Are you a Star Wars fan? I'm beginning to question if I am... - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Are you a Star Wars fan? I'm beginning to question if I am...

"Making New Content" is fine. When it does so at the expense of other content (IE the good parts of the EU, Star Trek novel "Dreadnought"), not so much.
When the "New Content" is copied/pirated from "non-cannon" materials, or negates it, definitely not.

You realize that characters like Bane and Thrawn have been brought into Clone Wars and Rebels specifically so they can remain canon? The people that make those products are doing their best to preserve what fans enjoy. Keeping the EU is an impossible endeavour. It's too big and too convoluted and if you want to keep making movies there's too many legalities involved not to mention having your hands tied because you have to check hundreds of books to make sure you are in line with canon. Unlike fans, professionals who make the content are subject to deadlines and don't have tons of free time. Not to mention that Disney now owns all EU material so they can't pirate it. In a capitalist society you're allowed to use your property however you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Elliot View Post
In Star War's case, I DID see how the narrative ends. Ep 6 gave the series a satisfying conclusion as far as I am concerned, and the prequel trilogy did a good job in showing us how Anakin turned to the Dark Side... So yeah, 3 episodes to show us how he became a villain, and 3 episodes to show us what he did as a villain and how he redeemed himself, capped off by his cathartic death: as far as I am concerned, the very long and very interesting character arc of this guy is now over, we know everything we needed to know about him, and the whole narrative built around him has been succesfully resolved.

Episode VII is essentially a reboot. It doesn't add anything to first six episodes: instead, it kickstarts a fresh new narrative in the same universe. In simpler terms, it is not "we are exploring unresolved plot points of the concluded narrative", it is "we are giving you more Star Wars". And I am just not interested in that, I've had my fix of Star Wars already, I'm full. It's literally all there is to it.
If you see SW 1-6 as the story of Anakin and his rise/fall in the Force, then I could definitely see that mindset. It's not one I've heard of before, so it's interesting.

Personally, I've always been much more interested in the *lore* of Star Wars than the individual stories. The stories have always just been the lens through which I've digested the lore, which is why I've never had a particular hardon or hatred for any of the movies. I definitely think some of the stories are better than others (I don't care what you say, Christensen's Anakin is a whiney little shit, and his fall to the dark side is presented in such a way as to be wholely unbelievable), but I love learning about different Force traditions and the state of the galaxy and how one single hero moves the fate of trillions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
You realize that characters like Bane and Thrawn have been brought into Clone Wars and Rebels specifically so they can remain canon? The people that make those products are doing their best to preserve what fans enjoy. Keeping the EU is an impossible endeavour. It's too big and too convoluted and if you want to keep making movies there's too many legalities involved not to mention having your hands tied because you have to check hundreds of books to make sure you are in line with canon. Unlike fans, professionals who make the content are subject to deadlines and don't have tons of free time. Not to mention that Disney now owns all EU material so they can't pirate it. In a capitalist society you're allowed to use your property however you like.
I'm not going to get into this argument (yet again), as I have long since exhausted any entertainment value it ever had.
Disney may own it. They can do what they like with it. That doesn't mean I have to watch it or say that I like it. 10 years ago, there was an 800page summary of the EU, so yes, it is a big & bulky project, and a lot if it was crap. That said, if they're going to use Thrawn, they should at least make the Heir to the Empire trilogy cannon. It would certainly have been a better movie to try to make than TFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
I'm not going to get into this argument (yet again), as I have long since exhausted any entertainment value it ever had.
Disney may own it. They can do what they like with it. That doesn't mean I have to watch it or say that I like it. 10 years ago, there was an 800page summary of the EU, so yes, it is a big & bulky project, and a lot if it was crap. That said, if they're going to use Thrawn, they should at least make the Heir to the Empire trilogy cannon. It would certainly have been a better movie to try to make than TFA.
Well at the moment we have no idea what they have planned with Thrawn. He is a very important characters to fans of the EU, so I suspect the crew working on the show will try and approach it respectfully. Actually this doesn't even have to be an argument. Timothy Zahn is writing a new novel aptly called Thrawn which is due out next year. This will be a canon novel and it establishes that Zahn has an active say in how the character plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
I have a hard time grokking how making new content is killing a franchise, as opposed to no new content at all. The original content still exists and no one forces anyone to watch new movies. Mind you, that's the issue with the Fandom Menace, not only do they not like stuff, they don't want other people to like stuff either. I just hope they stay away from the kids who are having a good time pretending to be Finn and Rey.
It really has nothing to do with new content, but everything to do with he fact that the new Star Trek movies are mediocre at best, TFA just awful. In both cases the established EU was blown off and replaced by something that makes little sense.

At the risk of being completely off-topic, at least the new Star Trek show will be in the prime timeline, and without the renewed interest in the franchise sparked by the movies, it almost certainly wouldn't have been made. Now, there's no guarantees about what the quality of the new show will be, but at least it gives me what I was hoping for (a new show) in the continuity I was hoping for (long live Vulcan!). So it's better than nothing.

To go back to Star Wars, I haven't watched Rebels since season 1. I liked it while I was watching, but I can't remember much about it anymore and tbh I sort of forgot it existed. Is the new stuff worth a watch?

Jumping into this pretty late, but in response to an earlier comment about slapping brands onto other things that are clearly not the thing that peole are going there for.

In my personal experience, there has been one where yeah, it did have a negative effect and one where it was just kinda meh. The negative experience was Ace Combat Assault Horizon. It's a decent game, but it's completly NOT the franchise that i'm getting into. The meh one was on Godzilla (1999). A lot of people say the movie is bad, but one possible reason they think that is because they want a godzilla movie with rubber suited monsters. If it was called something else and NOT godzilla, it might have gone over better.

Another movie that i've heard this happening to was G-Force. The exact details of what that movie is isn't important right now. What is important is that for many people, G-Force was a VERY old anime that predated power rangers and ultraman in japan that was later exported to the americas. I have no idea what it was about, but when the new G-Force movie was released, the fans of that old anime were... dissapointed to say the least.

To anwser that question proposed, it's difficult like he said. In some cases it works, in others it doesn't work. As for the new star wars movie, i kinda liked it but yeah. it is kind of a rehash of Episode 4. It does leave a lot of mysteries open for the next pair of movies and who knows? maybe 8 and 9 will have a much more positive outlook on them.

Off topic for a sec. Oh, man G-Force (Battle of the Planets). I used to watch that every day after school. I'll tell you the first time I saw an original Japanese episode...it was an eye opener, that is for sure.

It's called Gatchaman and it's from 1972. It came to North America as Battle of the Planets in the late 70s. I know this because when I started watching it every morning circa 1979. I have since watched the original which still holds up well for a 44 year old anime. And yes the live action version of Gatchaman was not very good.