2017 Movie Watch - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

2017 Movie Watch

I went and saw the Transformers (starring Marky Mark) last (or two Christmases ago?) year with my cousin who's a huge cinephile. It was opening weekend -or at least close- and we were in the IMAX 3D theater. I'm not sure I've audibly cackled that much in a movie outside of my own home in a very long time. The director choices were physically comical to see put into action on the screen. I honestly think Bay is just trolling everyone with how ridiculous his choices are.

That's the kind of memories I have about the Transformer movies. But to be fair, I was a GI Joe, TMNT, and X-Men kid growing up. And even then, I'm not sure that any of them except the X-Men franchise has ever really been a huge nostalgia must-have for me.

But I'm also not sure if I was their target audience for the Transformer movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Incidentally, is The Mummy any good?
Which one? There are at least three movies of that title, one of which isn't even out yet.

I watched the trailer for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and feel dirty. It's like some Gladiator/Lord of the Rings mash-up where instead of forging order out of dark age chaos, Arthur gets to overthrow a made-up dictator while showing off his impeccable pecs.

Unrelatedly, my daughter predictably squee'd over the Beauty and the Beast trailer, not even realizing that it's Hermione Granger--she's only just now old enough to be reading and watching the Harry Potter series. I really hope that one is better than some of the other live-action remakes of Disney classics.

I red boxed Pete's Dragon out of pure nostalgia and was reminded of two things. Dragons do not always = good movies. Somethings should remain in the Cloudy past as a pleasant memory. I passed on Peter Pan. I just didn't have the courage to do it. But I did see the Jungle Book in 3d with my nephew. It was actually the closest adaptation of Rudyard Kiplings novel to date. There were a few differences. And I could have done withou the two songs it. But it wasn't terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Whew, that inflation..
I would have called it the "600 billion dollar man", if just for the Austin Powers shout-out.

Well, according to a CNN Money article from 2008 that original $6 Million would be worth $26 Million. However, a Mechanical engineer interviewed suggested that for such a project the R&D and design process would probably cost around $100 Million. I guess at Six Billion there have been few upgrades added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Incidentally, is The Mummy any good?
The new Mummy movie, staring Tom Cruise, is a planned re-launch vehicle for the Universal Monsters. They have Frankenstein, The Mummy, Van Helsing and Dr. Jekyll movies currently being planned. There was talk of including Luke Evans reprising the role of Dracula, but from what I understand that has fallen thru. So, I think there will be another plan for that character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar1809 View Post
I red boxed Pete's Dragon out of pure nostalgia and was reminded of two things. Dragons do not always = good movies. Somethings should remain in the Cloudy past as a pleasant memory. I passed on Peter Pan. I just didn't have the courage to do it. But I did see the Jungle Book in 3d with my nephew. It was actually the closest adaptation of Rudyard Kiplings novel to date. There were a few differences. And I could have done withou the two songs it. But it wasn't terrible.
There are a lot of family and friends that know that I cherished my copy of that movie as a child and were excited for me when the remake was announced. I was not amused. Pete's Dragon was invisible, green technocolored, and just a tiny bit of a pain in the ass.

He did not save a child from some perceived jungle danger (or whatever the trailer depicted).