WoLT: Johnstoning: Tormauz Timeline - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

WoLT: Johnstoning: Tormauz Timeline

WoLT: Johnstoning: Tormauz Timeline

Goal:
This exercise is being done to develop an interesting back story in the form of a timeline for the WoLT country known as Tormauz. Recent history is top priority, but long term history builds the current history, so start anywhere you like.

Getting Started:
-suggest a new plot element or five
-expand on an existing element or ten
-ask many questions as questions lead to new assertions

Whoever posts first gets to make the starting assertion (unless they fail to do so).

A vest of enchanted chainmail was involved in the mysterious disappearance of the New Horde when they were about to assault Tormauz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhitefire View Post
A vest of enchanted chainmail was involved in the mysterious disappearance of the New Horde when they were about to assault Tormauz.

GM notesThis is OK to assert, but with the following understanding: The New Horde was mostly wiped out by Arid's flame jets, the ones that disappeared actually telelported away to a phase realm inhabited by one of the ancients to escape to their base of operations.

there is more details but they aren't relevant, yet. FYI that was a whole series of adventures. Having a set of chainmail involved doesn't change cannon but might make the story more interesting.

Now I'll add mine in: YES, but it was one of many

Well, I'm new to Johnstoning, but to give it a shot...

YES, and it was gifted to them by their patron, the Ancient whose realm the group teleported to. The old being had invested time and power into this group, it would not see them sacrificed so easily.

As to where the armour came from, I'm going to guess at least some of Kedra's forces pressed into Drammun after her 'death'. Whilst not as renowned as the blade, these suits would gain a similar history, swapping hands again and again, occasionally through trade, but mostly through death. Their use by this small group of the New Horde was their first apperance outside Drammun since they entered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
Well, I'm new to Johnstoning, but to give it a shot...

YES, and it was gifted to them by their patron, the Ancient whose realm the group teleported to. The old being had invested time and power into this group, it would not see them sacrificed so easily.

As to where the armour came from, I'm going to guess at least some of Kedra's forces pressed into Drammun after her 'death'. Whilst not as renowned as the blade, these suits would gain a similar history, swapping hands again and again, occasionally through trade, but mostly through death. Their use by this small group of the New Horde was their first apperance outside Drammun since they entered it.
This is completely concurrent with the plot of the story.

Additional background since it is becoming relevant: The Ancient was raised by Azzarris, a grand servitor accidentally unleashed by Arid under false pretenses. Azzarris stirred Agross, and in his stirred slumber he inhabited a great world tree in this phase dimension off the coast of the Northern Wilderness where a camp of an orcish horde toiled under it's bidding. Azzarris however, found his defeat on Oceanda, the great turtle, and the Horde is gearing up for a confrontation with Arid at the present time, however, it has been almost a decade, one has to wonder what happened in that time span. Arid on the other hand, has a massive story associated here that I won't get into because he's a major canon NPC and probably shouldn't be used unless needed).

Yes, And because it was gifted them by the ancient, their highest ranking officers are the only ones who get to wear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhitefire View Post
Yes, And because it was gifted them by the ancient, their highest ranking officers are the only ones who get to wear them.
I'll go with this, but you do understand the whole point of the armor is to act as a unit right? Having the lead of each plattoon in the horde would make the armor lose it's magical function and thereby make the great enchantment wasted. They need to be in a reasonable formation in order for it to work according to sage's write up.

When I say Horde, we're talking large like LoTR 3 Horde. That kind of distance would render the armor moot. It would be more efficient to have a single elite plattoon that wore it.

Yes, BUT who do you think it was survived the battle?

Not all of them, perhaps, a subset, a legion within the Horde. But Azzarris knows Orcs well, each warrior of renown wants to lead his little army. By granting them this armor, once things started to go wrong (as they surely would) the commanders could reassemble, and thus he's ensured that a large portion of the deadliest warriors survived, being saved for something by their master.

Also, just realizing we need a pick for this awesome legionaire armor. I was also considering that it be just a wrist band or perhaps a badge or something that goes on the warrior. The reason being, if the elves or dwarves created it, and the Orks have it now, well the armor shouldn't fit, and I'm not a big fan of "magic armor that auto-resizes to the user" that's a bit too high fantasy and more akin to DnD. Enchantments in this world, especially powerful ones, are incredibly rare.

Thoughts anyone? Specifically looking at Whitefire and Moral since you guys have been working on this so far.