rpg ebboks - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

rpg ebboks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
The whole concept businesses have of people in general and piracy is a complete joke. Most people would never pirate anything unless they felt a need to. Most people pirate out of spite for what they feel are corporations taking advantage of them by selling crap quality merchandise. So people say screw that and pirate it. Also if an item is too expensive, then people will pirate as well. I highly doubt most normal individuals would second guess a price if it was normal. I sure don't. Money is money, its to be used. I only second guess when an item might be to expensive or is way to expensive.

So basically it all boils down to the corporations needing a reality check. Piracy is unlikely to go away completely, but corporations can get back the normal people if they would just lower prices and make better quality.

Also as a side note, WoTC policy of making so many god forsaken books is lunacy. That is probably their single biggest loss of money due to piracy; as their quality is not terrible, although I think it could be a lot better myself.
I agree. I have lots of music I never listen to and would never have bought anyway. If I see a cheap DVD of a good movie, I'll buy it even if I already had a ripped version. In one particular case I had to download something because there didn't exist a dvd with the right area code.
And, more to the point, using a scanned pdf is terrible. It is good to take a look to see whether it's interesting, but to actually use a book, I prefer to have it on paper, and buying it is cheaper than printing it.

The market stolen by piracy isn't very big, because these people wouldn't buy anyway. This is especially true for books.

I have heard rumors that some of WotC's employees are rather unhappy with the pulling of the pdfs. I won't go into particulars but the person I talked to went on to say that there is a faction who hopes to see the pdfs offered as part of the subscription service.

Personally I'd prefer to see the pdfs returned to general sale but I suspect that isn't going to happen. I keep buying the Saga books but I have to admit that I like having pdfs handy as they are much easier to transport and access with my online games.

Before my gaming group collapsed, I was designated bookkeeper, since I actually had the space, but I outright refused to let the group game at my place. That means I either had to get every book we needed to the game (at its worst, that clocked in at a hundred friggin' pounds) to wherever we were gaming, or get it on pdf so I could just bring Lappy. Considering Lappy and I are practically married, and I bring him along anyways, I very much prefer to have the option of getting a pdf.

As far as I know, you can still download a ton of torrents for 3.5e stuff, though I don't know about 4e. If WoTC was trying to stymie piracy, well they certainly failed in that respect. Otherwise, buy the hard copy. I love the actual books for browsing through, so it works well for me. Otherwise, I have no problem with the PDF's if I need to find out some obscure rule or specifics about a certain class. The books have gone up dramatically in price over the last 10 years, so there's obviously a serious mark-up put on the books. PDF's are certainly a nice alternative.

Quote:
WOTC has stopped selling all PDF versions of their rulebooks and no legitimate means of acquiring them in that format remain. The company is engaged in lawsuits against several people over online piracy of their products. You're out of luck.
Ah this explains it. I went looking to purchase the digital copeis of some 4e books and couldn't find any at my usual stores.

Rather disappointed at that.