The 2017 Memorial Thread - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The 2017 Memorial Thread

The 2017 Memorial Thread

As 2017 has now started (even if only in eastern Russia, New Zealand and some Pacific countries so far), I think it's best we get this thread set up.

So... which intro music do you think is the best for this thread? I've narrowed it down to three options, myself. We can go with the The Classic, The Classical, or The Ominous?

I considered using Imperial March or Night on Bald Mountain for the ominous option, but personally I think both of them are a bit overplayed and overhyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
I considered using Imperial March or Night on Bald Mountain for the ominous option, but personally I think both of them are a bit overplayed and overhyped.
So you suggested Mars: Bringer of War? Personally, given the global trend towards authoritarianism, I think the Imperial March fits just fine.

Well... the UK kicked the EU to the curb, and America did the same to the Clintons... so I'd say 2016 has shown a powerful push against authoritarianism. Doesn't mean the trends won't change again (a few years of growing resistance does not a new social order make), but for now we're going in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
Well... the UK kicked the EU to the curb, and America did the same to the Clintons... so I'd say 2016 has shown a powerful push against authoritarianism. Doesn't mean the trends won't change again (a few years of growing resistance does not a new social order make), but for now we're going in the right direction.
I don't think that choosing Trump over Clinton constitutes a push away from authoritarianism. Not that I'm upset to see the Clintons go away...

Hopefully, 2017 will be kinder to the talent in the world than 2016 was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
I don't think that choosing Trump over Clinton constitutes a push away from authoritarianism. Not that I'm upset to see the Clintons go away...
At the risk of being political...how was anything related to the 2016 election a "push away from authoritarianism"? As a person who actually identifies and believes in the concept of authoritarianism. All the 2016 election came across was, was a giant confirmation of my beliefs that democracy as a whole is a flawed system, whose flaws have been ignored for far too long, because of what is basically "appeal to tradition" at this point in time.

(Maybe it's a push against "paternalism" instead of a push against "authoritarianism"?)

At the moment, my optimistically-oriented theme music is "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
RIP 2016, 2017's first victim.
Technically 2016 was dead before 2017 was born. All of one second dead, and still warm, but dead nonetheless.

*raised metaphorical glass*

Here's to all those nameless people who died via accidents/murders/overdoses/etc just before, during and immediately after their New Years Party.

Here's also to all those people wishing for death, thanks to the massive hangover they woke up with this morning.