Profanity filter.... - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Profanity filter....

Profanity filter....

So here I was playing a game and this guy comes on ranting and raving (rather justified) about how others stole his war loot. He was, of course, swearing up a storm. I ask him to stop and he says to use the profanity filter and I said "I would rather use 'report'". This had the natural response you would expect.

He also, ironically, told me "this is a drama free guild." which prompted me to calmly say; "your the one bringing the drama". He went on and on how others use so much worse. Zoning out I thought of this place; profanity happens but is often drowned out by other non swearing posts (and I have yet to recall mod action from it, the context of the message sure but not just for the profanity) and I had never seen so much swearing as with a game with a profanity filter.

My question to the weave is this;

Do you think the presence of a filter would only invite people to swear more often? Like permission granted sort of thing.

Or are my ethics too out dated for modern MMORPGs?

I believe we have a filter. Also, we're a bunch of creative folk who shouldn't be confined by modern curse words to get our point across.

I think it's silly to berate somebody for using profanity. The only reason I use it rarely on this site is because I've gotten warnings for it before, and I'd rather not get banned.

Mind, I think there's a difference between using profanity for emphasis and using it every other word.

That said, it sounds more like the issue was this guy railing and generally making the experience unpleasant for everybody, not necessarily the profanity. I, too, would tell somebody to turn on their filter if they're that offended by it. That's what the filter is for.

I really don't care if a person curses but when you start reaching the 50% well...

That is kinda what prompted this.

AFAIK, some profanity is allowed "in character" but not in other parts of the site, such as OOC or the non-game forums. Self censoring is also not considered to be an acceptable work around. I could be wrong about that though, it's been a minute since I thoroughly reviewed that.

I'm not certain if MW has an actual filter, I believe it does but I'm not certain. I do know that at least one rule implies there may be a filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Rules
"Attempts to circumvent rules by self-censoring expletives in a fashion to obfuscate them or prevent their being filtered may be regarded as a separate offense in addition to what is being circumvented."
It's not something that's ever come up in any of my games or discussions, as Basil said, we're creative types that can usually come up with expletives far more entertaining than the stuff that would be banned.

I'm ok with profanity as long as it is occasional, not constant and making up the majority of what someone is saying.

In online games I just ignore it. I report for bad sportsmanship and bullying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
Self censoring is also not considered to be an acceptable work around. I could be wrong about that though, it's been a minute since I thoroughly reviewed that.
You are correct, as I ,unfortunately, found out recently.

Let's see...

Infernal

Note to self...learn how the language tags actually work before trying them.

Edit: Seriously "bloody" in infernal is "infernal"?

From now on I'm using the word "infernal" in the place of the word "bloody".

We have a filter in place because all of our site revenue comes from ads. Advertisers are less likely to support a website with "adult" themes or language, generally because it means a smaller advertising base. As a result, we have a very limited filter, and generally request that users not swear on this site, just as we ask them to not post other adult material (bloody violence, nudity, sexually explicit posts, drug-related posts, etc). It's a better alternative to shutting down the site.