more efficient.
I bet the Empire has warehouses full of walker parts.

Well, it's a government project. I bet that some senator's uncle owns a walker leg factory and has contracts to make legs for the next two centuries or so. Same thing with those TIE solar panels that they stick on everything

I remember reading in the WEG Imperial Sourcebook that Juggernaut crews often had to wait for weeks for spare parts if their war machine ever broke down in Theater. I guess bureaucracy is the same in fiction as it is in real life.